ID:	1171816
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1171817

Comment

Re: New to Speaker building. Need some advice

Got part of the box done. Im moddifing the length of the design by Paul so as to go the width of the Tv as well as asthetics. The speakers should be arriving tomorrow. Because of size contraints as far as how wide the room is im going to also build a custom entertainment center. I might as well im already building everything else from scratch. I got some really neat ideas. The subwoofer boxes will be designed by SQUIERS007 ( very very much appreciated) just have to get the max dimensions dialed in so he knows what to work with.

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1171818

Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1171819

Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1171820

Comment

Woo hoo its christmas in March. Just recieved the SWOPE center Channel speaker by Paul Carmody.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          Re: New to Speaker building. Need some advice

If you're not going to put grills on them, I would go for whichever one you think looks cooler. I have speakers with multiple aluminum cone woofers, I would probably do the Zaph.

MDF is very messy to cut. Really. Particle board is much cleaner to work with and dirt cheap. I use it. These are maple veneer over particle board with a solid maple baffle. You can't tell what's under the veneer.
          I've used a lot of particle board in my builds. The cabinets I made in 1977 for a Speakerlab S2 parts kit out of PB are still with me and solid as a brick. A good method of internal bracing and good old Elmers wood glue. I sanded the surface well and bought some walnut-grain vinyl veneer I got at a local fabric store(!). They were giant killers, a look and layout similar to a Large Advent...10" woofer and a low-crossed (1200Hz) Phillips linen-dome tweeter. Much less dust than MDF. Good plywood is less weight and even less dust.

John A.
          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
          Pioneer TX-9500 II
          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
          Statement Monitors
          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

I am partial to the Swopes myself. I have them in a small room with a receiver that needs a little more power. It took about 20 or so hours to break them in. I will never have another HT speaker again. I will be moving to a larger reciever in the next few months (Yammy Aventage)
            "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

Comment

This is my first build and i doubt it will be my last. Right now im truing to figure how to fit 4 -12" inch woofers in the front. I think i have it figured out but need to retro fit everything else and see where i stand. I have a sony reciever powering everything but YES GORDY A YAMAHA AVENTAGE IS ALREADY IN MY AMAZON CART. ALONG WITH A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER STUFF. LOL I NEED TO PLAY THE LOTTO MORE OFTEN

Comment

Heres another rendition i made. The components will sit ontop of the sub enclosures. In there own box of course.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny P View Post
                  This is my first build and i doubt it will be my last. Right now im truing to figure how to fit 4 -12" inch woofers in the front. I think i have it figured out but need to retro fit everything else and see where i stand. I have a sony reciever powering everything but YES GORDY A YAMAHA AVENTAGE IS ALREADY IN MY AMAZON CART. ALONG WITH A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER STUFF. LOL I NEED TO PLAY THE LOTTO MORE OFTEN
                  The Avenge will be able to handle the ohm loads of the Swopes well. My 6 year old Onkyo has not issues handling them either but it is squeezed for the last bit of power that it has.
                  "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                  The Roxster
                  Swopes 5.0
                  Acoustic Panels
                  Living Room Make Over

Comment

Good to hear Gordy. I plan on useing the INUKE 3000DSP to power the INFINITI 1260's that were highly recommended by another member(SQUIERS007)

Comment

Finally got the jasper jig. Trying to make perfect holes free hand sure does suck!!! Thank you woodworking gods for this magnificent contraption.
                      Attached Files

Comment

These are the results of the test run for the paint.

1) sand mdf 150

2) bin shellac

3) sand 250

4) primer filler

5) sand 250

6) primer filler

7) sand 300

8) 4 coats copper sanding in between 1000 grit

9) 5 coats laquer sanding inbetween. 2000 grit.

I wasnt to thrilled at how spotty the laquer came out. It needs to be thicker. And there are small dips in the mdf. So i need to sand more on the first run and do 2 passes with shellac or 1 more pass with the primer. And i need to give the gun a try. Its smooth to the touch but its not "smooth" per say.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Comment

Finaly got to do a template to see if measurements were correct. Ill fix this on the final baffle being used. Some very close tolerances. All in all happy with how the template came out. The final cut should be even better. Eager to hear this center channel. I hope to be able to have all up and done by this weekend.

Comment

So far so good, welcome to the hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X