No announcement yet.

NE225W+PM180+ViaWave Design & Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the on-axis in room response along with the current crossover.

Comment

Screen shot with phase included? Does the treble sound hot to you?
      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I'll grab a screenshot with phase next time I take some measurements. The treble doesn't sound too hot (to me). I tried one iteration with the tweeter padded down a little further, and I felt like it sounded too muted or muffled.

Best regards,

Joe

Comment

the viawaves in my build sounded a bit muted too, altho plenty of detail. They can almost disappear too much into the mix. I'm guessing a slightly raised response isn't a bad thing

Comment

Just want to add the usual 2c. While tuning the speaker, ideally, drivers should blend in seamlessly. You shouldn't expect to hear the tweeter and the rest of the system. Sort of like, if you hearing the subwoofer in the room, it's turned up too high.

Comment

Thanks Bill and Roman for your thoughts. I went back this evening and tried a couple tests:
              1) I padded down the tweeter a couple dB, and I again felt it was too veiled. It didn't sound horrible, but it lost the "sparkle" at the top end. I might try padding it down even less at some point in the future, but I didn't have the needed resisters on hand to do less than a couple dB.
              2) I reduced the padding on the PM180 a couple dB. This threw the balance off completely, bass was weak, and midrange was honky.

These experiments confirmed to me that the balance is pretty close to where I want it to be.

I'll hold off on doing a full write-up on my listening impressions until I have the crossover values finalized and have done some extensive listening with both speakers up and running; however, I will say that the NE225s are really impressive - very detailed, tight, and authoritative bass. The impact from a kick-drum or the plucking of an upright bass are very realistic and without sounding strained or boomy.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

I usually just walk away from the project for couple of days. Helps to re-evaluate subjective impressions. then again, it's me. I listen to a few hours and aside from listening fatigue, I get use to the sound of the loudspeaker.
                Joe, then you get a chance, could you take a series of on-axis measurements (tweeter axis) from 20" away to 40" in incrementalists of 5".

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                  I usually just walk away from the project for couple of days. Helps to re-evaluate subjective impressions. then again, it's me. I listen to a few hours and aside from listening fatigue, I get use to the sound of the loudspeaker.
                  Joe, then you get a chance, could you take a series of on-axis measurements (tweeter axis) from 20" away to 40" in incrementalists of 5".
                  I should be able to do that within the next week or so. What are you looking to see?

I also ordered a batch of different resister values, so that I can try some smaller adjustments to the tweeter and midrange levels before finalizing the design.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post

I should be able to do that within the next week or so. What are you looking to see?

Joe
                    Abnormalities in the measurement process.

I would also look at axial data. Take a few sweeps a meter away on tweeter axis 10 to 60 degrees in 10 degrees steps.
                    In the process of tuning the speaker, summed up response at the listener position is basically how we evaluate the sound.
                    Tonal balance is formed from both, first arrival and reflected sound. If the axial response has significant abnormalities, it may tilt the perception of the over all sound to be too bright or too dark (dull). You are border lining directivity of that mid and I'd be tiptoeing the crossover there.
                    It also helps to measure each driver with the x-over attached just to see if modeled/predicted results are spot on to the actual output (on and off axis)
                    Also to look at the distortion of each component with the x-over inline.

Comment

• Greetings!

At this point I am considering the crossover design for the Treadnaughts finalized. Attached is the network schematic along with a copy of the on-axis measurements at about 1 meter. I'm sure that the more skilled among us would do a better job on the crossover design than I have done here; nonetheless, I'm very happy with the result. I won't spend a lot of time on superlatives, but to me they sound excellent - very detailed, balanced, and they image extremely well.

The only item left to do is play around a little with the port tuning. it sounds as though the bass lost a tiny bit of definition after installing the crossovers in the cabs. The factors that changed were:
                      - The box volume reduction caused by the space the crossover components take up.
                      - The holes for the binding posts were open prior to installing the crossovers, and are now closed with the posts installed. Would these additional holes in the cabinet have lowered or raised the tuning frequency?

I plan to try a few different port lengths to zero in on the optimal tuning, and then this project will be all wrapped up. Thanks to everyone for your help along the way!

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

• Okay, spill it- where'd you get the terminals, or what did you do to make them?
                        Those are pretty cool,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          Okay, spill it- where'd you get the terminals, or what did you do to make them?
                          Those are pretty cool,
                          Wolf
                          Necessity is the mother of invention.

Options for purpose-made binding posts that would work with a cabinet wall that is slightly thicker than 1.5" were pretty slim. had I known this, I could have cut larger holes in the inner cabinet, so that the binding posts would only have to go through .75" of cabinet wall, but unfortunately, I didn't do that. I bought some 1/4-20 threaded brass rod, some solid brass jam nuts, and then some 1/4-20 threaded knobs. It is actually a pretty crude solution, but the knobs ended up working well with the aesthetic of the speaker - all black hardware. At some point I will have not put some lock washers into the assembly on both sides, as currently they will "slip" if you crank on the knobs too hard.

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

• Cool! Thanks for the info! Obviously, no 'nanners applied.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Hi Joe. I recently built a pair of 3 way speakers in some really crappy cabinets and i'm rebuilding them and making much better cabinets. I already have all the pieces of my cabinets cut from 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood and i want to add those staves to the side of mine too! They look stellar. I was also wondering what wood you used for the staves?

Beautiful Build
                              Nick

Comment

• I really think those look great! A very novel use of wood products.

Comment

Working...
                                X