X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Æ
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Dec 2005

Re: gluing mdf end to end?

Biscuits really help with alignment. I successfully used biscuits and Gorilla Glue on some veneered MDF enclosures that I built. I chose Gorilla Glue, because it can be cleaned off the veneer with acetone.
    I often mention epoxy because it has not only superior strength, but fill properties too. Wood glue has little or no strength in a wide gap, not so with epoxy. Epoxy is way stronger than Titebond or Gorilla Glue. And if you let the epoxy overflow the glue joint, it will fill your glue joint. You will have no joint line problems other than some extra sanding to do.
    Think of industrial, aerospace and military applications. Would they use wood glue or epoxy?

Originally posted by kfallscody
    Oh wow, I was not expecting this many replies.. thanks!

As far as glue goes, I always use titebond. I tried the gorilla glue on my DIII's several years ago and gave up on it after just a few joints.. that stuff is WAY more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

I had planned on using biscuits but not if the will actually weaken the joint. This joint will be on the bottom so it won't have the stress of my feet sitting right on it, so not sure how big of a deal that would be.

I am also building a set of overnight sensations and according to my cut layout, I should have a enough extra to cut a 13"x13" piece from the 1/2" MDF. I could just glue that to the bottom of my triska, giving a 1 1/4" thick base but then would have no worries of joint weakness. I think I might do that.. assuming the real world cutting matches up intended cut layout

Again, thanks for all the input! Is very much appreciated. At least I know I am not planning on doing something really stupid
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thomas Brown
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Æ
      Biscuits really help with alignment. I successfully used biscuits and Gorilla Glue on some veneered MDF enclosures that I built. I chose Gorilla Glue, because it can be cleaned off the veneer with acetone.
      I often mention epoxy because it has not only superior strength, but fill properties too. Wood glue has little or no strength in a wide gap, not so with epoxy. Epoxy is way stronger than Titebond or Gorilla Glue. And if you let the epoxy overflow the glue joint, it will fill your glue joint. You will have no joint line problems other than some extra sanding to do.
      Think of industrial, aerospace and military applications. Would they use wood glue or epoxy?

are those ceiling tiles i see in that attachment?
      THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
      SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
      - SCOTT IAN

Comment

• Æ
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Thomas Brown
        are those ceiling tiles i see in that attachment?
        Yes, acoustical ceiling tiles.
        A trick I learned from my mentor Henry Wolcott.

Comment

• kfallscody
          • Oct 2005

So what kind/brand of epoxy would you suggest? I'm willing to give it a shot, especially if it will give a stronger bond and mean less finishing work. I have never been able to avoid the dreaded seams eventually showing up on my speakers :(

Originally posted by Æ

Comment

• Æ
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by kfallscody
            So what kind/brand of epoxy would you suggest? I'm willing to give it a shot, especially if it will give a stronger bond and mean less finishing work. I have never been able to avoid the dreaded seams eventually showing up on my speakers :(
            The epoxy I use, I buy at Tap Plastics. It's kind of expensive, they sell it by the pint, quart and gallon. But I'm sure you could get a smaller quantity of just about any liquid epoxy at your local hardware store. Slow to medium set. Equal parts resin and hardener, amber color.

Comment

Working...