Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jml
    replied
    Thanks guys! You'd never guess that they're made from cheap unfinished pine stair treads. As a nod to this, I think I'll dub them Treadnought.

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied
    Originally posted by kbzx35 View Post
    Wow! Just gorgeous!
    seconded, they really are lovely.

Leave a comment:

• kbzx35
    replied
    Wow! Just gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by jml View Post
    Just a quick update. The baffles are completed and mounted.

Cheers!

Joe
    After an hour of looking at the pic, I decided I'm at a loss for words ...

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    Just a quick update. The baffles are completed and mounted.

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    [QUOTE=ani_101;n1284985]How did you go about sanding the stack of staves, especially the inward curve? Did you have any issues in lining up the stack of staves. I have a stacked project half way in the works, but the line up is horrible.... I am dreading the many hours of sanding, once I manage to glue them up[/QUOTE

This a great question, and hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.

The first stacked project that I made was drawer fronts for a night stand (linked below). I followed basically the same process that was used for the speakers: cut blanks > rough cut blanks on band saw > finish cut blanks with a router flush trim bit, but I made two major mistakes during the process:The drawer fronts may look smooth, but I had to do some extreme sanding to hide the misalignments.
    http://lumberjocks.com/projects/136898

With that said, here are a few things that I did differently when making the staves for the speakers:

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied
    How did you go about sanding the stack of staves, especially the inward curve? Did you have any issues in lining up the stack of staves. I have a stacked project half way in the works, but the line up is horrible.... I am dreading the many hours of sanding, once I manage to glue them up

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied
    3/4" is pretty substantially more effective. it's the difference between helping in the midrange (2khz) and only in the very high treble (10khz), due to the way wavefronts "wrap" around it at different angles of incidence.

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! This has been a really fun build so far.

With regard to the baffles... those are next on the list. I'm planning to make removable front and back baffles,

Regarding the round-over. I know that a larger round-over would help with edge-defraction, but how much of a difference would be expected between a 1/4" round over and say 1/2" or 3/4" round over?

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied
    Really cool aesthetic. I'd argue for more edge treatment (round OR Bevel) on the front- shame to leave that little extra performance on the table with such a substantial build, but in any case, they will obviously have a great look to them, you've done a lot of fine work.

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied
    From the top it looks like the coolest pencil sharpener ever

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    Wow.
    I raise you ... Holy Cow.

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied
    Wow.

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied
    Beautiful! And the baffle..........

Leave a comment:

• jml
    replied
    Here are a few updated pictures of this project. I got the tops/bottoms on, all edges routed, and most of the sanding done. I ended up going with a much smaller round-over than I had originally planned. After cutting some test pieces, I decided I liked the aesthetic of the smaller round over better.

Cheers!

Joe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X