$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Small tear in foam surround

I just noticed that my favorite subwoofer has two scratch/tears in the surround courtesy of my cat "Benson". One has completely torn through the surround and is really pretty small. I haven't noticed any noises coming from the tear, but still I'd like to get it patched up.

I know there are numerous cat lovers here, and I don't mean to offend, but this cat is getting his claws removed ASAP! Although he is just being a cat, and can't help doing what his instincts tell him, As far as I'm concerned, he just crossed a line!
    Anyhoo, does anyone have an idea on how to fix this very small tear?

Thanks,
    TomZ

Here is the masked fiend in a recent photo. Innocent looking, isn't he?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaskedBenson.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	153  

Default Re: Small tear in foam surround

Quote Originally Posted by tomzarbo View Post
    I just noticed that my favorite subwoofer has two scratch/tears in the surround courtesy of my cat "Benson".
    If your favorite subwoofer is anywhere near 10 years old you may have the beginnings of surround rot rather than scratches from your cat.
    I know I thought a workman ruined my speakers after moving them to get at something and within a year the surround had almost completely fallen off both speakers.

A subwoofer isn't a typical thing a cat would scratch anyway, IME. They like grillcloth, corners of couches, etc....

If it is a new scratch you can just patch it from the rear with a small bit of flexible glue and a (small) piece of thin cloth or paper.

Declawing is tough on (especially older) cats and some become biters...

Rubber cement, if it's not too bad a patch might not be required. If it needs a patch a bit of cheesecloth should do it.

I've used clear GE silicone for this purpose. Take a little dab on a fingertip and rub it into the scratch and on the surounding foam on each side of the surround, and let set. I'd be wary of rubber cement--the solvent (toluene?) might eat at the foam.

Don't declaw the cat unless he's a 100% indoor cat. Claws are their only line of defense if they come up against a dog or a mean cat. Make him a nice carpeted scratching post and rub it with catnip--he'll soon fixate on that and scratch it exclusively.

Thanks for the ideas.

This was definately a cat claw that did this work. The rest of the surround is in perfect cond. The woofer is a Cadence 12" 4 ohm Solobaric in a fairly large box ported alignment. It has always been my favorite for music - it just sounds perfect to me.

I used to have rubber cement around the house, but that stuff dried into a blob years ago. I'll have to see if I can find some at the hardware store or something. I think I have some sililcone in a tube somewere downstairs too. Ill have to think about this a bit, but thanks for the good ideas.

As far as the cat is concerned... we've been putting off getting the claws yanked for awhile, he does have scratching posts, and it's not that he scratches things so much as he just plays real hard, and when he does, his claws come out... and into things, such as our flesh, and now, speaker surrounds.

As I said to my wife, I don't mind the occasional scratch on my hand or arm, I can heal, but destroying valuable speaker components is a step beyond what I'm willing to put up with. The claws must go.

TomZ

Default Re: On declawing cats...

We've had cats, always kept in the house, as long as I can remember and in the past we always had their front paws declawed. We were down to just one cat after our other cat died in March last year. We got a 6-month old new cat last December and tried to not have him declawed. He never scratched the furniture or speakers, always using his two scratching posts, but he likes to "tussle" and when he got excited he not only scratched us, he tended to also bite. So, he had too many weapons and we had him declawed.

Thanks for the ideas.

This was definately a cat claw that did this work. The rest of the surround is in perfect cond. The woofer is a Cadence 12" 4 ohm Solobaric in a fairly large box ported alignment. It has always been my favorite for music - it just sounds perfect to me.

I used to have rubber cement around the house, but that stuff dried into a blob years ago. I'll have to see if I can find some at the hardware store or something. I think I have some sililcone in a tube somewere downstairs too. Ill have to think about this a bit, but thanks for the good ideas.

As far as the cat is concerned... we've been putting off getting the claws yanked for awhile, he does have scratching posts, and it's not that he scratches things so much as he just plays real hard, and when he does, his claws come out... and into things, such as our flesh, and now, speaker surrounds.

As I said to my wife, I don't mind the occasional scratch on my hand or arm, I can heal, but destroying valuable speaker components is a step beyond what I'm willing to put up with. The claws must go.

TomZ

Blog Entries

Thanks for the ideas.

TomZ
    My vote is for a water-based glue since you don't know exactly what the surround foam is made of. Ever seen the way modeling glue eats some types of plastics? Obviously an acetate-based glue (like crazy) isn't called for here, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Something like Eileens Tacky Glue. Probably blew the spelling, but it's the stuff in the Bronze bottles available at any craft store. I also like the idea of using a small scrap of cloth on the backside of the surround to help act as a patch.

