New to Speaker building. Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Speaker building. Need some advice

Thank you John i appreciate the insight...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny P View Post
      WHATS WAF??
      Wife Approval Factor
      Have you made a decision between the two designs yet?

Comment

Lol....ok... Well the wife said do whatever I want so. That pretty much means that. I'm going to make all the swope designs from meniscus by. Paul Carmody. I'm just gonna put a little twist to it design wise. I hope he won't mind. I tried to post pics using my iPhone but won't let me. Also tried with a laptop and the same outcome. How in the world do I post pics??? I do want to build Zaphs designs but I want to make those in birch. I'm making the swope designs in mdf. I think I'm going to spray using a HVLP GUN. I read a build thread by johnsnail in regards to how he made his purple speakers. I've already begun putting the center channel together I'll order the speakers Monday. And go from there. I have about 300 square feet I can use to cut all the mdf. And I'll use my small HT as the finishing room seeing as how I need to finish that room as well. The more I look at other designs the more I want to try and build them all.
        On a side note has anyone ever used automotive paint on speakers before???? Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny P View Post
          Lol....ok... Well the wife said do whatever I want so. That pretty much means that. I'm going to make all the swope designs from meniscus by. Paul Carmody. I'm just gonna put a little twist to it design wise. I hope he won't mind. I tried to post pics using my iPhone but won't let me. Also tried with a laptop and the same outcome. How in the world do I post pics??? I do want to build Zaphs designs but I want to make those in birch. I'm making the swope designs in mdf. I think I'm going to spray using a HVLP GUN. I read a build thread by johnsnail in regards to how he made his purple speakers. I've already begun putting the center channel together I'll order the speakers Monday. And go from there. I have about 300 square feet I can use to cut all the mdf. And I'll use my small HT as the finishing room seeing as how I need to finish that room as well. The more I look at other designs the more I want to try and build them all.
          On a side note has anyone ever used automotive paint on speakers before???? Just curious
          I usually post pics using just my phone. The pics are often too big data wise to upload so I have to resize them. I downloaded a "reduce photo size" app that works pretty well. As long as you get it down to the maximum file size requirement for upload, it should work. You could do like others and use photobucket or something similar as well. Many have used automotive paint on speaker cabinets. You'll find lots of build threads on here with an auto paint finish, many with tips and directions. Devinkato does nice work, here's an example - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ng-A-build-log

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
            Wife Approval Factor
            Have you made a decision between the two designs yet?
            I've seen it as Wife Acceptance Factor, since in general wives will never approve, but may accept ;)
            Francis

Comment

Ok so speakers have been ordered. Box is about halfway done. I'll get pictures ASAP.
              As far as the subwoofer is concerned. I'm going with the Dayton audio UM 15". I would like it to be ported but I can't seem to find schematics for a ported enclosure. Will the bundle they sell give me the same hertz sealed or will a ported give me lower hz?? I currently have ported subs and I like how they sound and I not to sure about a sealed subwoofer.
              http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7097

Comment

Use WinISD ( www.linearteam.org ) to model boxes. It's free. Subs are easy to design.
                Most of the time a vented sub will go almost an octave lower, but the box is often at least twice as big.
                The UM15 in 3cf (sealed and stuffed) should reach into the low 30s, UNboosted. Deeper than what you'd need for almost any kind of music.

If you're after strictly HT LF effects (down to 20Hz), you can either vent that sub in about 7-8cf (which is pretty dang huge IMO), or use an amp w/boost (like, maybe +6dB @ 20Hz).

Comment

Thanks Chris. This is the amp I plan to use.
                  http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-809
                  Would this work??? For the sealed box to get lower hz???
                  And I'll definitely check out the program. I appreciate it..

Comment

Dayton's 500/1000w plate amps (which should include yours) have an adjustable equalizer (EQ) built in. You should be able to boost your bottom end (say, 20Hz) with that. Yup.

Comment

Here's a model of the UM15 in 3 CF sealed, 5 CF ported, 10 CF ported, 1200W for all three. Large ported gets you a lot more output down low, for no cost other than materials and the space it takes up.

If you want to see an established design for a ported sub, I'll point you at the Martysub FAQ on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...tysub-faq.html

If you want a driver that will work better in a smaller ported box you might look at the 390HO instead.

Comment

Thank you RHODESJ for taking some time to plug in the numbers..i appreciate it a lot...yes I saw this last night while doing more research... I think im going with the micro cube...its something like 3.5 cubic feet with ports on the bottom...
                        the next dilema I have is the amp....ive been seeing a lot of people using Behringer INUKE1000...I was more interested in the 3000 because I do plan on getting 2 subwoofers for the room...it was that or get two plate amps but ill save something like $400 If I get the INUKE and replace the fan to a quieter one as Ive read that the stock fan is pretty loud...which IMO wont make a difference cause im going to be blasting the theater system anyways...but I guess just for peace of mind....

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64218[/ATTACH]

test test

Comment

Finally was able to resize the pics.

Comment

Dusted off the dirt from the tools and oiled everything up. READY FOR CUTTING

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1171810

Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1171811Click image for larger version

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1171812

Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1171813

Comment

A very ruff scetch of what i plan to build.

Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1171814

Comment

Working...
                                X