DATS and Calibration Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DATS and Calibration Hell

Like many of you, I've had a hell of a time calibrating DATS version 1.02 to consistently work every time. It's been total hell, until today. On top of everything else, I upgraded to Windows 10, so when I needed DATS to calibrate properly in order to measure a woofer for Beau, I got nothing but crap. I thought about going back to W7, but then decided to tweak a few things to see if I could solve this issue. So, I started playing with the different settings in the Sound panel, especially the Level in the Recording tab. DATS recommends that the level be set to 1, but as I increased the level, the calibration got better, and the phase and impedance plot lines got cleaner. With my current recording level at 18, DATS calibrated in one shot, and measurements are clean. Take a look for yourself. You may want to play with the recording level in your particular set up if you're having issues. I had a lot of problems calibrating with W7, but all my computers have since migrated to Win10, so if someone can test this and let us know. Thanks.

Pic 1: Mic Level at 1 as recommended.
    Pic 2: TS done at Level 1.
    Pic 3: Mic Level at 18.
    Pic 4: TS done at Level 18.
    Attached Files
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Re: DATS and Calibration Hell

I've noticed it helps to plug into the same USB port every time and make sure it's plugged in before opening DATS. I let mine sit for about 1 min before trying to calibrate. After doing this, I haven't had any issues.
    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Dats Hell. In Theaters this Summer.
      I have been there too but never tried any other settings. Thank you for sharing.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I've had mostly good luck with my dats (on Win7). Kerry has some good points that I also follow - always use the same USB port and always allow a couple minutes after plugging in before you try to calibrate and use it.

Good luck everyone.

Comment

I noticed that the Win10 upgrade changed my USB ports back to single channel configuration. You might check them and make sure they are set to two channel. Also, I also found that the "warm up time" is longer with Win10 - like ten minutes in my case. But after resetting the USB configuration andwaiting, the plots are smooth as butter.
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

When I had a WT3 I had always set the level to about 50 in Win8 and Win10. Setting to 1 is far too low making the signal incredibly noisy, as a can be seen in Hong's screenshots.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Try to increase the recording level higher, and your wait time will significantly decrease. I've tried this on 2 laptops now, with different USB ports, and it has consistently calibrated in less than 30 seconds. I'm a happy dude.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
                I noticed that the Win10 upgrade changed my USB ports back to single channel configuration. You might check them and make sure they are set to two channel.
                Where is that setting? Device Manager?
                ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                  Where is that setting? Device Manager?
                  In the Advanced tab of the Sound control panel.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                  Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Are you all using Output level 100?

Well, I just tried "Recording" level 15 and it looks waaaay better. Thanks!

I happen to have mine set to run in "Compatibility Mode" (Windows XP SP3). I'll try turning that off next...

Here's RS28F measured with WT3 running in XP "Compatibility Mode" with Recording (input) level set to 15:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	WT3 Rec Vol 18 - RS28F.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	1171145

There seems to still be a little bit of a ripple problem I've highlighted with yellow highlighter.

I turned it up to "25" and the ripples went away.

OK, well in "compatibility mode" at 18 volume, in a different USB port it still had a little rippling and also stability problems.

I've tried a different USB port, turned off compatibility mode, and tweaked the Recording volume to "20" and seem to be getting consistent good results now...

RS28F with those settings:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	WT3 Rec Vol 20 - RS28F.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1171146
                    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

My DATS doesn't seem to want to work with windows 10 on my computer.

Call me dumb, but I cant find the "Advanced tab of the Sound control panel" anywhere.
                      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Tom,

Go to Control Panel, select Sound, then the Recording tab. Double-click on the DATS USB device. You should see 5 tabs, the last one is the Advanced. Set the Level to 20, and in the Advanced tab, select 2-channels, 16-bits, CD quality 44.1KHz. Hope this helps.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                          Tom,

Go to Control Panel, select Sound, then the Recording tab. Double-click on the DATS USB device. You should see 5 tabs, the last one is the Advanced. Set the Level to 20, and in the Advanced tab, select 2-channels, 16-bits, CD quality 44.1KHz. Hope this helps.
                          Thanks Hong, that worked.

I actually couldn't find the control panel, I had to do a search for it. I've only had 10 installed for about a week and I guess I'm still getting used to it.
                          It calibrated fine that time.
                          Thanks again sir!

TomZ
                          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

The instructions posted directly from Dayton for Windows 8 indicated the recording volume for DATS should be at 54. For Windows 7 it was level 1, and for Vista it was level 25. Like others here when I tried to use a level of 1 like I was using in Windows 7 and it gave very poor results. I raised the volume to 54 and it seemed to give good results again. I hadn't tried anything in between though.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/res...tart-guide.pdf

Here are a bunch of calibrations:

Volume 1

Volume 18

Volume 25

Volume 50

Volume 54

Volume 75

Volume 99

Attached Files

Comment

Here is a cumulative with level 45, 50, 54, 60, and 65 in memory 1 to 5, respectively

Level 50 and 54 look the best. It looks like level 50 is slightly better, but it is very close.

Comment

Working...
                              X