Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Guy
    replied
    I think the white looks better with the light colored sides that look like a water based finish rather than the yellowing oil based type. It gives it a modern look. It just seems that the grill cloth is too thin. Maybe you can try re-wrapping the frames and stretch the fabric less when you do it. I've seen white grill cloth that covers the speakers underneath, so maybe you just stretched it too tight. Maybe something in a gray or silver would work slightly better than the white?

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied
    Beautiful build. Absolutely. I like the white grill.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Yeah the white doesn't do it for me either. I see PE has 19" wide black 3/8" foam, maybe you could use that, remove it for serious listening?

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied
    Cool speakers. I think they have a clean, contemporary, kind of industrial look to them, so I would not use any traditional grill at all. I would do something much more contemporary or industrial looking, like a mounting cleat top and bottom or the baffle and installing 1/4"-3/8" dia. aluminum or stainless steel dowels between on the outsides, top to bottom. The image attached is what I'm getting at with the cleat, looking from the top. The outside dowels could be be wrapped by a sleeve of speaker fabric. You would push the dowels down through the cleat into the fabric sleeve and then into the bottom cleat, slightly stretching the fabric to hold it in place. This would allow the fabric to be changed if ruined by the kids and let the drivers remain visible from the sides, as well as the entire laminated portion of the sides. I wouldn't cover any of that up, just cover most of the baffle.

Alternatively, additional, perhaps narrower diameter dowels, perhaps 1/8" dia. could be installed between the outside ones for an even more industrial look, while allowing complete visibility through to the drivers, rather than hiding them. Place them just close enough to keep fingers from being able to reach the dust caps and to keep flying things from reaching the cones.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied
    I'd leave a reveal around the grill to show the hardwood sides a bit. I'd also add dimension, making the grill frame thicker and chamfering the sides 25 degrees or so. I'm not feeling the white either.......and with kids, dirty hands swiped across the white fabric would bother me as much as a pushed in dust cap so......lol

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied
    The grill cloth is too light. If the sides are completely finished I.e. they are remaining that color, then you need something that contrasts the light color of the sides. Maybe a brownish/tan (thinking old school guitar cab) would work that will play off the same color tones as the grain and knots... then again it may look like poop... however, a darker contrasting color is what I would go with. JMHO.

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied
    I dunno, I think it's kinda cool looking in the pic, maybe in person it's not as attractive?

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied
    Paint the grill frames black and place a layer of black grill cloth on them under the white top layer of cloth. This may hide the contrast between the drivers and light colored baffle without having to change the finish of the baffles.

Hopefully two layers of cloth won't obscure sonic detail too much. Experiment by hanging a second layer of cloth on the face of the speaker before doing any permanent mods.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied
    White color of the grill cloth doesn't appear to relate visually with anything in the room or the speaker itself.
    I would use black grill cloth and paint the frames in solid color, matching the speaker.

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...-wide--260-339
    This one looks horrible BTW. Awful color.

This one http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...-wide--261-810
    may work well but I never seen actual product.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied
    Originally posted by jml View Post
    Well, I got one of the grills all finished up, and I am not happy with the aesthetic.

1) The visibility of the frame and drivers through the grill fabric looks unprofessional/cheap to me
    2) As these have a pretty large front baffle, it feels like a big "wall of white" in front of you.

I'd love to go without grills, but with little kids, I believe that would be foolish - especially with how delicate the PM180's dust cap is.

With that said, I'd like to get some creative ideas from the group. I'm thinking of keeping the same shape as the grills frame, but making it out of real wood instead of MDF and then making black "inserts" for the mid/tweeter and woofer windows in the frame. This should alleviate some of the issues with the current design.

I was also kicking around just making some sort of very minimalist grills for each individual drive unit (excel the tweeter).

What do you guys think, are there any cool looking (and functional) grills you've seen in other projects?

Cheers!

Joe
    Long ago JM Lab made deciratve wood covers for when the speaker wasnt in use.

Countoured grills can add a lot of asthetic appeal and match the shape/look of the cabinets.

....and I'm empty.

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    Well, I got one of the grills all finished up, and I am not happy with the aesthetic.

1) The visibility of the frame and drivers through the grill fabric looks unprofessional/cheap to me
    2) As these have a pretty large front baffle, it feels like a big "wall of white" in front of you.

I'd love to go without grills, but with little kids, I believe that would be foolish - especially with how delicate the PM180's dust cap is.

With that said, I'd like to get some creative ideas from the group. I'm thinking of keeping the same shape as the grills frame, but making it out of real wood instead of MDF and then making black "inserts" for the mid/tweeter and woofer windows in the frame. This should alleviate some of the issues with the current design.

I was also kicking around just making some sort of very minimalist grills for each individual drive unit (excel the tweeter).

What do you guys think, are there any cool looking (and functional) grills you've seen in other projects?

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    Here is a picture of the grill frames cut and routed prior to being wrapped in cloth. The grill magnets will attach onto the socket cap bolts on the front baffle.

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Wow ...
    Worth saying again ... Wow.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied
    Wow, those are really pretty, great work.

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
    I really like esthetics of the cabinet work. Very clean with just enough details. Almost Japanese in the approach. Quality of the photography is also very high.
    Thanks Roman. My wife gets all the credit for the photography. Not only was she willing to put up with me spending all my free time building these over the past two months, but she was even willing to take some photos.

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X