3-Way using 8" midrange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-Way using 8" midrange?

Im looking for some advice on designing an efficient 3 way speaker design using a 12" woofer, 8" mid and 1" dome tweeter. My crossver points are roughly 350 Hz / 2000 Hz 2nd order filters. Normally a smaller mid driver would be used, but I wanted to be different and use as an 8" mid.

The driver I'm specifically looking at is a Silver Flute W20RC38-04. One of the main draws for going with this driver its high efficiency that matches well with the 12" sub driver in regards to efficeincy. Does anyone have any experience or advise on going with an 8" mid? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 3-Way using 8" midrange?

What are you planning on using for a crossover?

Plus, I'm not sure that woofer would like being crossed at 2k.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I would build this if it were me. Not exactly what you want but it will be efficient. http://www.diysoundgroup.com/maximus-12/maximus-12.html

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
        I would build this if it were me. Not exactly what you want but it will be efficient. http://www.diysoundgroup.com/maximus-12/maximus-12.html
        Interestingly, Norton blocks me from diysoundgroup as an unsafe site. I wonder what's up with that?
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          Interestingly, Norton blocks me from diysoundgroup as an unsafe site. I wonder what's up with that?
          I use avast and have no issue. I am not a fan of Norton. It is usually the first thing I uninstall on a new PC lol. It's your Maximus design.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
            What are you planning on using for a crossover?

Plus, I'm not sure that woofer would like being crossed at 2k.
            Do you think 2k is too high due to the 5k peak? I haven't done any XO modeling yet, but a tank filter might get rid of that peaking at 5k? I'll try some modeling just to see how it looks.

Comment

That driver will handle 2K with no issues. Really good sounding driver.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by malderink View Post
                Do you think 2k is too high due to the 5k peak? I haven't done any XO modeling yet, but a tank filter might get rid of that peaking at 5k? I'll try some modeling just to see how it looks.
                I think it will be possible to cross the SF woofer somewhere between 1.5 kHz and 2 kHz. The challenge with crossing an 8" to a tweeter in that range is that the woofer's off axis response is dropping off pretty quickly by then, but the tweeter's will be strong. You might consider using the RS28 tweeter along with the Denovo SEOS 8 waveguide that is made to go with it. That will help match the off axis response of the two drivers at your crossover point. The RS28 has also been crossed as low as 1 kHz, which would be a nice option to have if you have trouble getting the Silver Flute woofer to sound good up to 2 kHz.
                Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                  I think it will be possible to cross the SF woofer somewhere between 1.5 kHz and 2 kHz. The challenge with crossing an 8" to a tweeter in that range is that the woofer's off axis response is dropping off pretty quickly by then, but the tweeter's will be strong. You might consider using the RS28 tweeter along with the Denovo SEOS 8 waveguide that is made to go with it. That will help match the off axis response of the two drivers at your crossover point. The RS28 has also been crossed as low as 1 kHz, which would be a nice option to have if you have trouble getting the Silver Flute woofer to sound good up to 2 kHz.
                  Hmm, originally I was planning on using a pair of Seas 27TFF tweeters that I had on hand. Tweeter Fs is at 1200 Hz so I may have to re-adjust the XO point or move to 3rd order.

Comment

Originally posted by malderink View Post
                    Hmm, originally I was planning on using a pair of Seas 27TFF tweeters that I had on hand. Tweeter Fs is at 1200 Hz so I may have to re-adjust the XO point or move to 3rd order.
                    The 27TFF has a nice flat faceplate, so it should work with the Denovo waveguide. The higher Fs means you will have to cross higher (2 kHz is as low as I would dare try with that tweeter and I would use a 4th order slope).
                    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                      I use avast and have no issue. I am not a fan of Norton. It is usually the first thing I uninstall on a new PC lol. It's your Maximus design.
                      I like Norton now-days. It seems to be pretty fast and very good at what it does. I get the newest version of its full Internet Security at a very good price through my employer. My wife likes the "Safe Search" extension for Firefox and that's what flagged the diysoundgroup site. It doesn't show any virus or malware, but it has an "annoyance rating", which seems odd. I told Norton to click on through to it.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                        The 27TFF has a nice flat faceplate, so it should work with the Denovo waveguide. The higher Fs means you will have to cross higher (2 kHz is as low as I would dare try with that tweeter and I would use a 4th order slope).
                        The 22TFF works with the SEOS 8, the 27 may work as well.
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

That was brought up on AVS about a week ago. Norton's says there's no computer or identity threats, but lists 1 "annoyance factor". :rolleyes: Yet no one at Norton's seems to even know what that means. Some guys on AVS thought it was a loud music annoyance factor! :D

No clue what to do about it if Norton's says it's clean, but can't tell me what is so annoying. Seems like a class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Comment

Just the name says it all.... "Maximus 12." I've had my eye on a set of those puppies since the first time I become aware of the design. I too like to think (emphasis on think) I live in the high SPL/Efficiency school of speaker design.

One question though, what do they really sound like? Warm, harsh at the top? I've never had the pleasure of actually hearing any in real life. The giant midrange concept has come to me before also. Thanks in advance, all the best, Mike

Comment

I have Norton, too, but had no trouble getting on the diysoundgroup site.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X