Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

I searched far and wide...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shawn_a
    replied
    You will probably want a sub

When I heard them whenever it was they were in the flyer, Darren had them set up with a sub and IMHO they needed the help. It's not that they probably won't tie you over until you get the Als built but if you're like me, you'll want some bump to soothe your soul. All in all though the Lytle's sounded pretty darn nice.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    Using the Als in the same manner?

If so, I've been running them about a foot from the rear wall and approx 8 feet apart on my dining table/computer desk and honestly the bass is a little much for my taste. They like to get out into a room (try 3 feet or so away from the back wall) so the bass isn't so blasted thumpy. It's not boomy, just thumps like a rabid rabbit. Once they are given some breathing space things really start to open up once you feed them that certain amount of power and beyond.

Wolf and I listened to the Als at quite high volume levels for an extended amount of time and our ears really never fatigued. And another thing on the Als, tilt them up a few degrees. I didn't fully address the Z-offset and it's evident. A small 1/4" thick piece of something hard under the front of the cabinet seemed to be the happy spot.

I can't fault you one iota for selling off some gear to get one of Dick's Hafler amps. You're well on your way to a full life of lunacy. I'm proud of ya AJ. Hehehe.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    How low can the lytle five's play? *NM*

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

Also, i listened to them a little less than 4 feet apart and 5in from the back wall, 4-5ft from the side walls. They were placed on a desk (raiseded 6in on stands) for nearfield listening (3-4ft).

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

I would recommend them, like i said before, they have a warm bass that extends pretty low (50hz according to winisd in a .3ft^3 box) and a detailed midrange, and airy lifelike highs. On poorly recorded metal they can be a little fatigueing at high volume. (maybe that rise at 11k is to blame?) They are a very well rounded speaker that makes you listen to the music instead of the speaker. That would be what i love most about them.

And trust i wish i hadn't sold them, but i needed the cash flow to get that hafler from Dick W. so i have something to power those Silver AL's with.

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

Perfect. Yeah. Right. Ha.

I dunno but it sounds like the two-bit designer who whipped that piece together for ya might have done something right. Don't make me build a pair for myself but I'm curious what you are hearing that tickles your fancy.

shawn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X