$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Morbid curiousity (surround backs and presence speakers)

Ok, so the majority of Yahama receivers, more importantly mine , support either presence speakers OR the surround back speakers but not both.

In addition with my HTR-5990 it only supports 5.1 PCM in via HDMI, so even with Blueray from my PS3, I'll only ever get the 5.1 from it. So basically I'm left with surround back speakers generated from Dolby's llx technology.

To the point...basically since I'm stuck with my surround back speakers being generated from llx is there an external llx box that could that same thing with the preouts from the side surrounds so I can use the Yamaha with Presence speakers but still get the llx surround back speakers via external llx and amp?

Yeh, I know, probably far from cost effective, even if an option exists. But the more I thought about this, the more I'm really curious if such a thing exists.

Default Re: Morbid curiousity (surround backs and presence speakers)

Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    Ok, so the majority of Yahama receivers, more importantly mine , support either presence speakers OR the surround back speakers but not both.

In addition with my HTR-5990 it only supports 5.1 PCM in via HDMI, so even with Blueray from my PS3, I'll only ever get the 5.1 from it. So basically I'm left with surround back speakers generated from Dolby's llx technology.

To the point...basically since I'm stuck with my surround back speakers being generated from llx is there an external llx box that could that same thing with the preouts from the side surrounds so I can use the Yamaha with Presence speakers but still get the llx surround back speakers via external llx and amp?

Yeh, I know, probably far from cost effective, even if an option exists. But the more I thought about this, the more I'm really curious if such a thing exists.

You would need an Audio/Video processor which would probably run you at least half the cost of a new reciever that can do what you are looking for. Best thing I can suggest is selling yours in the classified section or if that fails eBay, and picking up a newer Yamaha, personally I prefer the RX-V series.
    ----------------------------------
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    AC130MKII/BG NEO3PDR Two-Ways
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Blog Entries

Hey Justin... the HTR-5990 =~ RX-V2500. The difference is the color of the print on the front panel and the 5990 doesn't have a removable IEC power cord.
    nothing can stop me now

The front of the reciever looks much cleaner on the RX-V. It has a lot less buttons unless you drop down the front door. I actually have the RX-V2500 (which you probably got from my signature), it takes in 7.1 just fine as far as I can tell. I only run 5.1, but I have a few sources that are 7.1 and they show up as such in the menus/media information panel.

HTR

RX-V
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Blog Entries

Really? Huh. Coulda sworn that was the one. I know that for every >$400 HTR there's a matching RX-V.
    nothing can stop me now

I should also note the RX-V2500 that I have doesn't support HDMI, I am using the digital in to get the 7.1.
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Really? Huh. Coulda sworn that was the one. I know that for every >$400 HTR there's a matching RX-V.
    There probably is, but the asthetics are much different between the two lines now, or rather when I got mine 3 or 4 years ago.
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

One way around that is if your TV has an optical out, connect your HDMI to your tv and an optical to your reciever from your TV. I know this kind of defeats the purpose of having an A/V reciever but it might work as a interim solution.
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post

Since 7.1 requires a remix of the original theatrical audio, there's not a lot of true discrete 7.1 available currently so most 7.1 speaker layouts will require matrixing. Truth be told, I can't say I hear a lot of difference between true 7.1 and matrixed 5.1->7.1 material...a good mix is a good mix and IIx/THX-Ultra type algorithms do a really good job with them.

Have you checked to see if the surround back pre-outs are still hot when the presence amps are being used? It might be only the internal amps that are reassigned for presence duty.

I think about the best you can do is 6.1 + presence if the SB preouts are disconnected. A used/retired surround receiver could be used matrix the SR/SL into SR/SL/SBC using Dolby ProLogic and connecting the front L/C/R outputs to the corresonding surround speaker. The front center from DPL matrixing will probably be harder than the surround back channels created by IIx. This was actually the "poor man's" way of adding a center surround when Dolby EX/DTS-ES first appeared since a lot of folks had a retired DPL receiver laying around after they upgraded for DD/DTS.

You could also experiment with other surround modes applied to the SR/SL channels. One example would be "all channel stereo" where the side surround channel would be duplicated to the rears (configured for no center). If the second receiver is new enough, you could used DPL II (not IIx) to expand the "stereo" surround feed to use its FR/FL outputs for surround and its SR/SL for the surround back channels.

-Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_S View Post
    Have you checked to see if the surround back pre-outs are still hot when the presence amps are being used? It might be only the internal amps that are reassigned for presence duty.
    They aren't hot, one of the main issues I have if I wanted to expand from my 5.1 to 9.1 I can't.
    Gear:
    Samsung PN50A650
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    Hafler DH-200
    RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Thanks for all the comments!
    I've pretty much decided against the presence speakers, just not worth the hassle. I'll keep my 7.1 with the matrixed rears and call it good.

Oh, and my HTR-5990 does have a removal power cable.

Thread Information