Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Passive Radiator Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive Radiator Size

I'm in the process of making bass bins to go beneath a pair of Natalie P.'s that I made.

My question is that I am going to use the Dayton RF10inch for the driver, so should I use the 12" Dayton DVC PR or maybe a 15" Stryke PR? The 15 models a bit better, but didnt know if it's overkill, and it will make the box a bit deeper than the natalies so it might look a little wierd.

ANy suggestions welcome,

Derek

Re: Passive Radiator Size

Provided Link: soundhobby

Derek,

The 12" PRs will be fine. I used them with my RSHF 10" subs.

Hong
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

> I'm in the process of making bass bins to go
      > beneath a pair of Natalie P.'s that I made.

> My question is that I am going to use the
      > Dayton RF10inch for the driver, so should I
      > use the 12" Dayton DVC PR or maybe a
      > 15" Stryke PR? The 15 models a bit
      > better, but didnt know if it's overkill, and
      > it will make the box a bit deeper than the
      > natalies so it might look a little wierd.

> ANy suggestions welcome,

> Derek

The Stryke (Acoustic Elegance) Passives are fantastic. Very low resonance, plenty of Xmax and they look good too. I've used them for PR duties paired with an Adire DPL-12.

There's really no such thing as overkill. Passives can go non-linear as they approach their stroke limits, so by having a larger area, they don't need to move as much to do the job. If it models up nicely, go for it.

As far as "weird" goes, will you really notice it looking face on?
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'm guessing you would need two per sub though.
        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

> The Stryke (Acoustic Elegance) Passives are
          > fantastic. Very low resonance, plenty of
          > Xmax and they look good too. I've used them
          > for PR duties paired with an Adire DPL-12.

> There's really no such thing as overkill.
          > Passives can go non-linear as they approach
          > their stroke limits, so by having a larger
          > area, they don't need to move as much to do
          > the job. If it models up nicely, go for it.

> As far as "weird" goes, will you
          > really notice it looking face on?

Pete:

What size cabinet do you have for your Adire DPL 12 and strike Acoustic Elegance PR. I have a pair of Velodyne VAX-1215 that are getting old and I believe the 12 Driver and the Passive have been well used and I was thinking of replacing them.The Velodyne cabinets external dimensions are 18W X 18D X 16.5H. There is also a blocked out area for the plate amp. The cabinets are like new, (a long story), so any info you might provide from your subwoofer would be interesting to look at. I priced the factory replacements from Velodyne and was kind of shocked at the low priced drivers they originally used, $60.00. BTW, the driver fires forward while PR fires downward.

I was just curious if maybe upgrading to a better driver and PR may bring back the sound they made when I first purchased them. They no longer have the clear punch they once had and if you put much power to them they start sounding pretty bad. If you can supply info on where these drivers and PR are available as well as if you think they would work in these Velodyne Cabinets. I would apreciate it very much.

Jack Taylor

Comment

> Pete:

> What size cabinet do you have for your Adire
            > DPL 12 and strike Acoustic Elegance PR. I
            > have a pair of Velodyne VAX-1215 that are
            > getting old and I believe the 12 Driver and
            > the Passive have been well used and I was
            > thinking of replacing them.The Velodyne
            > cabinets external dimensions are 18W X 18D X
            > 16.5H. There is also a blocked out area for
            > the plate amp. The cabinets are like new, (a
            > long story), so any info you might provide
            > from your subwoofer would be interesting to
            > look at. I priced the factory replacements
            > from Velodyne and was kind of shocked at the
            > low priced drivers they originally used,
            > $60.00. BTW, the driver fires forward while
            > PR fires downward.

> I was just curious if maybe upgrading to a
            > better driver and PR may bring back the
            > sound they made when I first purchased them.
            > They no longer have the clear punch they
            > once had and if you put much power to them
            > they start sounding pretty bad. If you can
            > supply info on where these drivers and PR
            > are available as well as if you think they
            > would work in these Velodyne Cabinets. I
            > would apreciate it very much.

> Jack Taylor

My cabinets are certainly larger than yours, at just under 5 cubic feet.

The problem you have with that type of cabinet is that PRs really don't like being mounted horizontally. They have very loose suspension and will sag dramatically, reducing their usable Xmax quite a bit. If there's any way you can re-orient the cabinet so that both the woofer and PR are vertical, you'll benefit sonically, as well as in the longevity of the devices.

The DPL12 would work in your smaller box, though not optimally, but they are no longer available. A GREAT substitute would be the RSS315HF from Dayton (PE) and I don't know where you can get a passive as nice as what you can get from Stryke (AESpeakers).

Here's where you can order the PRs

<A HREF="http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...ive_radiators/">http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...ive_radiators/</A>

The RSS315HF is available at Parts Express. It is more than the equal of the DPL in almost every category. You won't go wrong using it for sure.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete since you are familiar with the Stryke 15" PR's, could you give me the O.D. of the speaker? I need to work up the box dimensions (It's going to be 9 inches wide, everything else is up in there air - side firing woofers of course -

Thanks,
              Derek

Comment

> Pete since you are familiar with the Stryke
                > 15" PR's, could you give me the O.D. of
                > the speaker? I need to work up the box
                > dimensions (It's going to be 9 inches wide,
                > everything else is up in there air - side
                > firing woofers of course -

> Thanks,
                > Derek

The Stryke PRs are 15.25" diameter I believe.

Comment

Working...
                X