Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Fun with the Dayton B652-AIR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with the Dayton B652-AIR

Had some of these sitting around from when I moved into the new place and was without a decent HT setup and was about to give them to my buddy's son when I thought I might see if there was any improvement to be made in the sound. I sensed some potential when I used them for a short while, but only just potential, they were sort of shrill and made me cringe with some music. Took one apart and found only a 6.8uf cap and 3 ohm resistor on the tweeter. Here is the factory response:

Yeah... So taking aim at the woofer first I tanked the breakup as economically as possible. Lost some sensitivity and had to rework the tweeter to level match. Here is the result:

Using an 18g air core, Audyn caps, and Dayton resistors. About $14 per speaker. Have not listened to them yet, but I'll report back when (if) I do. Obviously I wouldn't normally put this sort of thing out there without listening, but I thought given the price and expectations, why not, someone might try it and like it. Enjoy!
    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
    DriverVault

Re: Fun with the Dayton B652-AIR

Looks like a nice cost effective improvement. Awesome.
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I had some fun improving the same speaker as well, but took a different tact.... They are now my backup when I don't have my Intimates to listen to as was the case recently when they were being demo'd at RMAF.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...highlight=b652
      Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Well done. I have a friend that has that speaker I might have to see f I can convince him to let me mod them for him.

Comment

Can you do some compression testing for the tweeter? That would be interesting to see.

Comment

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
            Can you do some compression testing for the tweeter? That would be interesting to see.
            Not all AMT tweeters are the same. How can that be? because some sell for $20 or so and others for $200. I would strongly suspect those little AMT's in the very low cost 'air' speaker fall into the former category and would thus fare poorly in a compression test of the type done by the NRC for soundstage.com - if that is what you are referring to.

I have tested the Mundorf AMT's in my Intimates at 70 AND 90 dB and at 90 dB linearity was still quite good with some bumps in the FR rising only 1 or 2 dB vs the 70 dB curve.
            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
              I'm in an apartment now so I can't do that sort of thing anymore.
              ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
              DriverVault

Comment

Working...
              X