No announcement yet.

NE225W+PM180+ViaWave Design & Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick update. Here are the spike assemblies I'll be using.

- Dayton Super Toes
    - Rockler 3/8-16 screw on T-nuts
    - 2" stainless steel sanitary pipe end-caps with a small hole tapped in the center, then painted flat black.
    Altogether, only about $60.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
      So the idea is to put a notch on the Viawave below crossover point?
      I've been using this sort of crossover with many tweeters lately.

Originally posted by jml View Post
      Good Evening!

What do you guys use to adhere acoustic foam to the cabinet walls - spray adhesive, double sided tape?
      For high performance builds I prefer to use 1"-1.5" of rock wool, mineral fiber or fiberglass like http://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-i...tic-insulation on the walls
      and fill the space with loose fiberglass or polifill http://www.parts-express.com/acousta...b-bag--260-330
      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

RC has it right, Roxul and Acoustastuf
        A mains
        The Ventures
        Open Invit8tions
        RSR
        Sound Troopers
        Acorns
        DGBG's
        The Monuments

Comment

Good Evening!

The build portion of the project is now complete. The only thing that I have left to do is get new binding posts. The Dayton ones that I bought are not long enough to go through the 1.5" thick rear baffle. Are there any reasonably priced posts that will work with that thick of a baffle? I see that Propeller Post makes some that are longer, but they are pretty pricey.

Hopefully I'll be getting some in box measurements within he next week or two.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

I really like esthetics of the cabinet work. Very clean with just enough details. Almost Japanese in the approach. Quality of the photography is also very high.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
              I really like esthetics of the cabinet work. Very clean with just enough details. Almost Japanese in the approach. Quality of the photography is also very high.
              Thanks Roman. My wife gets all the credit for the photography. Not only was she willing to put up with me spending all my free time building these over the past two months, but she was even willing to take some photos.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Wow, those are really pretty, great work.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                  Wow ...
                  Worth saying again ... Wow.

Comment

Here is a picture of the grill frames cut and routed prior to being wrapped in cloth. The grill magnets will attach onto the socket cap bolts on the front baffle.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Well, I got one of the grills all finished up, and I am not happy with the aesthetic.

1) The visibility of the frame and drivers through the grill fabric looks unprofessional/cheap to me
                      2) As these have a pretty large front baffle, it feels like a big "wall of white" in front of you.

I'd love to go without grills, but with little kids, I believe that would be foolish - especially with how delicate the PM180's dust cap is.

With that said, I'd like to get some creative ideas from the group. I'm thinking of keeping the same shape as the grills frame, but making it out of real wood instead of MDF and then making black "inserts" for the mid/tweeter and woofer windows in the frame. This should alleviate some of the issues with the current design.

I was also kicking around just making some sort of very minimalist grills for each individual drive unit (excel the tweeter).

What do you guys think, are there any cool looking (and functional) grills you've seen in other projects?

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post
                        Well, I got one of the grills all finished up, and I am not happy with the aesthetic.

1) The visibility of the frame and drivers through the grill fabric looks unprofessional/cheap to me
                        2) As these have a pretty large front baffle, it feels like a big "wall of white" in front of you.

I'd love to go without grills, but with little kids, I believe that would be foolish - especially with how delicate the PM180's dust cap is.

With that said, I'd like to get some creative ideas from the group. I'm thinking of keeping the same shape as the grills frame, but making it out of real wood instead of MDF and then making black "inserts" for the mid/tweeter and woofer windows in the frame. This should alleviate some of the issues with the current design.

I was also kicking around just making some sort of very minimalist grills for each individual drive unit (excel the tweeter).

What do you guys think, are there any cool looking (and functional) grills you've seen in other projects?

Cheers!

Joe
                        Long ago JM Lab made deciratve wood covers for when the speaker wasnt in use.

Countoured grills can add a lot of asthetic appeal and match the shape/look of the cabinets.

....and I'm empty.

Comment

White color of the grill cloth doesn't appear to relate visually with anything in the room or the speaker itself.
                          I would use black grill cloth and paint the frames in solid color, matching the speaker.

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...-wide--260-339
                          This one looks horrible BTW. Awful color.

This one http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...-wide--261-810
                          may work well but I never seen actual product.

Comment

Paint the grill frames black and place a layer of black grill cloth on them under the white top layer of cloth. This may hide the contrast between the drivers and light colored baffle without having to change the finish of the baffles.

Hopefully two layers of cloth won't obscure sonic detail too much. Experiment by hanging a second layer of cloth on the face of the speaker before doing any permanent mods.

Comment

I dunno, I think it's kinda cool looking in the pic, maybe in person it's not as attractive?
                              A mains
                              The Ventures
                              Open Invit8tions
                              RSR
                              Sound Troopers
                              Acorns
                              DGBG's
                              The Monuments

Comment

The grill cloth is too light. If the sides are completely finished I.e. they are remaining that color, then you need something that contrasts the light color of the sides. Maybe a brownish/tan (thinking old school guitar cab) would work that will play off the same color tones as the grain and knots... then again it may look like poop... however, a darker contrasting color is what I would go with. JMHO.
                                HAGD,
                                Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Working...
                                X