$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Dynaudio Tweeters

Hi
    I have recently built a pair of speakers using Dynaudio Drivers. I was able to obtain one d28AF tweeter and one D28/2 Tweeter. These two drivers look very similar. Now hears my question. Will there be any problems using these non matched drivers? Imaging or frequency response issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Gary

Default Re: Dynaudio Tweeters

Quote Originally Posted by gary_roach@sbcglobal.net View Post
    Hi
    I have recently built a pair of speakers using Dynaudio Drivers. I was able to obtain one d28AF tweeter and one D28/2 Tweeter. These two drivers look very similar. Now hears my question. Will there be any problems using these non matched drivers? Imaging or frequency response issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Gary
    If they are both AF series tweeters, and built before Dynaudio switched to the D28/2 series then they should be very similar in all characteristics and there shouldn't be much of any issue using them as a pair.
    Jeff B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B. View Post
    If they are both AF series tweeters, and built before Dynaudio switched to the D28/2 series then they should be very similar in all characteristics and there shouldn't be much of any issue using them as a pair.
    Jeff B.
    One driver is a D28AF and the other is a D28/2.

Go to http://www.thielesmall.com/database.asp (Loudspeaker Data)
    select "Dynaudio" and "Tweeter" then ">>>GO<<<" and you'll see the differences.

Yes there will be audible differences.
    Your solution is to get two of the same. But I'm sure you already knew that.
    Last edited by ; 09-10-2008 at 02:31 AM.

Ah, I misread your original post amd my eyes saw AF for both tweeters. Yes, as AE said, there may be audible differences.

Ah, I misread your original post amd my eyes saw AF for both tweeters. Yes, as AE said, there may be audible differences.
    Aren't the "AF" models the ones with the semi-horn kind of flange, recessed dome in the face plate?
    Some sort of wave guide?
    I remember the Dynaudio spec sheets, they stated there was no horn loading of the tweeters with recessed domes, but the flared shape allowed for dome set back, time alignment.
    Last edited by ; 09-10-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Aren't the "AF" models the ones with the semi-horn kind of flange, recessed dome in the face plate?
    Some sort of wave guide?
    I remember the Dynaudio spec sheets, they stated there was no horn loading of the tweeters with recessed domes, but the flared shape allowed for dome set back, time alignment.
    No, the original D28 had a slight horn loading. Joe D'Appolito used it in his original 1984 MTM, and one of the reasons was the better time alignment. The AF version had a flat flange with no recess at all. It is very similar in appearance to the D28/2. The D28/2 had some changes in the motor though. From what I understand "AF" was abbreviated from the Danish for "flat flange" as opposed to the D28 with the small horn loading.

Jeff

No, the original D28 had a slight horn loading. Joe D'Appolito used it in his original 1984 MTM, and one of the reasons was the better time alignment. The AF version had a flat flange with no recess at all. It is very similar in appearance to the D28/2. The D28/2 had some changes in the motor though. From what I understand "AF" was abbreviated from the Danish for "flat flange" as opposed to the D28 with the small horn loading.

Jeff
    I used plenty of the D28 (not recessed) when I worked for Henry Wolcott, Wolcott Audio. He later switched to the Morel MDT33

I had a pair of D21 with the recessed dome/horn flared flange.
    In an MTM with some Focal 5.25 5N411L midbass. Sweet.
    I used to have a lot of the Dynaudio spec sheets too. Not anymore except for I still have the one on Variovents.
    Last edited by ; 09-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I used plenty of the D28 (not recessed) when I worked for Henry Wolcott, Wolcott Audio. He later switched to the Morel MDT33

I had a pair of D21 with the recessed dome/horn flared flange.
    In an MTM with some Focal 5.25 5N411L midbass. Sweet.
    I used to have a lot of the Dynaudio spec sheets too. Not anymore except for I still have the one on Variovents.
    Does anybody know about D-28/2 TH 120? Is it original Dynaudio tweeter or not? why has it never been found in any search engine, forum or listing?

Thanks for helping me,

Liem KF

Jeff:

Do you think the differences could be adequately compensated for in the crossover? Or are the models SO different that he should seek out a second unit of each?

I've never heard the AF, but I have some speakers with the D28-2, and they're the nicest sounding domes I've ever spent quality time with. Incredibly detailed, but smooth and natural.

Quote Originally Posted by liemkf View Post
    Does anybody know about D-28/2 TH 120? Is it original Dynaudio tweeter or not? why has it never been found in any search engine, forum or listing?

Thanks for helping me,

Liem KF
    I know quite a bit about it. I have a matched pair New-In-Box of that very model that I have never used. You won't find it listed anywhere because it was a variant of the D28/2 with a different faceplate custom made for an OEM application. It was not sold by Dynaudio to DIY'ers. I bought mine from Madisound after they bought up the OEM stock. It is indeed an original Dynaudio tweeter, but it has, in my opinion, a better faceplate than the standard version.

Jeff B.

Smile Re: Dynaudio Tweeters

Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate your response. I have three units, so if you have one unit for sale I would love to buy it. Please let me know.

Thank a lot.

Liem KF

Quote Originally Posted by liemkf View Post
    Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate your response. I have three units, so if you have one unit for sale I would love to buy it. Please let me know.

Thank a lot.

Liem KF
    Sorry, I have a matched pair that I plan to keep for a while.
    Jeff

Ok, Jeff, thanks.

Liem KF

I am looking for, one only, a Dynaudio D28/2 tweeter for purchase, even if the voice coil is bad, as long as the flange is in good cosmetic condition! I can be reached at MQ1688@HOTMAIL.COM. Many thanks in advance!!!

Also, if you need a matched pair; there is a pair of "D28 AF" listed on eBay by someone at the moment. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-Dynaudio...%3A1|294%3A200

Thumbs up Re: Dynaudio Tweeters

Visually the D-28/2 has 3 screws holding the face plate in place and a non transparent dome ,the D-28 AF will have another number = D2606 2A under the Dynaudio brand name and the face plate is smooth .

I prefer the D-28AF tweeter but I am a nut case who thinks the D-28 AF looks better made and has an airier sound .

Wow Wolcot -- fine-fine speakers

Thread Information