$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default passive crossover wiring

I just bought a a pair of the cheapest three-way passover crossover circuits PE sells. Everything looks in order but (as I'm new at this), I'm not sure how to wire them up.

I've located the two slots for each speaker wire going into each unit. So far, so good.

On the other end (splitting audio out to my woofer, tweeter and midrange), there are six slots. There's no paperwork with this so I'm trying to make sure I don't cross my wires.

Because the six lines are almost two-by-two, my first assumption was that I was looking at the positive and negative for each device, but on the plate, there's a caption that identifies them as follows (from left to right):

M+ C C C [Common] W+ T+

I'm going to assume that all the pluses are positive lines for each device and all the Cs are the other wire (common). This means, of course, that I'd better make sure I don't get any of the lines crossed or I'm going to get fireworks.

Have I got this right?

Default Re: passive crossover wiring

I'm not sure which crossover you are using, but in general, crossovers use a common negative (-) attachment point for all drivers, and each positive (+) lead has it's own specialized terminal for each driver -- woofer, mid and tweeter. Just hook the negative wire for each speaker to a negative (-) terminal on the crossover, and each positive wire for each speaker to it's W+, M+, and T+ lead on the crossover.
    Also, if you accidentally wire one of the speakers backwards, you won't get fireworks, just possibly a hollow or empty sound. Some crossovers actually reverse the mid or tweeter polarity on purpose to get a more balanced sound due to phase issues.
    TomZ

You've got the right idea now. You wouldn't get fireworks but you might easily end up with a driver out of phase (it's pushing while the others are pulling and visa versa).

Make sure you've identified what is actually + on each of the drivers. If you're uncertain, there's a simple test you can do with a 9v battery. Also make sure you do it the same on the Right as you did on the Left. Go easy on the power while you're testing.

I won't jump you about using the generic crossovers except to say that while your drivers are probably protected from damage, you're probably squandering the best of their abilities.

Good luck on your project and welcome to the community.

bb

Thanks, all! I got everything wired and running. I was very pleased to get helpful advice so quickly. I can't thank you enough.

By the way, I bought this generic crossover as a temporary fix. I shot the wad on the 15" woofers and a Yamaha receiver, leaving me just moderate amounts for a dome tweeter and a midrange dome. I lucked out and got a deal on a pair of the Neo8 ribbon tweeters, which haven't arrived yet, but after installing the crossover, my first impression is that my tweeter and midrange are trying to outscream the woofers. I have a new vocabulary word: L-Pads.

Does anybody have any suggestions about crossover? I was thinking of upgrading to the Dayton 3-ways. I'm not financially ready to go for active xo yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bilavideo View Post
    Thanks, all! I got everything wired and running. I was very pleased to get helpful advice so quickly. I can't thank you enough.

By the way, I bought this generic crossover as a temporary fix. I shot the wad on the 15" woofers and a Yamaha receiver, leaving me just moderate amounts for a dome tweeter and a midrange dome. I lucked out and got a deal on a pair of the Neo8 ribbon tweeters, which haven't arrived yet, but after installing the crossover, my first impression is that my tweeter and midrange are trying to outscream the woofers. I have a new vocabulary word: L-Pads.

Does anybody have any suggestions about crossover? I was thinking of upgrading to the Dayton 3-ways. I'm not financially ready to go for active xo yet.

One of the many issues with the pre-made XO's is they don't account for the differences in the sensitivity of each driver. The tweeters and mids are almost always "louder" than the woofer, more sensitive, so padding/L-pad is needed. You'll see them in a custom XO. While not ideal, you can use a rotary/adjustable L-pad to reduce the level of the tweeters/mids.
    Which Dayton 3-ways?

John A.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

"Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles" - John Surtees

Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro cassette
    Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner
    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
    Statement Monitors

Photos:
    http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx

Blogs:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

make a plan to follow for upgrades and fixes l-pads are okay. then save for active which means more amps. lots of good low cost ones out there. gainclone amps based on the 3886 chips are great for mids and tweeters

Blog Entries

While L-Pads are likely needed, I bet it's your lack of baffle step compensation that's really causing them to sound "off". Stock 3-way XOs don't count on that.

Here's a page that shows you how to calculate the proper values for a BSC circuit. The circuit can be placed in front of the 3-way crossover (ie, between the speaker terminals and the XO board).

Thread Information