X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shawn_a
    replied
    Using the Als in the same manner?

If so, I've been running them about a foot from the rear wall and approx 8 feet apart on my dining table/computer desk and honestly the bass is a little much for my taste. They like to get out into a room (try 3 feet or so away from the back wall) so the bass isn't so blasted thumpy. It's not boomy, just thumps like a rabid rabbit. Once they are given some breathing space things really start to open up once you feed them that certain amount of power and beyond.

Wolf and I listened to the Als at quite high volume levels for an extended amount of time and our ears really never fatigued. And another thing on the Als, tilt them up a few degrees. I didn't fully address the Z-offset and it's evident. A small 1/4" thick piece of something hard under the front of the cabinet seemed to be the happy spot.

I can't fault you one iota for selling off some gear to get one of Dick's Hafler amps. You're well on your way to a full life of lunacy. I'm proud of ya AJ. Hehehe.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    How low can the lytle five's play? *NM*

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

Also, i listened to them a little less than 4 feet apart and 5in from the back wall, 4-5ft from the side walls. They were placed on a desk (raiseded 6in on stands) for nearfield listening (3-4ft).

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

I would recommend them, like i said before, they have a warm bass that extends pretty low (50hz according to winisd in a .3ft^3 box) and a detailed midrange, and airy lifelike highs. On poorly recorded metal they can be a little fatigueing at high volume. (maybe that rise at 11k is to blame?) They are a very well rounded speaker that makes you listen to the music instead of the speaker. That would be what i love most about them.

And trust i wish i hadn't sold them, but i needed the cash flow to get that hafler from Dick W. so i have something to power those Silver AL's with.

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    See what happens? Go sellin' perfection...

Perfect. Yeah. Right. Ha.

I dunno but it sounds like the two-bit designer who whipped that piece together for ya might have done something right. Don't make me build a pair for myself but I'm curious what you are hearing that tickles your fancy.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    started a topic I searched far and wide...

I searched far and wide...

...and found no speaker worthy to replace my da135/neo MT's. Anyone know of a small speaker (under .5ft^3)that can do okay without a sub? And be built for under 100$ a pair?

DBP's have crossed my mind but is thier anything i missed? I don't wanna have to resort to building the same pair of speakers twice, but the sky is darkening...
Working...
X