X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary_roach@sbcglobal.net
    • May 2008

Dynaudio Tweeters

Hi
    I have recently built a pair of speakers using Dynaudio Drivers. I was able to obtain one d28AF tweeter and one D28/2 Tweeter. These two drivers look very similar. Now hears my question. Will there be any problems using these non matched drivers? Imaging or frequency response issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Gary
  • Jeff B.
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

Re: Dynaudio Tweeters

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Hi
    I have recently built a pair of speakers using Dynaudio Drivers. I was able to obtain one d28AF tweeter and one D28/2 Tweeter. These two drivers look very similar. Now hears my question. Will there be any problems using these non matched drivers? Imaging or frequency response issues. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Gary
    If they are both AF series tweeters, and built before Dynaudio switched to the D28/2 series then they should be very similar in all characteristics and there shouldn't be much of any issue using them as a pair.
    Jeff B.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• gary_roach@sbcglobal.net
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Jeff B.
      If they are both AF series tweeters, and built before Dynaudio switched to the D28/2 series then they should be very similar in all characteristics and there shouldn't be much of any issue using them as a pair.
      Jeff B.
      One driver is a D28AF and the other is a D28/2.

Comment

• Æ
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Dec 2005

Go to http://www.thielesmall.com/database.asp (Loudspeaker Data)
        select "Dynaudio" and "Tweeter" then ">>>GO<<<" and you'll see the differences.

Yes there will be audible differences.
        Your solution is to get two of the same. But I'm sure you already knew that.
        Last edited by Æ; 09-10-2008, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Jeff B.
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Sep 2005

Ah, I misread your original post amd my eyes saw AF for both tweeters. Yes, as AE said, there may be audible differences.

Comment

• Æ
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Dec 2005

Ah, I misread your original post amd my eyes saw AF for both tweeters. Yes, as AE said, there may be audible differences.
            Aren't the "AF" models the ones with the semi-horn kind of flange, recessed dome in the face plate?
            Some sort of wave guide?
            I remember the Dynaudio spec sheets, they stated there was no horn loading of the tweeters with recessed domes, but the flared shape allowed for dome set back, time alignment.
            Last edited by Æ; 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Jeff B.
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Æ
              Aren't the "AF" models the ones with the semi-horn kind of flange, recessed dome in the face plate?
              Some sort of wave guide?
              I remember the Dynaudio spec sheets, they stated there was no horn loading of the tweeters with recessed domes, but the flared shape allowed for dome set back, time alignment.
              No, the original D28 had a slight horn loading. Joe D'Appolito used it in his original 1984 MTM, and one of the reasons was the better time alignment. The AF version had a flat flange with no recess at all. It is very similar in appearance to the D28/2. The D28/2 had some changes in the motor though. From what I understand "AF" was abbreviated from the Danish for "flat flange" as opposed to the D28 with the small horn loading.

Jeff

Comment

• Æ
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Dec 2005

No, the original D28 had a slight horn loading. Joe D'Appolito used it in his original 1984 MTM, and one of the reasons was the better time alignment. The AF version had a flat flange with no recess at all. It is very similar in appearance to the D28/2. The D28/2 had some changes in the motor though. From what I understand "AF" was abbreviated from the Danish for "flat flange" as opposed to the D28 with the small horn loading.

Jeff
                I used plenty of the D28 (not recessed) when I worked for Henry Wolcott, Wolcott Audio. He later switched to the Morel MDT33

I had a pair of D21 with the recessed dome/horn flared flange.
                In an MTM with some Focal 5.25 5N411L midbass. Sweet.
                I used to have a lot of the Dynaudio spec sheets too. Not anymore except for I still have the one on Variovents.
                Last edited by Æ; 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• liemkf
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Æ
                  I used plenty of the D28 (not recessed) when I worked for Henry Wolcott, Wolcott Audio. He later switched to the Morel MDT33

I had a pair of D21 with the recessed dome/horn flared flange.
                  In an MTM with some Focal 5.25 5N411L midbass. Sweet.
                  I used to have a lot of the Dynaudio spec sheets too. Not anymore except for I still have the one on Variovents.
                  Does anybody know about D-28/2 TH 120? Is it original Dynaudio tweeter or not? why has it never been found in any search engine, forum or listing?

Thanks for helping me,

Liem KF

Comment

• brianp
                    • Apr 2006

Jeff:

Do you think the differences could be adequately compensated for in the crossover? Or are the models SO different that he should seek out a second unit of each?

I've never heard the AF, but I have some speakers with the D28-2, and they're the nicest sounding domes I've ever spent quality time with. Incredibly detailed, but smooth and natural.

Comment

• Jeff B.
                      Obsessed & Proud of It
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by liemkf
                      Does anybody know about D-28/2 TH 120? Is it original Dynaudio tweeter or not? why has it never been found in any search engine, forum or listing?

Thanks for helping me,

Liem KF
                      I know quite a bit about it. I have a matched pair New-In-Box of that very model that I have never used. You won't find it listed anywhere because it was a variant of the D28/2 with a different faceplate custom made for an OEM application. It was not sold by Dynaudio to DIY'ers. I bought mine from Madisound after they bought up the OEM stock. It is indeed an original Dynaudio tweeter, but it has, in my opinion, a better faceplate than the standard version.

Jeff B.

Comment

• liemkf
                        • Oct 2008

Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate your response. I have three units, so if you have one unit for sale I would love to buy it. Please let me know.

Thank a lot.

Liem KF

Comment

• Jeff B.
                          Obsessed & Proud of It
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by liemkf
                          Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate your response. I have three units, so if you have one unit for sale I would love to buy it. Please let me know.

Thank a lot.

Liem KF
                          Sorry, I have a matched pair that I plan to keep for a while.
                          Jeff

Comment

• liemkf
                            • Oct 2008

Ok, Jeff, thanks.

Liem KF

Comment

• MMQQ
                              • Jul 2009

I am looking for, one only, a Dynaudio D28/2 tweeter for purchase, even if the voice coil is bad, as long as the flange is in good cosmetic condition! I can be reached at [email protected]. Many thanks in advance!!!

Also, if you need a matched pair; there is a pair of "D28 AF" listed on eBay by someone at the moment. Here is the link:

Comment

Working...