Another Acousta Stuff question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Acousta Stuff question

I have just finished trying to de-clump the Acousta Stuff that was supplied with a kit I am building. This stuff is a major PITA. I spent--literally--about 20 hours on this task over four days! I will not be willing to use this product again. So. I seem to remember that it was found to be superior to regular polyester pillow filling, but I am not sure about that. My question is how different are they for achieving their purpose? Are their other products recommended for this?

Re: Another Acousta Stuff question

My first thought is you worry about it too much. I just weigh it out using a fish scale so that each cab has the same amount. Tease it out a little, stuff it in the cab and call it a day.

Meniscus has some Bonded Dacron that comes in a sheet that some may recommend. However the loose fill works better when you really need to over stuff a smaller box. Which is what I needed to do on my last build.

Good luck, Mark

Comment

What Mark said about the Acousta Stuf. Assuming you know how much total by weight you need to install, you can then calculate what weight per inch of cabinet height is needed, for instance 0.5 ounces/inch. Then simply weigh out 1 ounces of Acousta Stuf, fluff it up and place it in 2 inches of cabinet height. It really isn't that difficult and the best thing is you don't have to be exact.
      Paul

Originally posted by skatz View Post
      I have just finished trying to de-clump the Acousta Stuff that was supplied with a kit I am building. This stuff is a major PITA. I spent--literally--about 20 hours on this task over four days! I will not be willing to use this product again. So. I seem to remember that it was found to be superior to regular polyester pillow filling, but I am not sure about that. My question is how different are they for achieving their purpose? Are their other products recommended for this?

Comment

Vance Dickason did extensive testing and showed it is measurably superior to polyester pillow stuffing. I agree you are making this a much bigger deal than it is.
        Francis

Comment

I seem to remember that it was found to be superior to regular polyester pillow filling, but I am not sure about that.
          It is, but not by much. The clumping is intentional, so that it will hold together in applications where you want that, as in stuffing a sealed cab or TL. In applications where you don't want a high density filling it's not the best choice.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

For sealed subwoofer cabs, I've used this:

http://www.atsacoustics.com/recycled...le-pieces.html

You can cut it with scissors, although it takes some effort. A big insulation knife works best.
            Francis

Comment

OK I didn't say, but this is for an MLTL (the Solstice) I am in the middle of building. It specifies 1 lb of Acousta Stuff per box, but I don't off the top of my head know what the volume of the box is. Paul--Mark--how would you translate that into bonded dacron fiber? I might just order it, I'm so frustrated with this stuff.
              And to respond to Bill, I don't thnk the clumping was intentional, its like matted fur on a dog; to use it that way would not fill the box as desired.

Comment

Paul will have the exact #'s. Hopefully he'll chime in.

If I remember correctly, I had 5ft of it and it came out to = 12oz.

Go to Meniscus's site. It's spelled out there or wait for Paul

Comment

You already know you're supposed to use 1 pound of the Acousta Stuf. Use the internal measurements of the cabinet (H, W and D) that the Acousta Stuf is supposed to fill and calculate that volume in cubic inches. Then divide that by 1728 to convert it to cubic feet. Finally, divide 1 pound by your cubic feet calculation to determine the required stuffing density in lbs/ft3. If that comes out equal or close to 0.75 lbs/ft3, the bonded Dacron from Meniscus will work. If you don't know or can't determine the exact internal cabinet dimensions, getting close, like +/-10% will be fine.

Another way to approach this in order to use this bonded Dacron is simply by weight. The Dacron weighs 1 ounce for a piece 12" x 12" for its 1-inch thickness, which means it weighs 1 ounce, which is 0.0625 pounds, for a stuffing volume of 144 in3, or 0.083 cubic feet. Dividing 0.0625 by 0.083 gives 0.75 lbs/ft3. So, based on the width and depth dimensions of the cabinet section to be stuffed, you can calculate how many rectangles you need to cut from the Dacron batting with the same dimensions of the cabinet cavity to create the total weight you need. This is a lot harder to describe than to do.
                  Paul

OK I didn't say, but this is for an MLTL (the Solstice) I am in the middle of building. It specifies 1 lb of Acousta Stuff per box, but I don't off the top of my head know what the volume of the box is. Paul--Mark--how would you translate that into bonded dacron fiber? I might just order it, I'm so frustrated with this stuff.
                  And to respond to Bill, I don't thnk the clumping was intentional, its like matted fur on a dog; to use it that way would not fill the box as desired.

Comment

Thanks Paul. The box calculates to about 1.45 cu ft, so density is right about 0.69 lbs/ft3, certainly very close to the density you advocate. Of course now I have already teased out the Acousta stuff so I may just go ahead and use it, but I'm mad at it and may move on as well. I have some other things I want to order from Meniscus, so I might just do this.

Comment

The inspiration for AcoustaStuff was lamb's wool, which has a similar feel. Lamb's wool was Bailey's preferred material for stuffing TLs, probably because in England circa 1965 it was more readily available than polyfill.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks Paul. The box calculates to about 1.45 cu ft, so density is right about 0.69 lbs/ft3, certainly very close to the density you advocate. Of course now I have already teased out the Acousta stuff so I may just go ahead and use it, but I'm mad at it and may move on as well. I have some other things I want to order from Meniscus, so I might just do this.
                        Steve, I didn't use Acoustastuff, I used Dacron. It simply rests on the window brace in the upper half of the cabinet. All of my measurements were taken that way.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thats interesting Jeff, do you recall how many pieces you used? And its only in the upper 1/2 of the box?

Comment

Thats interesting Jeff, do you recall how many pieces you used? And its only in the upper 1/2 of the box?
                            All that should be in the manual. It was in the info I gave Parts Express. I don't have details with me. Use the amount they gave you, but it only goes in the top half of the enclosure; the bottom half is empty. Is this not in the manual?
                            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I'm at work. I think it said to use the top half of the box only, but I'll need to check when I get home. No they must have substituted the Acousta Stuff for the dacron, so it had no information about how much dacron.,

Comment

Working...
                              X