I searched far and wide...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I searched far and wide...

...and found no speaker worthy to replace my da135/neo MT's. Anyone know of a small speaker (under .5ft^3)that can do okay without a sub? And be built for under 100$ a pair?

DBP's have crossed my mind but is thier anything i missed? I don't wanna have to resort to building the same pair of speakers twice, but the sky is darkening...
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

Perfect. Yeah. Right. Ha.

I dunno but it sounds like the two-bit designer who whipped that piece together for ya might have done something right. Don't make me build a pair for myself but I'm curious what you are hearing that tickles your fancy.

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Re: See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

I would recommend them, like i said before, they have a warm bass that extends pretty low (50hz according to winisd in a .3ft^3 box) and a detailed midrange, and airy lifelike highs. On poorly recorded metal they can be a little fatigueing at high volume. (maybe that rise at 11k is to blame?) They are a very well rounded speaker that makes you listen to the music instead of the speaker. That would be what i love most about them.

And trust i wish i hadn't sold them, but i needed the cash flow to get that hafler from Dick W. so i have something to power those Silver AL's with.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Re: See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

Also, i listened to them a little less than 4 feet apart and 5in from the back wall, 4-5ft from the side walls. They were placed on a desk (raiseded 6in on stands) for nearfield listening (3-4ft).

Comment

How low can the lytle five's play? *NM*

Comment

Using the Als in the same manner?

If so, I've been running them about a foot from the rear wall and approx 8 feet apart on my dining table/computer desk and honestly the bass is a little much for my taste. They like to get out into a room (try 3 feet or so away from the back wall) so the bass isn't so blasted thumpy. It's not boomy, just thumps like a rabid rabbit. Once they are given some breathing space things really start to open up once you feed them that certain amount of power and beyond.

Wolf and I listened to the Als at quite high volume levels for an extended amount of time and our ears really never fatigued. And another thing on the Als, tilt them up a few degrees. I didn't fully address the Z-offset and it's evident. A small 1/4" thick piece of something hard under the front of the cabinet seemed to be the happy spot.

I can't fault you one iota for selling off some gear to get one of Dick's Hafler amps. You're well on your way to a full life of lunacy. I'm proud of ya AJ. Hehehe.

shawn

Comment

You will probably want a sub

When I heard them whenever it was they were in the flyer, Darren had them set up with a sub and IMHO they needed the help. It's not that they probably won't tie you over until you get the Als built but if you're like me, you'll want some bump to soothe your soul. All in all though the Lytle's sounded pretty darn nice.

shawn

Comment

Re: Using the Als in the same manner?

No, the AL's are going in the main listening room, whereas i need to fill the empty space in my bedroom/desk room.

Bass is good! I'll have to play with the placement until i get it right, and i was planning on angling them up like you noted in the right up.

Well, i just plugged the audax's into winisd and your right sealed they would need a sub but ported i could get down to about 50 in room i bet... I also bet those little 4 inchers would probably sound a little strained playing that low. Plus, the drivers alone for a pair would cost me 90$. so i'd be breaching my budget. Not cool.

Comment

Where can I find this design?

I'm interested in the neo/da135....sounds like a fun inexpensive project!

Comment

Re: Where can I find this design?

Well the x-over schmatic and Shawn A.'s babbling (sorry Shawn, had to do it) Can be found here.
                    <A HREF="http://www.retrieveraudiolabs.com/Cr...eanderings.htm">http://www.retrieveraudiolabs.com/Cr...eanderings.htm</A>

Comment

YEAHHHH HOOO....

The da175's are back in stock!

Now I get to go broke again! Yippeee!

Comment

Shawn! Buddy O Pal O friend of Mine!

I don't suppose you would mind modeling up that 2.5 way would you? using the da135's and a neo if possible? According to win isd i can sqizzle them in to a .55 enclosure. Which i can sqizzle onto my desk space.

Come on, you know you want to. (Nudge, nudge) I promise i won't bug you like last time!

Comment

Lemme get this straight

A 2.5 using two DA135's and a Neo? Right? MTM or, my preference aesthetically, a TMM? Yeah I guess I can work something up. Gimme some time to gin things up and I'll get back to ya.

shawn

Comment

Dude, thats just sweet...

I suppose my preferance would be a TMM too, considering how they will sit on my desk. That would put the tweeter at almost exact ear level. I'd like to keep them slim so i'll stick with the 7" baffle, like i did with the MT's.

Comment

Re: Where can I find this design?

AJ,
                              Can you provide us with details on the enclosure you used for this design. Just the basics would do, height, baffle width, volume and ports would be very much appreciated.
                              TIA,
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X