• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: CD Player

I need to replace my old cd player.
    I see my options :
    Stand alone cd player
    Blu Ray player
    I have a dvd player but doesnt sound as good as my cd player.

Im searcing for a new CD player suggestion. Any ideas ?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: OT: CD Player

Would look at BDP's from Oppo, Marantz, Yamaha. I had very nice Rotel single disc player, MSRP $550 in the late '90's, that I have replaced with a Yamaha BDP that was about $250. Sounds every bit as good as the Rotel.

Comment

TASCAM CDP 200 from B+H , has a great transport , built solid , remote and pitch control for around $200
      Built for DJ/Pro use but the rack ears come off with 4 phillips screws

Comment

Having you considered going without and ripping all your music and streaming it instead? Just curious. I can understand wanting one, but I ditched mine a long time ago, because streaming is so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
          Having you considered going without and ripping all your music and streaming it instead? Just curious. I can understand wanting one, but I ditched mine a long time ago, because streaming is so much easier.
          A cheap disc spinner like a Sony Blu ray player for $50 and an inexpensive DAC can provide the ability to have good sounding CD's, stream, and play off PC/MAC. Makes for a good transition to ripping/streaming and if you dont go that way, you still have a killer setup for around or under 3 beans.

Comment

I have an Ayre CX7. It's very nice, but pricey! Like S7horton I have also ripped a lot of music into a computer and use an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC. I don't stream, it's wired, but it comes very very close to the Ayre.

Good luck, Mark

Comment

This was all the rage a while back. I bought one. It works just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UR487A/...l_7ntl20szvq_b

The description talks of the tangible experience of playing a physical medium, sorta like vinyl. I thought that was funny.

Comment

+1, I like the sony blu ray with wifi. Plays CDs, and music from a server, youtube, and pandora
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Oppo
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
                    +1

I have an Oppo DVD, Sony BluRay, and a nice Marantz cd player. I ripped my music collection to a music server some time ago and never listen to any of these players anymore. The BluRay is for movies, the Oppo is for the occasional SACD or DVD-A, and SqueezeBox does the rest. Sound difference is nil - to my ears anyway.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Here's a sleeper for you all who still are in the market for a disc spinner...

The HHB CDR-800 - a pro audio cd recorder. It is essentially a rebadged top of the line Pioneer Elite PDR-99, with the legendary Pioneer stable platter mechanism. You can still find some of these second hand at that big online auction site for a truly world class CD transport at a sane price.
                      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Bag the CD player. Get a new Aurilec Aries Mini, drop a SS Hard drive in it or connect a USB hard drive and knock all your cd's into digital files. You will also get a year of Tidal in the $525 price, and be able to stream internet music, your music, hi-rez music, etc. Has built in DAC or you can run into your own DAC.

Comment

Originally posted by dst View Post
                          Bag the CD player. Get a new Aurilec Aries Mini, drop a SS Hard drive in it or connect a USB hard drive and knock all your cd's into digital files. You will also get a year of Tidal in the $525 price, and be able to stream internet music, your music, hi-rez music, etc. Has built in DAC or you can run into your own DAC.
                          Nope no thanks.
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I have all my CDs ripped to ALAC but have more music in MP3 from a CD collection that disappeared in a move. I have streaming ability throug a PeachTree Audio DAC-ITx and a Marantz CD6005 CD player. I tend to use the CD player more.
                            -Kerry

Comment

I just use a blue ray player Myself . I tried the Pioneer models but they only lasted for about a year then the digital audio stops working Two different Pioneer models in row did that so now I have a Sony .So far it's working good but it doesn't have SACD capabilities like the Pioneers did . I have several cd's with Dolby digital and DTS sound That sound great on the blue ray .I like to keep everything as compact as possible so one unit does both cd's and dvd's .

Comment

Working...
                              X