$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Posts
    8,922

    Smile These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    I have a pair of Silver Flute W17RC38 6.5" woofers that I got in Richmond, and I have been tinkering around with them.

    These things are really something for the cost. I don't know how they measure in terms of distortion and such, but the build quality is ridiculous. Nice cast frame, large magnet/motor assembly, beautiful cone, excellent quality of assembly - surround looks great, glue lines are clean, etc. These things have no right to be sold for $25. I have a pair of Focal 6K412L's - cast frame, polykevlar cones, and the Silver Flutes are significantly more robust looking and are made every bit as good. Shoot, they're also as well built as my PHL's. The specs test out pretty close to advertised right out of the box and they claim an Xmax of 5mm, where the Focal lists 4.5mm.

    Here's a pic:



    So, after this hearty endorsement, what tweeter do you think would be a good match for this thing? I'm looking for options in the "inexpensive, but very good for the money" category - just like the woofer. Might make a nice kit, or project to post, who knows?

    I have a pair of Usher 9930's which I can use, but those cost almost twice as much as the woofers do. Still, it might be a nice match, especially for a low crossover point. How do we all feel about Morel MDT20, or Dayton Silkie, ? Your thoughts?

    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff B.; 06-12-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added pic

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Grenada, West Indies
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    I'm using a Seas Seas 27TFFNC/G tweeter with each of my Silver Flute 6.5" drivers, along with a Madisound-designed x-over. Sound pretty good to me - it's a car audio install though, and I'm using the 4-ohm versions of the drivers. If you do choose to use that tweeter, I'd really be interested in your results, including the x-over.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    832

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    How about one of the SB acoustics tweeters or a Vifa D26? The Vifa is hard to beat at any price.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    How about the Vifa DQ25SC05-04? http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8352

    I *subjectively* think it sounds better than the Tang Band 25-1166s (old version). I may be wrong. I don't know if it can cross low enough either.

    You brought up the silkie, may I suggest the HiVi K1 as well? I prefer it over the silkie, and it cost less.

    Perhaps Vifa DX25?

    Jed brought up 2 good candidates as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S. Georgia, US
    Posts
    572

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    I like the Dayton silkie after some simple mods. I used a 1" length of 2" pvc pipe to extend the back cup and restuffed the pole piece with cotton(didn't have any wool). These are a good match to my S.F. 5.5's and will now cross below 2k easily.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,096

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Well, I've used the Vifa DX25TG05-04 and found it to be very good for the money.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-578

    By the way Jeff, that may qualify under my 2-way on the cheap post.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=205586

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19,295
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B. View Post
    I have a pair of Silver Flute W17RC38 6.5" woofers that I got in Richmond, and I have been tinkering around with them.

    These things are really something for the cost. I don't know how they measure in terms of distortion and such, but the build quality is ridiculous. Nice cast frame, large magnet/motor assembly, beautiful cone, excellent quality of assembly - surround looks great, glue lines are clean, etc. These things have no right to be sold for $25. I have a pair of Focal 6K412L's - cast frame, polykevlar cones, and the Silver Flutes are significantly more robust looking and are made every bit as good. Shoot, they're also as well built as my PHL's. The specs test out pretty close to advertised right out of the box and they claim an Xmax of 5mm, where the Focal lists 4.5mm.

    Here's a pic:



    So, after this hearty endorsement, what tweeter do you think would be a good match for this thing? I'm looking for options in the "inexpensive, but very good for the money" category - just like the woofer. Might make a nice kit, or project to post, who knows?

    I have a pair of Usher 9930's which I can use, but those cost almost twice as much as the woofers do. Still, it might be a nice match, especially for a low crossover point. How do we all feel about Morel MDT20, or Dayton Silkie, ? Your thoughts?

    Jeff
    I'm using the SF YAG-20/Dayton PT2-a with my (shielded 4 ohm) 7" W17RC-38S-4, but the cabs are in progress. That was a higher-parts count blending than maybe some others would lend.

    I like the DX25 option, as that might work quite well.

    Of the options at PE (browsing the cat):
    Dynavox 275-200
    HiVi TN25
    MDT20 might be good!
    BG Neo3PDRW

    At Mad:
    Fountek NeoCD1.0(?) (I know it's a ribbon, and that is why the price is STILL double.)
    HiVi RT1.3 (xover to 2.5kHz)
    SEAS 22TAF/G(?)
    Of Course Morel MDT20/Vifa D26NC55 and such...

