Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkim
    Seasoned Veteran
    • May 2007

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

The Tang Band W6-789E is a unique, high-sensitivity (at least 91 dB/2.83 v on IB) midbass driver. Will be on sale for only three days (11/27-11/29) for less than half the regular price---a steal at $20! I once modeled TM 2-ways a while ago, one with the Vifa D26NC55 and the other with BG Neo3PDR. Both builders were very happy with the results. This midbass driver requires rather large a box for a vented alignment, but 0.5 cu ft per driver is not out of the question though 0.7 to 0.8 cu ft is better.

If anyone's interested, I am willing to model up a crossover for TM and MTM with a high-value tweeter. MTM will have anechoic 92.5 - 93 dB system sensitivity even with BSC built in. A tweeter in this system should be at least 94 dB sensitive. One that I'm thinking of is the Vifa BC25SG15-04 (non-shielded version is BC25TG15-04). This is basically a ferrite version of the Vifa's new, popular neo tweeters. 2 kHz LR4 shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT
    --------------------------------------------------
    In case you want to go directly to design details:

MTM with SB29RDCN-C000-04

MTM with Vifa DQ25SC16-04

Horizontal MTM for Center Channel with SB29RDCN-C000-04

TM with SB29RDCN-C000-04

TM with Vifa DQ25SC16-04

jAy
    Last edited by jkim; 12-03-2009, 06:07 PM.
  • bmaupin
    • Oct 2005

possible tweeter options

Not small faceplate, but high value and handle low cross point (DX25 variants):

Brad
    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

• jkim
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2007

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Good suggestion, but I'd rather use a non-buyout item. And I like the BC's slightly higher impedance as well as a little higher sensitivity.

Comment

• Mayhem13
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jun 2008

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Count me in for the MTM Jay. Do you need me to have the drivers drop shipped to you? I've been waiting for these to go on sale again for quite a while now. I think we would be better served to see just how high up these will go before picking a tweeter unless you've got some real time response data?

Comment

• jkim
          Seasoned Veteran
          • May 2007

Mayhem, you're really addicted! BTW, did you have a chance to build something out of the buyout Peerless HDS 5.25" 830911's? Now I strongly suspect that this driver has lower voice coil inductance than the 832873 which I used for modeling.

Comment

• Mayhem13
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jun 2008

Passed them on to a fellow AVS member who needed em more than i did but these TB's are just what i need for my new Living room system. For an MTM sensitivity wise and with some offset to reduce C to C spacing i find the SBAcoustics SB29 small faceplate variant to be a near perfect match! Wadda you think?

Comment

• jkim
              Seasoned Veteran
              • May 2007

Performance-wise, the SB29 neo version is a perfect choice, albeit at a significantly higher cost. But we need only one tweeter per speaker. It can even be crossed at 1.7 k - 1.8 kHz, which is a big plus for an MTM.

jAy

Comment

• theLinks
                • Mar 2009

Jay
                How would a MT compare to your original rs 180 poor man's? I could be interested in a comparison for a later build. Thanks,
                Tim

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by theLinks
                  Jay
                  How would a MT compare to your original rs 180 poor man's? I could be interested in a comparison for a later build. Thanks,
                  Tim
                  I wouldn't put a good tweeter with that woofer unless it were two woofers. The Xmax is similar to the DA175, and like the DA175, the TB will run out of oomph well before any of the suggested tweeters.

MTM, or WMTMW 2.5-way would be in order, especially with the excellent SB dimple dome.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• jkim
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by theLinks
                    Jay
                    Tim
                    Impossible to answer at this point. But if you don't listen loud, significantly higher sensitivity than that of the RS180 will pay off when driven by a mid-level amp.

Comment

• jkim
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • May 2007

Yes, I agree, Pete. An MMTMM or an MTMMM 2.5-way with the SB dimple dome neo will be capable of reference level playback in a typical home theater when high-passed by an AV receiver's active filter.

jAy

Comment

• theLinks
                        • Mar 2009

I've never measured how loud I that I listen, imo medium level. But if you count my wife yelling it's to loud then, it's all an opinion, right?:D

Comment

• DannyT
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Jan 2009

where can I find the BF deals?

Comment

• Mayhem13
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jun 2008

I was thinking MTM Pete, crossed THX style at 80hz. I think there will be added value in the more expensive SB tweeter on several fronts.....High SQ, Low HD and what should be a lower XO component count. A $20 tweeter is always nice until you have to add a 3pc notch or flattening circuit to it. If the TB woofers can do 2k and i suspect they can an LR2 filter should keep component costs low.

Comment

• jkim
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by Mayhem13
                              I was thinking MTM Pete, crossed THX style at 80hz. I think there will be added value in the more expensive SB tweeter on several fronts.....High SQ, Low HD and what should be a lower XO component count. A $20 tweeter is always nice until you have to add a 3pc notch or flattening circuit to it. If the TB woofers can do 2k and i suspect they can an LR2 filter should keep component costs low.
                              You can do LR2 only if you recess mount the SB29. I wouldn't add a delay network only to nullify the purpose of a high-value design. But for an MTM, low-order filters with resulting 3rd-order-like phase integration is something to consider thanks to the nature of symmetric lobing of MTM layout. In that sense, you have a point.

Comment

Working...