OT: Anyone use a Moto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Anyone use a Moto?

While I was Christmas shopping I ran across a Moto watch display and was intrigued by what I saw. So I wondered if anyone had any experience with these and what they thought of them?

Now, my wife was not very happy with me though. I have always been a watch junkie and have a Movado, a Rado Diastar Chronograph, and for our 25th anniversary my wife and I bought each other our choice of another well known Swiss watch, and that's the one I wear on a daily basis now. She let me know that there was no way I was wearing a Moto instead of the one she got me..... but I'm still kind curious.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Re: OT: Anyone use a Moto?

If the "Well Known Swiss watch" is a Rolex, and she bought it for you? Well,,,, than your done! My wife wears one and they really are the best! Be happy and save your money for something more important like more speakers! Remember, Happy Wife,,,, Happy Life!

Good luck, Mark

Comment

This is sweet Jeff, thanks for pointing it out. I do have Android and always have, but I've never used one of these or even seen one. I love watches too. Guessing this is Android's answer to the Apple watch. On my want list for sure.

Speaking of swiss watches... my dream watch is a Tag Carrera Calibre 1887, maybe once the kids move out. Tissot makes some really nice watches on the more affordable end.
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Hi Jeff
        Funny I'm also wondering about the Moto. In fact not sure if I would even go back to wearing a watch at all!. Always loved watches but with the phone handling calendars, alarms, reminders, etc it obviates the practical need. Also since I retired I only wear my beloved watches for dress occasions...just jewelry really. In fact last time I dressed for dinner both my Movado and Rado had dead batteries so went with my old Seiko. But that said, I just read a review of the new 2015 moto 360. Pretty cool and very "watch like". Seems to be limited by the Google Wear software though. So maybe wait for the next update? Intriguing though. Hope there are some owners here with first hand impressions.
        Cheers
        CC

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
          If the "Well Known Swiss watch" is a Rolex, and she bought it for you? Well,,,, than your done! My wife wears one and they really are the best! Be happy and save your money for something more important like more speakers! Remember, Happy Wife,,,, Happy Life!

Good luck, Mark
          Well, we got them for each other;). I chose an Explorer, she got the fancy watch. Gold and platinum, diamond bezel, etc (she's definitely worth it though). I don't want to get rid of the Explorer, but the technology of the Moto looked really cool. It's real point of conflict here - an Explorer vs Technology. I'm probably a old school guy anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
            This is sweet Jeff, thanks for pointing it out. I do have Android and always have, but I've never used one of these or even seen one. I love watches too. Guessing this is Android's answer to the Apple watch. On my want list for sure.

Speaking of swiss watches... my dream watch is a Tag Carrera Calibre 1887, maybe once the kids move out. Tissot makes some really nice watches on the more affordable end.
            I had a TAG for a while, but that was before the Rado, which a I liked a lot better. If you think Tissot makes a nice watch for the money. Here's the best value I have found anywhere - the Military Watch Company, which provides watches to government services, NATO, police, etc. Their divers watches are Swiss made, 24 jewel automatics, and I will let you guess who makes a LOT of the parts.
            http://www.mwcwatches.com/product_info.php?products_id=38&osCsid=84jblofi68m 23imt8ni9vkjsj0

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              Well, we got them for each other;). I chose an Explorer, she got the fancy watch. Gold and platinum, diamond bezel, etc (she's definitely worth it though). I don't want to get rid of the Explorer, but the technology of the Moto looked really cool. It's real point of conflict here - an Explorer vs Technology. I'm probably a old school guy anyway.
              That IS what you need to decide. Do you need all that technology on your wrist? Or do you just need to know what time it is?

Oh and,,,, do you really need to tick off the wife like that?

I'd stick with "Vintage" but I'm a vintage kind of guy. Not ticking off the wife,,,,, Priceless!

Only you can decide. Good luck, Mark

Comment

Jeff, you have me seriously interested in these. I'm going to do more research, but the Huawei watches look pretty cool too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013LK...oBL&ref=plSrch
                "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

I have read that while the Apple Watch has not yet garnered the buy in they had hoped for, they have found the most used feature is for checking the time! :p

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    I had a TAG for a while, but that was before the Rado, which a I liked a lot better. If you think Tissot makes a nice watch for the money. Here's the best value I have found anywhere - the Military Watch Company, which provides watches to government services, NATO, police, etc. Their divers watches are Swiss made, 24 jewel automatics, and I will let you guess who makes a LOT of the parts.
                    http://www.mwcwatches.com/product_info.php?products_id=38&osCsid=84jblofi68m 23imt8ni9vkjsj0

Jeff
                    Those MWC watches look very interesting. Kind of a take on IWC? I've had my eye on Luminox for years, but for some reason can't seem to pull the trigger. Maybe it is the Navy Seal hype; the MWC looks like better value.

My main Swiss watch is an Omega seamaster deville, which was passed down from my late dad. It's vintage automatic from the 70's, and requires me to wear it daily or else it stops. Looks nice, and kind of cool it has no battery, but not very pragmatic.

I also have a some low-end Swiss watches, such as Mondaine (official timekeeper for Swiss Rail). Actually a gift I bought for my wife, but she doesn't wear a watch now and gave it back to me.

Last and probably least is a Swatch chronometer which was given to all employees by my company on its 150th anniversary.

Comment

Interesting find Jeff! Last year my wife got me one of those unnamed Swiss watches, it hasn't been off my wrist since. All it does is tell the time accurately and give me the date.
                      I did a lot of looking back then, and was impressed by Ball watches, but didn't know anyone that had one. They seemed to be quite high value Swiss technology. Also there are a lot of interesting watches, many of them German with Swiss parts, at Watchmann.com.

Comment

My view of watches is that I want one that tells time and not one that is internet connected or does back flips. My go to watch brand is Citizen-- especially their Eco Drive line which is solar powered. You never have to worry about a dead battery and they keep excellent time. Citizen has Eco models that go from the low $100s to more than $2000 satellite wave models. My favorite one has a titanium case/band and a sapphire crystal. That model costs about $250 or so.

I did receive a Rolex watch for 25 years with TI several years ago and I sold it within a week. It was too heavy, kept mediocre time, had to be wound, etc.

No fancy fad watch for me.

Comment

Hey jeff, i got a moto360 first gen earlier this month. I absolutely love it. I disabled most of the notifications on it, so with just the fitness tracking and time functions the battery lasts me more than a day.

I love the ability to have a face to match different clothes. I download all mine at facerepo.com. most of the faces i have are interactive. I can remove bezels invert colours and some of them have functional stopwatches etc. I quite like it and recommend it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151116_121618.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1170274

Comment

My wife has the 1st gen 360 and likes it. Her biggest complaint is not being able to make and receive calls. There are a few bugs with it that are a pain such as it doens't always pair and the screen doesn't appear. And it has to be charged to work obviously, as opposed to an automatic that just goes. She always misplaces her phone in the house (works from home) and the auto find feature is handy for her. I love techy stuff, and utilize the google platforms from chromebook to android, but I love automatic watches more;) If you have a chrome OS device, I know you can pair the watch making it a trusted device, so you don't need to use your password.

Omega's are pretty, and my Seiko can take a beating. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know a good American watchmaker?

Comment

I had a moto guzzi. My biggest complaint was the fact I always arrived ahead of time. I think it ran fast or somthing like that. It was a little heavy too.
                              Last edited by craigk; 11-16-2015, 02:45 PM.
                              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
                              X