Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

First DIY: Classix II success!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First DIY: Classix II success!

I was in the market to replace my dead sound bar and I happened to see a YouTube video review of the Overnight Sensations. Needless to say, it put me in the diy speaker rabbit hole. After setting a budget, I decided on the Classix II. My time, space, and wood finishing skills are limited, so I used the .52 cuft. BR1 ported cabinet from PE. They came together like a dream and I had them up and running in a few hours. I used the recommended nodal technique to make sense of the schematic since it was my first time soldering as well. Here is how I laid it out (assembled on the cardboard they shipped in, no less):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	classixiixover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1193061

It seems there are hundreds of Classix II builds, but I just wanted to thank Paul and the forums for allowing me to lurk and learn! :D

Re: First DIY: Classix II success!

First off, welcome to the club (and rabbit-hole). I used the same cardboard XO design when I built my ClassixII's, so I think it looks great.

We always like to see finished pics, so don't be shy to throw a couple phone pics of the final product. You'll love the speakers, they hit way above their price!
    Paul

The "SB's" build page
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Welcome to the club!

My first build were the Classix II's also. And they are still my favorites. Not because they are my first build but because it was like Paul Carmody had designed them just for me. I listen to rock and blues mostly, and most of what I listen to are my ripped 320 bit mp3's and they do a fantastic job reproducing the songs and a awesome job pulling double duty with home theater.

Post some pics when you get a chance and your review of the sound. Let us all know what you think.

Kevin
      Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
      OS MTM's
      Digger 8 sub
      Overnight Sensations Center Channel
      Sprite Build
      Wolf's PC Speakers
      Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! As requested, here are some pics. I just figured the br1 cabinets are pretty basic, so no need to elaborate. I run them on an SMSL Q5 and the sound is fantastic and the bass is surprising in a clean way, never obtrusive. I think they are sounding better by the day. I use them for Pandora and the occasional movie or video game. I have yet to really crank them on an intense game of Uncharted or the shootout from Heat. And I have to agree, every consideration that Paul put into this design applies to my situation as well. They just seem to make everything sound great.
        The final product.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-26-17-27-25.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1170004

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-26-17-33-00.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1170005

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-26-17-27-41.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1170006

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-26-17-28-43.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1170007
        The scuffs are from the grills being damaged during delivery :\. A little glue and they are back to normal. I was wondering if I should be co concerned about the gap between the tweeter flange and the baffle recess.

Comment

First off, those look really nice and I Totally wouldn't of thought of re-purposing the BR-1 cabs...smart idea.

I wouldn't be too worried about the gap on the tweeter, unless you're going to measure them, I don't think you will actually "hear" the difference.

How big is the port (wide??) the kit calls for a 1-1/2" x 4" port, and you look to have a 7-1/2" long port. This would tune it much lower than intended, unless it's a 2" port??? If it is in fact 1-1/2" diameter, maybe see if you can remove it and trim it to about 4-1/2" and give it a listen. I found that Paul's designs really hit that bass sweet-spot for me, which means there 2-3 db bump before the roll-off. Just my thoughts, but up to you, that's why it's DIY, you can change and adjust to fit your tastes.
          Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

Yeah, there's some parallax going on in that photo. The port is a little less than 1.5" diameter by 6.5" long. The odd part is that the plastic port opening is pressed into a heavy duty paper tube with a larger inside diameter. My guess is that the paper tube is 1.75" inside diameter. I don't know if that helps keep it closer to the designed tuning.

Comment

So according to the Q&A on the PE site, the BR1 cab port is 1.5 inches in diameter and tuned to 38hz. I figured for 60 bucks, it was worth a shot. Short of measuring it, I imagine I won't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Diskiodo View Post
                So according to the Q&A on the PE site, the BR1 cab port is 1.5 inches in diameter and tuned to 38hz. I figured for 60 bucks, it was worth a shot. Short of measuring it, I imagine I won't notice.
                I just read through some of the notes in the BR-1 kit and saw the 38-Hz tuning, you are good and should sound great. I totally agree, buying those cabs gives you a great cabinet with all the accessories to convert to the ClassixII while gaining an increase in sound over the stock kit. I love mine, so I think you will be very happy for a long time, or until you decide to go back down the rabbit-hole again.
                Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

Damn, good call on using the BR-1 cabinet. I feel like a dummy for not recommending that to people sooner.

I'm very glad you like them.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks Paul(s)! I was trying to keep the budget around 200 dollars, so the BR-1 cabs were a great way to free up extra money for drivers and xover parts instead of buying a router, jigs, veneers, etc. I'm no designer and I may be getting ahead of myself, but it does make me wonder about what else can work in that cabinet; hitting as low as the Classix do, but with an even flatter response. As it is I am very, very happy with them.

Comment

I caved and bought the parts to build these. Should be a quick build!
                      Nice work on the Classix II adaptation Diskiodo.
                      My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Originally posted by silverD View Post
                        Just be prepared to glue the round pegs back onto the grills. I used a big bead of Goop.

Comment

Originally posted by Diskiodo View Post
                          ...but it does make me wonder about what else can work in that cabinet; hitting as low as the Classix do, but with an even flatter response....
                          That's always my quest. So far, I really haven't found anything under $100 that can play that low in that size cabinet.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

That reminds me that I have a set of original Classix that are almost finished .. need to get on that

Comment

Originally posted by silverD View Post
                              I completed my Classix II build and it can be seen here. Thanks again to Paul and Diskiodo.
                              My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
                              X