X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Re: Alternate take on Chris Perez's Cinema Tablet radio

I like it. I've been thinking about building a similar sized/shape box with bluetooth and a pair of Aura NS3's. I'll be looking forward to seeing your build. I think it could be helpful in making some decisions on my own build

Leave a comment:

• David Crewe
    replied

This is a cool little project . I think I would put the jack on the back and have a little gizzy that would keep the wire from falling behind it. Something as simple as an eye hook. It would keep the front cleaner looking.
    David

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

I like that. Maybe add a little more separation at the base, wider recess or a black base? Align the volume knob horizontally with the drivers?

If you can pull off that routed curved channel that will look very upscale.

I'm sure I could help you move these

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Good suggestions.

I placed the switches and stuff in the middle section up top where it will be easier to fiddle with...

I think putting the input jack on top is a good idea also, that is likely where a device will be placed if it is being used as a source anyway.
    Now that I look at it, I think having the source switch point up for the line-in input makes more sense than what I have pictured. Down should be the Bluetooth. Little details, but it makes more sense that way I think.

Thanks for the good ideas John.

I'm hoping to start making some sawdust this weekend since I have a few days off and the time to fiddle with it a bit.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

You could try stacks of three in a column? Maybe put the controls in a middle column using a matching aluminum volume knob.

I like the idea of resting my phone on the top, maybe put the input jack on the top off to one side? I like the base and the color.

I'd probably fiddle with the height width proportions.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Okay, well after thinking about it a bit, I see one obvious problem: The controls are too close to the bottom, it would be hard to adjust knobs and flip switches where they are at.

I may try to put those at the top of the unit to make fiddlin' with the switchgear easier.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    started a topic Alternate take on Chris Perez's Cinema Tablet radio

Alternate take on Chris Perez's Cinema Tablet radio

Don't know if anyone had a chance to see and hear Chris Perez's cinema tablet sound system at the MWAF this year, but it was a pretty nice piece of hardware in a fairly compact size. It sounded very nice too.
    I've asked him several questions on it and how it went together... basically his way of designing it was very ingenious and he used the space very effectively.

I was given four of the Aurasound Cougar 1" drivers awhile back and over the summer I purchased the rest of the parts to put it together. I'm thinking of going with a different layout, but using the same combo of drivers:

Does this look too weird? I kind of like it and my wife says it's nice, but she's a speaker gal too thanks to me. It's about 9" wide, 5" deep and 13" or so tall.
    This will be given to my wife's sister who lives in a small apartment in Manhattan. I know counter/desk space is at a premium there and I wanted to go up to gain volume as opposed to wider. The two ND91's look pretty good vented with a 1.5x7" vent. Excursion doesn't exceed Xmax until below 40 Hz with the 30 watts that the amp delivers. At max it looks like it could produce around 84 db at 40 Hz without pushing them too far.

The switch on the right is to switch between the 3.5mm input and the internal bluetooth module. The round thing on the far right is a momentary switch to 'break' the power going to the bluetooth module so it can be paired with a different phone/tablet without powering down the whole thing.

I'm going to use these drivers and amp/hardware, but what would you change or do differently visually or layout wise?

TomZ
Working...
X