    I have a set of RT1.3/TN25/Neo3PDR that I am planning to use relatively soon if you want to check them out some time.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

    *InDIYana 2014 event*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,567

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    I just had a very positive experience with the Silver Flute W14RC25. I agree with you that the build quality on them is excellent, and the cones just look outstanding.

    I had such a good time with the driver that I was all set to order a pair of the W17. But first I plugged in some T/S specs into Unibox. Seems I can get a lower F3 with the W14--in a smaller box, no less. This seems odd to me. Are the mfr measurements incorrect? (interestingly, the T/S specs for the W14 were fairly close to my measurements) I thought I tried a pretty wide varieties of box alignments, but that W17 I just can't get an F3 below like 53 Hz.

    Extension aside, I'm very curious what the W17 is capable of. Be sure to keep us posted with any findings you make.
    Come Get Down And Eat Best Food, Sharp. Cee? Sharp.

    Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Injiana
    Posts
    5,380
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    I vote for the Morel MDT-20. Of course that's only because I'm back to playing with that tweeter yet again. I can't help myself, I just like how it does the jorb.

    shawn
    "I've got your's, you've got mine. It's our rhythm and blues alibi." - Gomez

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19,295
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by undefinition View Post
    I just had a very positive experience with the Silver Flute W14RC25. I agree with you that the build quality on them is excellent, and the cones just look outstanding.

    I had such a good time with the driver that I was all set to order a pair of the W17. But first I plugged in some T/S specs into Unibox. Seems I can get a lower F3 with the W14--in a smaller box, no less. This seems odd to me. Are the mfr measurements incorrect? (interestingly, the T/S specs for the W14 were fairly close to my measurements) I thought I tried a pretty wide varieties of box alignments, but that W17 I just can't get an F3 below like 53 Hz.

    Extension aside, I'm very curious what the W17 is capable of. Be sure to keep us posted with any findings you make.
    I'm using the W17RC38S-4, and I get F3 of 40 Hz vented with 18 ltrs. If you want the specs, I can send them your way...
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

    *InDIYana 2014 event*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Posts
    8,922

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I'm using the SF YAG-20/Dayton PT2-a with my (shielded 4 ohm) 7" W17RC-38S-4, but the cabs are in progress. That was a higher-parts count blending than maybe some others would lend.

    I like the DX25 option, as that might work quite well.

    Of the options at PE (browsing the cat):
    Dynavox 275-200
    HiVi TN25
    MDT20 might be good!
    BG Neo3PDRW

    At Mad:
    Fountek NeoCD1.0(?) (I know it's a ribbon, and that is why the price is STILL double.)
    HiVi RT1.3 (xover to 2.5kHz)
    SEAS 22TAF/G(?)
    Of Course Morel MDT20/Vifa D26NC55 and such...

    I have a set of RT1.3/TN25/Neo3PDR that I am planning to use relatively soon if you want to check them out some time.
    Later,
    Wolf
    I just designed a crossover for the Dayton PT2 yesterday for someone else. Now there's a coincidence. I probably wouldn't use it here though. I think I'll stick with a dome. Well, lot's of recommendations from folks. I'll have to take a closer look at a few.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Posts
    8,922

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed K. View Post
    How about one of the SB acoustics tweeters or a Vifa D26? The Vifa is hard to beat at any price.

    Hmmmmm...Two very interesting choices. The SB sounds interesting because I haven't seen anyone use it yet. It also looks like it incorporates some nice features for the money, which certainly qualifies it to mate up in this combo as an inexpensive two-way that pushes the technology. It's looks pretty good in the picture too.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lil' Rhody
    Posts
    3,819

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B. View Post
    I have a pair of Silver Flute W17RC38 6.5" woofers that I got in Richmond, and I have been tinkering around with them.

    These things are really something for the cost. I don't know how they measure in terms of distortion and such, but the build quality is ridiculous. Nice cast frame, large magnet/motor assembly, beautiful cone, excellent quality of assembly - surround looks great, glue lines are clean, etc. These things have no right to be sold for $25. I have a pair of Focal 6K412L's - cast frame, polykevlar cones, and the Silver Flutes are significantly more robust looking and are made every bit as good. Shoot, they're also as well built as my PHL's. The specs test out pretty close to advertised right out of the box and they claim an Xmax of 5mm, where the Focal lists 4.5mm.

    Here's a pic:



    So, after this hearty endorsement, what tweeter do you think would be a good match for this thing? I'm looking for options in the "inexpensive, but very good for the money" category - just like the woofer. Might make a nice kit, or project to post, who knows?

