Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

I searched far and wide...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ
    started a topic I searched far and wide...

I searched far and wide...

...and found no speaker worthy to replace my da135/neo MT's. Anyone know of a small speaker (under .5ft^3)that can do okay without a sub? And be built for under 100$ a pair?

DBP's have crossed my mind but is thier anything i missed? I don't wanna have to resort to building the same pair of speakers twice, but the sky is darkening...

• AJ
    replied
    Re: Where can I find this design?

Well, just for referance, i used all dayton poly's and 18ga jantzens in the x-over. The entire box was built out of 3/4 mdf. I didn't add bracing because they were already very solid and heavy boxes for thier size.

If you do build them make sure you post up a review and pics if possible!

Leave a comment:

• Jim P
    replied

Thanks for the info. I think that I may build a set of these based upon your glowing recommendation.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: This is going to take a little time AJ

Maybe an MTM 2way would be a little nicer impedance wise? Or would that get worse?

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: This is going to take a little time AJ

Ummm... Yeah, 1.6 wouldn't be to nice on my sony. Hell the thing dosen't care much for 4 ohm.

Take your time Shawn, it'll be a month or so before i get the funding and the boxes built anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    This is going to take a little time AJ

I started playing around with the 2.5 TMM last night and it's promising to be a bear. I can get the response curve looking alright with a nice bit of sensitivity but I'm running into some low impedance issues. Try 1.6 Ω minima. I don't think so. I'm going to work on a couple other ideas and I will get back with ya. Just wanted to let you know where I was on the progress-o-meter.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied

I used a 7" W/ 10.5" D/ 12" H cabinet. Tunded to 48hz with a 1.5"/5.6875" port.

Leave a comment:

• Jim P
    replied

AJ,
    Can you provide us with details on the enclosure you used for this design. Just the basics would do, height, baffle width, volume and ports would be very much appreciated.
    TIA,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Dude, thats just sweet...

I suppose my preferance would be a TMM too, considering how they will sit on my desk. That would put the tweeter at almost exact ear level. I'd like to keep them slim so i'll stick with the 7" baffle, like i did with the MT's.

Leave a comment:

• shawn_a
    replied
    Lemme get this straight

A 2.5 using two DA135's and a Neo? Right? MTM or, my preference aesthetically, a TMM? Yeah I guess I can work something up. Gimme some time to gin things up and I'll get back to ya.

shawn

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Shawn! Buddy O Pal O friend of Mine!

I don't suppose you would mind modeling up that 2.5 way would you? using the da135's and a neo if possible? According to win isd i can sqizzle them in to a .55 enclosure. Which i can sqizzle onto my desk space.

Come on, you know you want to. (Nudge, nudge) I promise i won't bug you like last time!

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    YEAHHHH HOOO....

The da175's are back in stock!

Now I get to go broke again! Yippeee!

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied

Well the x-over schmatic and Shawn A.'s babbling (sorry Shawn, had to do it) Can be found here.
    <A HREF="http://www.retrieveraudiolabs.com/Cr...eanderings.htm">http://www.retrieveraudiolabs.com/Cr...eanderings.htm</A>

Leave a comment:

• outfitter19
    replied
    Where can I find this design?

I'm interested in the neo/da135....sounds like a fun inexpensive project!

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    Re: Using the Als in the same manner?

No, the AL's are going in the main listening room, whereas i need to fill the empty space in my bedroom/desk room.

Bass is good! I'll have to play with the placement until i get it right, and i was planning on angling them up like you noted in the right up.

Well, i just plugged the audax's into winisd and your right sealed they would need a sub but ported i could get down to about 50 in room i bet... I also bet those little 4 inchers would probably sound a little strained playing that low. Plus, the drivers alone for a pair would cost me 90$. so i'd be breaching my budget. Not cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X