$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default M&K Volkswoofer Amplifier - Can it be bridged?

My dad just picked up a Volkswoofer on Craigslist. The driver was shot. He purchased a replacement driver from some place that sold old M&K stock, but they sent him a "12" super fast deep bass" driver. The original was DVC, the replacement one is not. That is the reason for the question.

The amp has four outputs for the original DVC and no indication of how to bridge or if it can be bridged.

Can the replacement driver be used with the original amp? Can the amp be bridged? If so, how?

This is the info from my dad: M&K Volkswoofer III (from the 1980s) Serial Number 005611

Thanks for your help,

marlowe

Default Re: M&K Volkswoofer Amplifier - Can it be bridged?

It's unlikely that the amp is set up to be bridged, but you never know. If it can be you would hook the (+) lead of one channel and the (-) lead from the other to the driver. If the amp is powerful enough, one channel may be all that you need for that replacement driver. However, if it's a big worry for you, I would just recommend getting a sub that is DVC and not worry about it.

before you do any more spending. hook one channel up to the woofer see if you get sound. if one channel works unhook it and hook the other channel up. if both channels work , you should get a dvc sub and get rid of the new wrong replacement driver. at least don't use it for this sub.

what are the inside dimensions of the sub case and is it ported. if ported how wide is the port and how long ?

Thanks for the input. I happen to have one of the Dayton DVC drivers collecting dust, so I'll send it to him and be done with it. I think that's the best way to go. I appreciate the response and input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	295-185_s.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	5109  

Blog Entries

The Dayton DVC woofer should have a lot more grunt than the Superfast Deep Bass driver from M&K, which is a Peerless SLS. The original M&K "Discover Deep Bass" drivers were Eminence, I believe, and I think the Dayton DVC drivers are also Eminence. If the enclosure is sealed, you're in luck - sealed enclosures are slightly more tolerant of misaligned parameters than vented boxes. The wrong woofer in a vented box can rip itself apart at high volumes.
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Thread Information