First Build - looking for some feedback (BIG 56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan_M
    • Feb 2009

First Build - looking for some feedback (BIG 56k warning)

This is my first speaker build, I'm building Jeff B's Dreydels. I had these drivers on hand (they are going to other projects) but I wanted to try a small build to get my feet wet and try some construction ideas for those other projects. I also wanted to hear what some 'smallish' speakers can do because I'll need some speakers for my computer. Apologies to Jeff in advance for using your design as a guinea pig. After initially laying things out and it looking a little tight I extended the baffle at the bottom by 1" so my baffle is 8"x13". I admit a completely uneducated decision but I've seen people make monitors into towers, so I figured that an extra inch at the bottom would have minimal effect. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. Box volume is ~3.2 cu.ft. not including bracing, driver, & port displacement, etc.

I'll post pics of the build in progress, probably a lot of stuff I don't need to but I wanted to show what I'm up to. I'd like to get some feed back on what I'm doing wrong.. or right, and I'm asking for it so be honest.

First parts cut and biscuits cut.

Gluing up first joints.

It's even square!

Main part of box done with a brace I took the liberty of adding. Not saying it needed it, just one of those things I wanted to try out.

Box with the rest of the flange that the back piece will mount on. Note to self - shoulda biscuit'ed these.

Another lesson learned. I guess the sides bowed in a bit when clamping the final glue-up with the brace, so now the sides are permanently bowed in. I think it's small enough it will go unnoticed unless someone lays a straight edge against the sides of course.

Gluing in corner braces/baffle mountings.

I had an issue when I cut my first hole that the disk (and router with it) wandered a bit when I broke through and kissed the side of the hole making a little gouge. Yeah I could've screwed it all to the sacrificial piece so that didn't happen but I remembered a trick from the telescope guys and on the last pass I didn't do the full 360°. It keeps the router from taking off and you can push the disc out breaking the bridges by hand and sand off the remainder in no time.

First driver holes cut.

Dropped my router and this was the result. $300+ router with a $40 bit and this is all that broke, I suppose you could say I made out lucky.

Than I dropped a box... stupid gravity. Not to self - Don't be DUMB!

I worked in some thinned glue and clamped it an it appears to have cleaned up OK.

Back to the baffle. Another one of those ideas I'm trying. Maybe not so much an issue with bigger drivers but I wasn't sure how I'd route out the relief and still leave enough meat for t-nuts... couldn't find any 8-32 t-nuts anyway.

After the chamfer.

Dowels added and trimmed.

Baffle with all threaded inserts. The other ones (not around the drivers) are to hold the baffle onto the box. Yet another idea. The intention is these baffles are screwed on from the inside so I can have a removable baffle without the screw holes.

Initially I only had the four corners of the baffle mounted but pushing on the back of the baffle I could see a little flex so I decided to add the extra mounting screws part way down.

I left the baffle a little big so I could trim off the excess so it'd be a perfect fit with the box... and good thing since the sided are a little bowed. Heres the edge treatment with a 3/4" round over bit. due to bearing spacing it didn't quite take it all off but it was so thin it sanded down in minutes.

Here's where I am now. It looks to me like everything is working out so far.

I still need to make the back piece and mount it, as well as make the port. I also need to make the XO and mount it + wiring. I have to admit I'm really looking forward to giving these a try. I've never heard 'proper' speakers before, just department store boom box cheapo stuff, so make that really anxious.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Erick O
    • Dec 2008

Re: First Build - looking for some feedback (BIG 56k warning)

I'm jealous of your woodworking skills. Just looking at your pictures has given me lots of ideas on how to do a better job on my tritrixes I'm about to build. Those are some nice speakers. I can't wait to see how you finish them.

Comment

• djg
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2008

Very nice work, especially the inlet dowel speaker mounts, and the interior baffle mounting.

Comment

• MidKnight
        Been Around Awhile
        • Jul 2008

Good looking build. Thanks for posting all the pics. There's nothing more helpful for us woodworking newbies.

