$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vifa Dome Midrange Opinions

I'm trying to decide on dome midranges and was wondering if any of you have had experience with Vifa D75MX-41-08 3" Textile Dome. I am also considering the Morel MDT-55, and know from previous comments that it is an excellent driver - I remember Wolf and others thinking it was one the best sounding midranges they have used. Unfortunately and based on my initial modelling, it simply does not have enough sensitivity for what I need. The Vifa 3" should.

Is the Vifa 3" really as good as the PE reviews? As much as I like the reviews portion of the Parts-Express website, I take them with a grain of salt.

How does the Vifa compare to the Morel MDT-55?

These are going in 3 way wall mounted LCR HT speakers in a custom setup behind and to the sides of the screen.

Initial plans are 2 Dayton RS225's, 1 Vifa 3" Dome, and Vifa Vifa XT25BG60-04 Double Magnet Ring Dome Tweeter in a WTMW array and vented enclosure. Since these are going on the wall behind the screen, I do have some leeway with box size, shape, etc.

- Scott

Default Re: Vifa Dome Midrange Opinions

For my design, I was initially planning on using the Vifa driver, because of its sensitivity and really good reviews, however I was persuaded to move away from that driver just because its an old design, and its a little bit expensive for what it does. I have heard very good reviews about the Morel 55 as well as the Dayton dome mid range drivers though, and it seems as if most people suggest these drivers over the Vifa. Quotes that were replied to me:

"For the mid, I think the dayton rs52 would be superior to the Vifa D75 (which is very old)."

"Don't go with the Vifa dome. From personal experience, the Morel MDM-55 is much better. From what I've heard, the Dayton dome is also better."

Hope this helps!

Default Re: Vifa Dome Midrange - Other Options

Hi-Vi also has a pair of Dome midranges that I should consider as well. Does anybody know much or have experience with them?

- Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scott_m View Post
    Hi-Vi also has a pair of Dome midranges that I should consider as well. Does anybody know much or have experience with them?

- Scott
    John Kreskovsky designed a kit with the non-neo dome mid for E-Speakers. This is a much larger faceplate HiVi 2" dome-driver available from Mad/E-. Other than that, I don't know of much research on those.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

- Scott
    I did a 3 way [ the Bellaria ] with the HiVi DMNA. I found it quite capable, and easy to work with.
    Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Thanks Lou,

I haven't seen a HiVi used yet. i checked out you website and found it quite helpful. Thank you all for the advice.

~ Scott

I used the Vifa 3" dome in a speaker system I built in 1986. That's 22 years ago, and IIRC I wanted a 3" dome, because of the greater piston area. It was an excellent speaker system; I only wish i kept the design details.
    Bear in mind that was indeed 22 years ago, so it's no stretch to say it's an old design. Of course, I am an old design as well, and do not wish to be put out to pasture !
    If I were to use a 3" dome again (which is highly unlikey) I would use the ATC.

The really odd thing about that Vifa was, it's backplate was green cloth, sorta like pool table felt, glued over & covering multiple escape holes drilled in the back. I used a back chamber.

Scott L

I assume you are speaking of the ATC SM75-150 3" dome midrange. Where do you find these?

Also, why wouldn't you use a 3" Dome midrange again? Personal preference, the fact that there are only couple on the market, or is there a technical reason that I do not know about.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

~ Scott M

Hi Scott M,

The availability of the ATC dome has seriously diminished over the years, plus they are quite expensive. I don't know how much the Vifa 3" costs these days, but, I'd bet you could get one of the offerings at PE for a 2" dome at comparable dollars. I also remembered since posting this morning, I had also used a 2" aluminum dome in one of my speakers systems. I can't remember the brand, since I have built soooo many speakers over the years, but, I do remember it had a rubber surround, odd eh ?
    I have nothing against a dome mid, it certainly fits certain applications, but, for me personally, I don't cross-over at where a typical dome would (say
    700/800 Hz). These days, I build much, much larger systems, and use a single 7" cone to cover from 250- 5,000 Hz.
    A fabric dome would also be easier on a crossover, I think I had to notch out a peak in that aluminum job...... again, it was years ago.
    I think some of the other contributors to this thread mentioned the PE 2"
    --- most likely a good value/ performance ratio for your application.

Blog Entries

Arrow Available Mid-Domes Past/Present/Future(?)....

Scott L

I assume you are speaking of the ATC SM75-150 3" dome midrange. Where do you find these?

Also, why wouldn't you use a 3" Dome midrange again? Personal preference, the fact that there are only couple on the market, or is there a technical reason that I do not know about.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

~ Scott M
    6" Dome-woofer:
    I don't know who made it, but a fellow poster ("Herb") found a set. These were probably meant for waveguides in a prosound setup, and weigh-in at 13 pounds.

3" mid-domes:
    Dyn D76 and AF.
    ATC SM-75 (available now from Solen.ca, and $$$$$)
    TB 75-1558SE
    Morel MSD-76 (USA/Renaissance-made, and I think the model number is right.)
    Accuton C90-6-79
    Vifa D75MX-41-08
    Volt VM752 (Solen-$$$$old, and looks a LOT like the ATC!http://www.solen.ca/photos/volt/vm752.jpg)

2":
    Usher 9845
    Phillips AD0210/variants
    Morel MDM55, EM1308
    Dayton RS52AN-8, DC50F-8
    HiVi DMN-A, DMB-A
    LPG 51AT, 50FA
    TB 50-1426SA
    Accuton C50-8-44
    Visaton DSM-50FFL
    Peerless (India) ??