Northeastern PA- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area + Poconos

Default We have lots of cats! I have a repair idea.

Hi, Tom!

I feel your pain. We have lots of cats, and an 80 lb Doberman, too. From my recollection, you pointed out exactly what happenened to me in a previous thread once.

You may recal, some time ago, I indicated how I found my subwoofer plate amp gain control turned all the way up, which caused my subwoofer to exceed x-max, tearing it's surround.

Later, upon further examination, we determined a cat was the culprit. My inquisitive, black cat, and audiophile feline loves to play with the control knobs with his paws, and succeeded to do this again, except this time I caught him in the act! (Before actually using it again, and blowing out the driver again.)

Tom, I actually repaired this using a method prescribed by Terry O, which he obtained from a friend, Ed Heath of the Old Bass List. It entailed the use of Golden Harvest wallpaper border adhesive, and ordinary medical gauze. The latex buildup adheres to the surround and gives it it's seal and strength, while the gauze retains it's flexibility. It worked great for me, with no noticeable difference in sound. Made it just like new. (Many thanks to Terry O.) Hope this helps. Best of Luck.

Warm Regards,
    Eric

I just noticed that my favorite subwoofer has two scratch/tears in the surround courtesy of my cat "Benson". One has completely torn through the surround and is really pretty small. I haven't noticed any noises coming from the tear, but still I'd like to get it patched up.

I know there are numerous cat lovers here, and I don't mean to offend, but this cat is getting his claws removed ASAP! Although he is just being a cat, and can't help doing what his instincts tell him, As far as I'm concerned, he just crossed a line!

Thanks,
    TomZ

Here is the masked fiend in a recent photo. Innocent looking, isn't he?

I always covered the front of my speakers in quarter or half inch mesh screen to protect them from cats and the inquiring fingers of kids . Most of my speakers are black so a flat black paint on the screen makes it almost invisible. Then I put a grill cloth over that. It may not be the most esthetically appealing look but I have never had a speaker damaged by a foreign object poking it.

Default Re: We have lots of cats! I have a repair idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nepaeric View Post
    Hi, Tom!

I feel your pain. We have lots of cats, and an 80 lb Doberman, too. From my recollection, you pointed out exactly what happenened to me in a previous thread once.

You may recal, some time ago, I indicated how I found my subwoofer plate amp gain control turned all the way up, which caused my subwoofer to exceed x-max, tearing it's surround.

Later, upon further examination, we determined a cat was the culprit. My inquisitive, black cat, and audiophile feline loves to play with the control knobs with his paws, and succeeded to do this again, except this time I caught him in the act! (Before actually using it again, and blowing out the driver again.)

Tom, I actually repaired this using a method prescribed by Terry O, which he obtained from a friend, Ed Heath of the Old Bass List. It entailed the use of Golden Harvest wallpaper border adhesive, and ordinary medical gauze. The latex buildup adheres to the surround and gives it it's seal and strength, while the gauze retains it's flexibility. It worked great for me, with no noticeable difference in sound. Made it just like new. (Many thanks to Terry O.) Hope this helps. Best of Luck.

Warm Regards,
    Eric
    Eric, Yeah, I remember that post. I thought I was shooting into the dark, but you mentioned that you caught your feline red-pawwed!
    I have only had our cat since October, but I can't believe the things he can do, and what he can get into!
    Wallpaper adhesive, I wouldn't have thought of that. I may have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    TomZ

Default Re: We have lots of cats! I have a repair idea.

Hi, Tom!

Warm Regards,
    Eric
    Eric,
    You give me more credit than I deserve, after all it was Ed Heath that came up with it. However, the Wallpaper Border Adhesive (Ed recommended Golden Harvest) also will fix small tears in cones as well, if you use tissue paper. It can be laminated if additional thickness is needed. I've managed to save a few drivers that were no longer available, which extended the life of an otherwise decent speaker. It doesn't hurt to practise on a trashed or junk
    driver just to get the feel for the materials and technique.

Best Regards,
    TerryO

Northeastern PA- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area + Poconos

You deserve the credit Terry! (along with Ed Heath) You have been extremely helpful to me more than once, and just thought I'd pass it along, and hopefully help someone else.

Best Regards,
    Eric

You deserve the credit Terry! (along with Ed Heath) You have been extremely helpful to me more than once, and just thought I'd pass it along, and hopefully help someone else.

Best Regards,
    Eric

Thread Information