Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

NE225W+PM180+ViaWave Design & Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YaBoiMrNick View Post
    Hi Joe. I recently built a pair of 3 way speakers in some really crappy cabinets and i'm rebuilding them and making much better cabinets. I already have all the pieces of my cabinets cut from 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood and i want to add those staves to the side of mine too! They look stellar. I was also wondering what wood you used for the staves?

Beautiful Build
    Nick
    Nick:

I'm glad that you like the look. The wood that I used was actually "builder grade" pine stair treads from Home Depot - the ones with veneered exterior. I simply ripped the bull-nose off the board on my table saw, and then broke down the boards from there. If you look closely you can see the lines of the veneer between each stave, which give the sides more visual dimension.

I did not glue the staves to one another, as I didn't want to deal with all the squeeze-out, so they are only glued to the body of the speaker. As they were clamped together for the glue up, they're extremely tightly packed. Especially after a few coats of poly, there is no chance of vibration between the staves.

Overall the construction seems to have come out extremely ridged and well damped - even at high volumes with strong bass, I am not able to perceive any vibration whatsoever when a hand is placed on the cabinet.

Best regards,

Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by jml View Post

Nick:

I'm glad that you like the look. The wood that I used was actually "builder grade" pine stair treads from Home Depot - the ones with veneered exterior. I simply ripped the bull-nose off the board on my table saw, and then broke down the boards from there. If you look closely you can see the lines of the veneer between each stave, which give the sides more visual dimension.

I did not glue the staves to one another, as I didn't want to deal with all the squeeze-out, so they are only glued to the body of the speaker. As they were clamped together for the glue up, they're extremely tightly packed. Especially after a few coats of poly, there is no chance of vibration between the staves.

Overall the construction seems to have come out extremely ridged and well damped - even at high volumes with strong bass, I am not able to perceive any vibration whatsoever when a hand is placed on the cabinet.

Best regards,

Joe
      I really want to add that look to my speaker, but i don't have the tools to do so! Iv've been relying on my boss and friend to let me use their tools. I'll find a way hopefully
      Quick Question, How wide and thick are the staves?
      Last edited by YaBoiMrNick; 11-12-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YaBoiMrNick View Post

I really want to add that look to my speaker, but i don't have the tools to do so! Iv've been relying on my boss and friend to let me use their tools. I'll find a way hopefully
        Quick Question, How wide and thick are the staves?
        Nick:

Sorry for the delay in responding. The staves are 2"x1"X16.5".

Bast regards,

Joe

Comment

• Hello Joe those speakers are Beautiful! if you don’t mind me asking what are the inner cabinets dimensions?

Comment

• Really nice.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
            X