1.5":
    SS D3806/8200
    Audax TW034X0

I'm sure there are more available in the lists from past/present, but I cannot recall/find anymore. If anyone knows of more, please add to the list!
    Later,
    Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf; 09-13-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Found LPG textile model number, added the 6" dome-woofer.
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:

Thumbs up Re: Available Mid-Domes Past/Present/Future(?)....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    6" Dome-woofer:
    I don't know who made it, but a fellow poster ("Herb") found a set. These were probably meant for waveguides in a prosound setup, and weigh-in at 13 pounds.

3" mid-domes:
    Dyn D76 and AF.
    ATC SM-75 (available now from Solen.ca, and $$$$$)
    TB 75-1558SE
    Morel MSD-76 (USA/Renaissance-made, and I think the model number is right.)
    Accuton C90-6-79
    Vifa D75MX-41-08
    Volt VM752 (Solen-$$$$old, and looks a LOT like the ATC!http://www.solen.ca/photos/volt/vm752.jpg)

2":
    Usher 9845
    Phillips AD0210/variants
    Morel MDM55, EM1308
    Dayton RS52AN-8, DC50F-8
    HiVi DMN-A, DMB-A
    LPG 51AT, 50FA
    TB 50-1426SA
    Accuton C50-8-44
    Visaton DSM-50FFL
    Peerless (India) ??

1.5":
    SS D3806/8200
    Audax TW034X0

I'm sure there are more available in the lists from past/present, but I cannot recall/find anymore. If anyone knows of more, please add to the list!
    Later,
    Wolf
    Wow Wolf, thanks a lot man. Its been a while since I've been active on the boards - I think I last posted before the switchover to this new discussion interface. I remember reading a thread that you had hit a some number in posts. How many do you have now?

In any case, your last post is way more information than I would have ever anticipated and I am going to enjoy looking these up. I'm really curious about the Tang Bands. Of course, I really don't care if the mid is a 2" or 3", I just want something that will bridge that performance gap between the RS 270's and the tweeter, avoid that aluminum cone breakup and help with the overall power handling. I've sizzled some tweeters before crossing them to low.

I'll keep you all posted as things move along. If I get this CAD software to print some pdf images, I'll post some initial designs...

Thanks again for the advice - esp Wolf and Lou

~ Scott M

Wolf? He's at 6.544kp... (6.544 kilo-posts, 6,544!)

Nick
    I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Default Re:6" Dome-woofer/ Wolf

How do you guys get that gray box to appear, such that the post I am responding to, shows up?

Wolf:
    When you cited the example of a 6" Dome-woofer:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

I remember a Morel 6 inch (not 6 1/2) woofer, with a voice coil so big, and a dust cap even bigger, that it looked like a huge dome, BUT, it was no where near 13#. I wish I knew what "Herb" found. Waveguides, and pro-sound are in my vocabulary. Thanks !

I did quite a lot of research into domes awhile ago, for me they didnt suit my dual woofer design (I needed something to get down to 300hz).
    The best I found was the Visaton DSM50FFL titanium dome, usable response 800-15k, the only other one I would consider is the Dayton RS52 which is newer.

Default Re: 6" Dome-woofer/ Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    How do you guys get that gray box to appear, such that the post I am responding to, shows up?
    Use the "Quote" button within the individual posts.

Default Re: gray box

Quote Originally Posted by bmaupin View Post
    Use the "Quote" button within the individual posts.

Thanks a million !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick29498141 View Post
    Wolf? He's at 6.544kp... (6.544 kilo-posts, 6,544!)

Nick

Thing is, I've been active for a LOT longer than where the count was referenced. I started at PE's board about 2002, which is 3+ years more than what I have posted/recorded for the last 3 yrs. It's probably closer to 10k.
    Later,
    Wolf

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:

Blog Entries

Default Re: 6" Dome-woofer/ Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    Wolf:
    When you cited the example of a 6" Dome-woofer:

I remember a Morel 6 inch (not 6 1/2) woofer, with a voice coil so big, and a dust cap even bigger, that it looked like a huge dome, BUT, it was no where near 13#. I wish I knew what "Herb" found. Waveguides, and pro-sound are in my vocabulary. Thanks !
    I think he found them from a second-hand situation, and jumped at the chance. You could probably search the archive for his posts, UNLESS it was on the old MAD forum. I don't recall where it was. They appear to be of the felt-paper/compressed-paper diaphragm material. Frames are cast, VC's are LARGE I have uploaded the pictures I have, and I would want a pair as well!!! He used them in regular configuration, with the HiVi 1"/2" TM combo so he had a Dome 3-way. There is also a large Pioneer 15" driver in the sides. They have to be about 4ft^3!!! in size.

(Photobucket is acting screwy, so I will post the links later.)

On a side-note, why not take a 5" DC130, and load it with a large dustcap? Or even a PA130? You'll get the radiation pattern required to use the waveguide, however, there could be a cavity resonance. I would definitely stuff something in there, but I don't know if the sound would then be muted or not.

And a couple additions-
    I have a set of OEM 2" red-fabric-domes with a super low resonance of about 260 Hz. I don't know what they came out of, but they are from a commercial pair.

I also have 4 of the Radio Shack 2" mid-domes that I need to do something with.
    Later,
    Wolf

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:

Blog Entries

Default Here's the dome-woofer pics...

Later,
    Wolf

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:

I've never seen a dome woofer before. How do they sound?

Thread Information