$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default AudioSource or Stellar Labs?

Manufacturers often don't make their own products. Now that I have a little time, I'll outline a particular amplifier that came up in another thread to which a few people thought it would be comical to cast personal barbs rather than keeping things civil.

Now, let's take a look at the AudioSource AMP310. The AMP310 is a cosmetically upgraded version of the AMP300. Internally, it is very similar in construction. I would say it is the same, but a board revision or two would make a liar out of me. Plus, the AMP300 was a Phoenix Gold Product, whereas the AMP310 is Rodin Audio product.

Interestingly, the AudioSource AMP300/310 is the same amplifier as the MCM-sold Stellar Labs Contractor Series SLA-470. MCM sells three versions of this amplifier - the largest of which shares the same chassis as the AMP300/310, but sells for nearly $200 less. The AudioSource AMP200 is the same as the MCM Stellar Labs SLA-250.

Go ahead and scoff, but I spend a lot of time researching OEM products of companies (mostly mobile audio amplifiers) that claim to have developed their own technology. The fact is, increasingly these companies are no longer developing their own products - and don't have a hand in the design at all. They simply send the manufacturer a vector file of their silkscreen and packaging artwork and let the quality control run at the whims of these Chinese manufacturers.

As I like to say "Have fun with that..."

Thanks to PartsExpress for the AudioSource AMP310 photos.
    Last edited by envisionelec; 07-07-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Default Re: AudioSource or Stellar Labs?

FWIW I don't think this is a great amp either, but let's be fair to PE on pricing at least. PE sells the 310 for $459, and the 300 for $299, while MCM sells the Stellar Labs 470(310 clone)for $359.00, or $100 less than PE's 310 price. MCM's price on the actual 310 is $699, or $240 more than PE.

Nice work on the garage BTW. You do know of course that you'll never get a car in there after you load it up with tools and other goodies.
    Building it big and playing it loud! Because we all know size really does matter, and a little over compensation never hurt anyone.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

I think Kevin Bacon uses an amplifier which uses the same power cord as the MCM amp which is related to the Audiosource amp which got bad reviews on Amazon.com and is a cosmetic clone of the AMP310's outside and therefore the AMP310 is clearly a ****box.

cheers,

AJ

Do these AudioSource amps have good construction quality? Parts? Actual performance? Value?

I have been going with pro amps for the last couple of years.

Do you think the AudioSource amp would be comparable in actual performance to say, a Yamaha P3500S, which I get locally for $450 each(just a few dollars more then the regular price for the AudioSource AMP300 on PE)? Are you familiar with the Yamaha Pxx00S series? I would be interested in your views if you are.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
    Nice work on the garage BTW. You do know of course that you'll never get a car in there after you load it up with tools and other goodies.
    I do have a basement...but I've been banned from that now that this thing is up. All of my junk is in a storage unit for the time being. This supposedly holds two cars, but I'm pretty sure it could hold four if I didn't build the man-cave in the back. I hope it doesn't fill up too fast...

Quote Originally Posted by WmAx View Post
    Do these AudioSource amps have good construction quality? Parts? Actual performance? Value?

I have been going with pro amps for the last couple of years.

Do you think the AudioSource amp would be comparable in actual performance to say, a Yamaha P3500S, which I get locally for $450 each(just a few dollars more then the regular price for the AudioSource AMP300 on PE)? Are you familiar with the Yamaha Pxx00S series? I would be interested in your views if you are.

-Chris
    I don't know the yamaha but all of the audiosource/stellar amps I used are okay not terrible amps. I rather get a working notice i said working nad thx 2400 or 2600 amp on ebay used. up side is the nad's are way better down side is they don't always come as advertised.

some links if you want to roll the dice

nad 2600

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-NAD-2600-Mo...2em118Q2el1247

nad 2400

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

these amps sound cleaner and have less noise and better dynamics then the audiosource amps. they are much more powerful then the ratings they use.

Hi Guys,
    Just a bit of information on the AudioSource AMP300 and newer AMP310.
    We re-designed the AMP310 after we found our original AMP300 design was being shipped with basically a new faceplate to several companies.
    While the layout of the PCBs is mechanically similar to the original AMP300 (and the later made Stellar Labs unit), the circuit topology is much different. The AMP310 uses a dual differential front end and a triple darlington output stage. The AMP300 and Stellar Labs unit does not have this. We also added a tri-mode LED to show signal present, clip, and thermal shutdown/protection mode. This newer circuitry is a combination of Phoenix Gold high current designs and Carver Professional technologies developed over the past 10 years.

Best Regards,
    Stewart Millager
    Director of Engineering
    AudioSource, Carver, Phoenix Gold

Cool Re: AudioSource or Stellar Labs?

Bought a few SLA-470 amps last fall, they sound pretty good in mono mode, but like a** in stereo mode

sold them all for a much better unit

would never buy another Audiosource or Rodin amp tho...

Looks like our resident "expert" has lost some of his expertness.

Quote Originally Posted by msk View Post
    Bought a few SLA-470 amps last fall, they sound pretty good in mono mode, but like a** in stereo mode

sold them all for a much better unit

would never buy another Audiosource or Rodin amp tho...
    Strange.

I'm using an SLA-470 in stereo mode, I think it sounds great.

What about this amp did you find to be so objectionable?
    Form does not follow function
    Form is simultaneous to function

seems the bass response was off at higher volumes in stereo mode, but right on in mono, I had a total of five of those amps and the "thrill turned to shrill" pretty quickly for me, subjective to be sure tho...

seems the bass response was off at higher volumes in stereo mode, but right on in mono, I had a total of five of those amps and the "thrill turned to shrill" pretty quickly for me, subjective to be sure tho...
    I never listen to it very loud, so perhaps this is why I've never noticed any issues.

I bought mine on sale for $185, so for that price I feel it was a great value.

I agree with you, the value is certainly there, I got mine for 167.00 ea., and sold them for 175.00 ea. So a lesson for sure for me, I did notice a hum from the power supplies from those amps, they were all humming away at their own frequency, kind of like a weird chorus between tracks...I feel the QA wasn't very good, even on the cheap..
    Mark

I agree with you, the value is certainly there, I got mine for 167.00 ea., and sold them for 175.00 ea. So a lesson for sure for me, I did notice a hum from the power supplies from those amps, they were all humming away at their own frequency, kind of like a weird chorus between tracks...I feel the QA wasn't very good, even on the cheap..
    Mark
    Hmmm, maybe I got a good one. No hum or other issues. Maybe I got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by theinventor View Post
    Looks like our resident "expert" has lost some of his expertness.
    I'm glad you ever thought I was a resident expert. It shows what a fool you really are.

Insert "rebuttal smug face."

Thread Information