Car audio tweeter recomendations???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car audio tweeter recomendations???

Looking for something to convert some Kenwood KFC-X172 into a set of components. My budget is tight ~$30 for the pair. I would like something that looked clean surface mounted in the door. I will also need to address the volume, coax is rated at 88db.
    Let me know what you would recommend or have experience with. Thanks.

Re: Car audio tweeter recomendations???

I'm not sure what you mean by "convert some Kenwood KFC-X172 into a set of components." Do you mean replace the current coaxial speakers with some separates? If so what will you be using as the woofer? What will you be using as a crossover? Also not sure what you mean by "address the volume, coax is rated at 88db." The rating you mention is a sensitivity rating not a maximum volume rating. I might be misunderstanding you.

Anyway, a common budget buster tweeter used in the car audio environment is the Vifa XT25. Another commonly used one is the Vifa OT19. You will also need to either build a passive crossover or use an active crossover (either standalone or built into some HUs). If you go active you will need additional amplification possibly.

Comment

Basically just add some tweeters to the Kenwood coax. The problem with the volume is that most tweeters have a higher sensitivity so I will need to add a resister or l-pad to make it so the tweeter is not screaming.
      I like the XT25 and OT19 but I would like something that will look nice/clean surface mounted:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Flush-mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1171279

Comment

What will you be using as a crossover? What problem are you hoping to solve by adding a tweeter to the one already present with the coax? Will you be disconnecting the coaxial tweeter? Depending on the crossover you use the sensitivity of the tweeter may not matter, you can always tame it down if necessary. Having two sets of tweeters up front is likely to cause more problems than it will solve if you are planning on keeping the coaxial tweeter hooked up.

Comment

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...rossovers.html

Edit: never mind, I didn't see they were sold.

Comment

I don't mind disconnecting the coax tweeter, Just trying to raise the sound stage a little.
            I'm installing this in a 06 Chevy Colorado. For now it will run of the HU but I do have a 4 channel that will probably find its way into the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
              I don't mind disconnecting the coax tweeter, Just trying to raise the sound stage a little.
              I'm installing this in a 06 Chevy Colorado. For now it will run of the HU but I do have a 4 channel that will probably find its way into the truck.
              Sounds like what you're looking for is a "presence" tweeter. I use these for that purpose: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eeter--275-025. I use an 8kHz x-over with them. I suggest going with a slightly higher x-over (say 10kHz). I've got mine mounted behind the sail panels though where the OEM tweeters used to be.

Whatever you choose to go with, I suggest driving them off a separate small amp so you can adjust their volume independent of your coaxials.
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Brian, great idea on using a separate amplifier, I will probably use the rear channel of the head unit.
                I was also thinking about buying Pyle PLST6 tweeters and taking out the tweeters and replacing them with one of the ND series tweeters or even the Tang Band 13-1761S

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                  Brian, great idea on using a separate amplifier, I will probably use the rear channel of the head unit.
                  I was also thinking about buying Pyle PLST6 tweeters and taking out the tweeters and replacing them with one of the ND series tweeters or even the Tang Band 13-1761S
                  That could work. I would stay away from the ND20 series though. I've used both, and I much prefer the ND16s as presence tweeters. And they're small enough to fit almost anywhere. You can see the rest of my build on my website. Which reminds me that I still have to get on with redesigning the x-overs for the main speakers (sigh).
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                  X