Comment

• john trials
          • Mar 2009

Very nice looking boxes!

I damaged a corner on my Tritrix project, like you did on yours. I routed the corner out and glued in a new piece of MDF. I wish I tried your method first...mine required bondo and sanding...your's looks nicer and was probably less labor.
          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Paul Carmody
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Nov 2006

Yeeow! That's some good woodworking skills you've got there. You wanna build my cabinets for me? ;) Also, when are you away from the house, so can I steal your table saw?
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Ryan_M
              • Feb 2009

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
              Also, when are you away from the house, so can I steal your table saw?
              heh, if you can run away with it you deserve it! The weight of the saw with the router mounted and the homemade biesemeyer clone fence is probably getting close to ~600Lbs.

Erick O, don't get too excited lol... Like I said these were just a trial/test run. I'll probably seal and primer them to protect the MDF but may not go too far beyond that. I may finish painting them just for the experience. I don't like doing finishes, probably because I'm not very good at it.

Comment

• gumert
                Been Around Awhile
                • Feb 2009

As the others have said, amazing wood work. It makes me feel inadequate in regards to my current build. I too like the dowel method - I was wondering how I was going to mount my t-nuts.

I'm sure however you finish them will look a lot better than what I can do given the time it seems you spent building the cabs right.

Comment

• philiparcario
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Aug 2007

I like the build. One thing extra to do would be this. you have a frame inside the box for the back panel. it looks to be 1 inch or 3/4 inches deep to lay your back piece onto. that shelf looks to be glued to the inner walls of the speaker. I would cut 4 braces for it running front to back in the four corners of the speaker. this would support the front baffle more and support the back shelf frame more.

Comment

• Ryan_M
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MidKnight
                    Good looking build. Thanks for posting all the pics. There's nothing more helpful for us woodworking newbies.
                    I'm a newb too. I've used tools for a long time but haven't done serious projects that often. I do have an appreciation for good tools which makes a big difference. Cheap tools don't really save you money especially if you plan to use them past a few years when counting time and do-overs/material costs. Makes a big difference when after using a tool for a task you're thinking "how do I fix this up to look nice" or "I've got a lot of sanding to do" vs. "man I LOVE this tool". Get the good stuff, you'll see why they charge what they charge.

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten here but TBH there wasn't a lot of skill involved, just set the fence at the right spot or the bit depth just right and mindlessly push the work through and let the tools do the work. It's all in the setup and jigging, and being able to trust your tools to stay rigid, true and square.

Not sure what other advice I can offer as a fellow newb but I'll gladly tell you what I can to help,
                    Ryan

Comment

• ScottM
                      • Sep 2008

Nice job on those! I also just clued in that you're from Ontario. The bottle of Laker Lager in the background made the little lightbulb turn on above my head. BTW, I rout the same way you do; plunge rout all the way through except for 2 tabs to hold the pin in place so the router doesn't wander off at the end.

Scott

Comment

• Mark65
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jul 2007

Okay, I officially dub you a non-newbie woodworker. I would move you to journeyman, except for that bow.:D

Maybe it's the tools, and maybe not. I'm not sure at all that I could show up at your shop and produce those results. Measurement, preparation, imagination, and patience are what make a good woodworker, IMHO, and you've got all four. I've got two at best on any given day.:(

Excellent work, and also IMHO, you should follow these through to the end, including finishing, and keep them or sell them, I don't care which. Boxes that nice don't deserve to be discarded in the name of education. Get the drivers you need (again),:p and let this project live!

Mark
                        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Aug 2008

brother, you got skills for sure.
                          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• mgrabow
                            • Nov 2008

Nice work. good , simple, proven concepts... Too many guys try to re-invent the wheel with odd materials, strange shapes or go back to the stone ages with screws and shelf paper... Very Very nice...

Mark

Mark

http://www.diy-ny.com

Comment

• nick29498141
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mgrabow
                              Someone is building some serious speakers! Do tell..

NK
                              I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Working...