    I have a pair of Usher 9930's which I can use, but those cost almost twice as much as the woofers do. Still, it might be a nice match, especially for a low crossover point. How do we all feel about Morel MDT20, or Dayton Silkie, ? Your thoughts?

    Jeff

    Dayton Silkie FTMFW! I have toyed with silver flutes and their tonality mateches flawlessly with the Dayton. 2 bang for the bus drivers working together is a wonderful thing. Don't waste the $$$ for the ounce more inner detail of the MDT30. IMHO, as always.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairview, TN
    Posts
    2,977

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Funny you bring this up.... I met a guy who works for them in Asia last year. He got me a pair of 8", 6.5" and 5.25" paper cone versions of these drivers and I agree they are built second to none. He also gave me a ribbon tweeter they build... yuck is all I can say.

    I did measurements on them and they are as expected for paper cones very smooth with the 8" having a slight break up just above 2K the smaller 5.25" driver rolled off nicely.

    I built a 3 way with the 8" and 5.25" using a small faceplate 1" OEM fabric tweeter crossed at 3500Hz and they sound great. In hindsight I wished I had used a better tweeter. The 6.5" drivers ended up being a center channel they are all in service in my brother in laws HT. He loves them and I do have to admit they sounded great and easily worth more than what Madisound charges.

    I also did a set of bookshelf speakers for a guy using the 6.5" wool cone drivers and a BG neo3 crossed at 2500Hz they were also quite impressive really doing nothing bad.

    I second the endorsement that these are great drivers, they make a poly cone version of these drivers also. I wish someone would carry the paper and poly versions. Personally I would be tempted to put them in a category very close to the Seas Excel line from a build qiality standpoint. But that might get some feathers ruffled. They are worth every penny of their modest price.

    Dave

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Howell NJ
    Posts
    7,119

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    try them with a morel mdt39. i have a pair crossed to some focal 5k woofers very nice.

  16. #16

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    How about a Morel MDT-22 in a squat box? (Short center channel)
    We liked the Vifa PL27 in some RS150 MTM's
    Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northeastern PA- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area + Poconos
    Posts
    503

    Default Very nice quality product.

    The wool cone Silver Flutes are an excellent quality product, and priced right.

    My brother buys a multitude of these every year from Madisound, for retail car audio installs on a budget, and guys come running to him on referrals.

    I have heard these used in door and rear deck installs performed by my brother, and was very impressed with thier sound quality. He quite frequently teams the 6.5" non shielded 4 ohm driver with a Tang Band tweeter, and installs an Eminence sub in the trunk, or whatever sub the customer might order. The result, in most cars, is usually a top-flight sounding system.

    I believe you'd be very hard pressed to find such a high quality at the low prices the Flutes sell for. Best value in his book.

    Best of luck in your venture with these outstanding drivers, which I am quite sure you will be pleased.

    Best Regards,
    Eric

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Salmon Arm, BC
    Posts
    380

    Default Go

    jeff, picked a winner in the tweeter category yet?
    anxiously awaiting.
    blue934
    ________
    Nino vaccarella
    Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011 at 06:11 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Posts
    8,922

    Default Re: These crazy Silver Flute woofers

    Quote Originally Posted by blue934 View Post
    jeff, picked a winner in the tweeter category yet?
    anxiously awaiting.
    blue934
    I am leaning toward the Usher 9930 just because I have a pair on the shelf already. However, I haven't decided for sure, it might be something different, and either way, it is probably not going to happen very soon. Too many things going on these days, it seems.
    Jeff

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Salmon Arm, BC
    Posts
    380

    Default Go

    thats good, i have a pair of those also but i was hoping to see more of a lower price point for a value design. maybe the flutes deserve better tho.

    blue934
    ________
    Problems from depakote
    Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Your #1 Source for Audio, Video & Speaker Building Components


Clearance Center
Deal of the Day
New Products




View Our latest
Sales Flyer

Prices Effective
Through 8/31/14


Order our FREE 336 Page Full Color Catalog


Speaker Component Categories

Home Audio Speakers

Professional Audio & Guitar Speakers

Car Audio Speakers

Speaker Buyouts

Measurement & Design Tools

Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers

Full-Range Plate Amplifiers

Crossover Components

Cabinet Hardware & Speaker
Grill Cloth

Speaker Cabinets

Subwoofer System Kits

Speaker Kits

Speaker Repair Parts

Speaker Wire