$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Smile Help with TB 704D /Vifa DQ25SC16-04

I had previously bought a few pairs of the TB704D last year and I'm looking into finishing at least one pair to try a new combination I haven't seen yet. I'm thinking about mating the TB 704 with the Vifa DQ25SC16-04, because it is relatively inexpebsive (and got high marks on Zaph's website). Anyone out there willing to put these two drivers in a simulation tool? I also had previously bought the 2nd order parts for the TB used on the Noobsters (1.5 mh and a 5.6 ufd cap) but not sure if they will mate well with the little vifa tweet? Anyone with spare time?

thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with TB 704D /Vifa DQ25SC16-04

The Vifa DQ25SC is not suitable for a LR 2nd order design with its xover frequency at 3.5 kHz or lower, due to its rolloff starting early.

I once modeled a crossover for MTM with W5-704D and DQ25SC for a person I came to know at diyAudio. Here's what I did:

Baffle can be 8" to 9" wide. If you want to go vented, here's an example of build:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=208702

For a sealed design (to be used with a subwoofer), the PE .75 cu ft MTM cabinet is perfect.

The tweeter can be centered or offset up to 1.25". In case it's centered, a bit of off-axis listening with slight or no toe-in will be optimal. The only fine-tuning option I provide is the tweeter output level by adjusting the R9 value (default: 1.75 ohm, two 3.5 ohm resistors in parallel). You may want to experiment with values from 1.5 to 2 ohm. At least I'd compare 1.75 ohm and 2 ohm settings.

-jAy

Quote Originally Posted by jkim View Post
    The Vifa DQ25SC is not suitable for a LR 2nd order design with its xover frequency at 3.5 kHz or lower, due to its rolloff starting early.

I once modeled a crossover for MTM with W5-704D and DQ25SC for a person I came to know at diyAudio. Here's what I did:

Baffle can be 8" to 9" wide. If you want to go vented, here's an example of build:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=208702

For a sealed design (to be used with a subwoofer), the PE .75 cu ft MTM cabinet is perfect.

The tweeter can be centered or offset up to 1.25". In case it's centered, a bit of off-axis listening with slight or no toe-in will be optimal. The only fine-tuning option I provide is the tweeter output level by adjusting the R9 value (default: 1.75 ohm, two 3.5 ohm resistors in parallel). You may want to experiment with values from 1.5 to 2 ohm. At least I'd compare 1.75 ohm and 2 ohm settings.

-jAy

jay, would a P-core suffice (.14 DCR) for the 1.2mh in lieu of the air cores?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wushuliu View Post
    jay, would a P-core suffice (.14 DCR) for the 1.2mh in lieu of the air cores?
    It will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jkim View Post
    It will work just fine.
    thanks jay. I've attached some pics of the build. Just about done, just some cosmetic touching up needed once I'm happy with everything. I am currently using 18ga 1.5mh inductors unwound to 1.2 (per the online calculator), and ~1.96 ohm (paralleled resistors) for R9.

I decided to give this design a go because of:

1. My previously mentioned bass/room boundary issues
    2. Desire for increased efficiency and lower impedance, which
    provides greater flexibility for diy amp designs.
    3. I wanted to buy and learn to use a plunge router & jig
    4. I had all the components except the woofers, so it was pretty cheap.

I have never owned tower/mtm/tmm, etc. speakers before so it's hard for me to judge the sound. Also my room issues compromises the low end to a degree, so I know I'm not getting the most accurate response -but it's *much* better than the Poor Man's and sub setup I had in that regard. No more gap in the midbass. I did demo several $2k and up at a local hi-fi shop a few weeks ago. I would say the midrange and up of this mtm sounds just as good to my ears. I love being able to attenuate the tweeter as most retail designs are too hot for me.

Thanks again, jay. Hope the job search is going well.

ainsley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtma.JPG 
Views:	245 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	4539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtm2a.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	4540  

Blog Entries

They look great! Using 18 gauge air cores for the 1.2 mH coils is just fine, too. Don't bother to buy new coils. You used the Jantzen 18 gauge, didn't you? Do you remember how many turns you take out from the 1.5 mH? I can double check it for you.

-jAy

Yes, they're a step up from the first build. The plunge router was far easier (and more fun) to use than I expected.

I believe I unwound by 20 turns. Yes, 18ga Jantzen (not the steel laminate in the photo).

Blog Entries

Yes, it is close to my calculated 22 turns.

Thread Information