No announcement yet.

NE225W+PM180+ViaWave Design & Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick update. The baffles are completed and mounted.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post
      Just a quick update. The baffles are completed and mounted.

Cheers!

Joe
      After an hour of looking at the pic, I decided I'm at a loss for words ...

Comment

Wow! Just gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by kbzx35 View Post
          Wow! Just gorgeous!
          seconded, they really are lovely.

Comment

Thanks guys! You'd never guess that they're made from cheap unfinished pine stair treads. As a nod to this, I think I'll dub them Treadnought.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Just another guy here to complement you on your work. Looks great!
              SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
              Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
              SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
              SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Thanks guys! You'd never guess that they're made from cheap unfinished pine stair treads. As a nod to this, I think I'll dub them Treadnought.

Cheers!

Joe
                How do you plan on finishing the pine? I imagine it's southern yellow pine which I believe is stronger than white pine.

I've had fits staining pine especially white pine (very blotching). Pre-stain helps but is not a cure all. And you have lots of end grain.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                  How do you plan on finishing the pine? I imagine it's southern yellow pine which I believe is stronger than white pine.

I've had fits staining pine especially white pine (very blotching). Pre-stain helps but is not a cure all. And you have lots of end grain.
                  Mike:

I've worked with pine on a few non-speaker projects, and I've run into the same issues you've described above. The best solution that I've found is to do a many coats (3-6) in order to get even saturation of the stain. If you're using a dark stain this may not be desirable, as it could over-darken the piece, but I've had good success with medium stains. The other thing that can help is not to sand too finely - if you sand down beyond about 200 grit the wood will absorb less stain. Regarding the end grain, it's always a challenge. I haven't found a good way to stop the end grain from over-darkening.

For this specific project, I plan to leave the wood natural. I stained a few of the scrap staves with a variety of stains that I had on hand, and ultimately, I liked the natural look far better. I am going to finish them in a matte finish soft-touch polyurethane. I don't want any shine to distract from the shape of the speaker and the grain of the wood. I haven't used this product before, so hopefully it turns out how I intend.

I am hopeful that I'll be able to have the speaker completely done and ready for poly by the end of this coming weekend. The precision ports and binding posts arrive tomorrow, so I can start on the rear baffles. I was originally going to make the port out of stacked wood as well, but I decided that I'm going to go with a precision port, so that I can take it off and easily tweak the box tuning if needed. Similarly, I made the front baffle removable just in case I need to swap out the PM180 or ViaWave for the project, as a few people have indicated it could be challenging to make the transition between the two - hopefully this isn't necessary.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

I plan to leave the wood natural. ... I liked the natural look far better. I am going to finish them in a matte finish soft-touch polyurethane.
                    That should look great!

Comment

If you can use the deep (PM180) at 2400hz to your advantage, notch 4200hz ringing and possibly do a second order on RT850 with additional notch on 2400hz, I think you can make them work well.
                      But this wouldn't be just a modeling game. You'll have to measure the response and adjust the crossover. A bit of finesse will be required.
                      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Good Evening!

Just a quick update on the Treadnoughts. The "build" portion of the project is complete, and they're ready for finishing. I couldn't resist throwing the drivers in for a test fit.

What do you guys use to adhere acoustic foam to the cabinet walls - spray adhesive, double sided tape?

Cheers!

joe

Comment

3M spray adhesive for me, a good coating on the cabinet and foam. It can get messy as the nozzle clogs after a couple applications, so keep a wet cloth to wipe the nozzle with.
                          Paul

The "SB's" build page
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

So the idea is to put a notch on the Viawave below crossover point? I was looking into doing this due to the expense of a 3rd order ..in the end I pushed the X/O up to 3khz (which may turn out to be too much for the midbass I used)

Comment

BTW guys. I am working on Viawave website. If you have pictures and build description or links that you want to share and publish, let me know and I will put them up.
                              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Very Nice! How Much!?

Comment

Working...
                                X