Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

NE225W+PM180+ViaWave Design & Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice. Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Yep. Wow is a good description!
        Very clean work too.
        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Wow! If I had cut them all to 1" like you said, I would have made the top panel thicker to compensate and not made all of those adjustments 156 times.

That's dedication to a form factor,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Wow! If I had cut them all to 1" like you said, I would have made the top panel thicker to compensate and not made all of those adjustments 156 times.

That's dedication to a form factor,
            Wolf
            That's a very fair point! Although, after investing 12-14 hours to cut and route each one of the staves, taking 30 minutes to run them all through the planer again didn't seem like an overly arduous task. Although I was a little afraid that after investing that much time in them, the planer was going to ruin them either via tear-out or planer snipe - luckily it was taking off such a small amount that none of them were ruined in the process.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Here are a few updated pictures of this project. I got the tops/bottoms on, all edges routed, and most of the sanding done. I ended up going with a much smaller round-over than I had originally planned. After cutting some test pieces, I decided I liked the aesthetic of the smaller round over better.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Beautiful! And the baffle..........
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
                    Wow.
                    I raise you ... Holy Cow.

Comment

From the top it looks like the coolest pencil sharpener ever

Comment

Really cool aesthetic. I'd argue for more edge treatment (round OR Bevel) on the front- shame to leave that little extra performance on the table with such a substantial build, but in any case, they will obviously have a great look to them, you've done a lot of fine work.

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! This has been a really fun build so far.

With regard to the baffles... those are next on the list. I'm planning to make removable front and back baffles,

Regarding the round-over. I know that a larger round-over would help with edge-defraction, but how much of a difference would be expected between a 1/4" round over and say 1/2" or 3/4" round over?

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

3/4" is pretty substantially more effective. it's the difference between helping in the midrange (2khz) and only in the very high treble (10khz), due to the way wavefronts "wrap" around it at different angles of incidence.

Comment

How did you go about sanding the stack of staves, especially the inward curve? Did you have any issues in lining up the stack of staves. I have a stacked project half way in the works, but the line up is horrible.... I am dreading the many hours of sanding, once I manage to glue them up

Comment

[QUOTE=ani_101;n1284985]How did you go about sanding the stack of staves, especially the inward curve? Did you have any issues in lining up the stack of staves. I have a stacked project half way in the works, but the line up is horrible.... I am dreading the many hours of sanding, once I manage to glue them up[/QUOTE

This a great question, and hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.

The first stacked project that I made was drawer fronts for a night stand (linked below). I followed basically the same process that was used for the speakers: cut blanks > rough cut blanks on band saw > finish cut blanks with a router flush trim bit, but I made two major mistakes during the process:The drawer fronts may look smooth, but I had to do some extreme sanding to hide the misalignments.
                                http://lumberjocks.com/projects/136898

With that said, here are a few things that I did differently when making the staves for the speakers:

Comment

Working...
                                X