X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billfitzmaurice
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Nov 2006

Re: Measure inductance wtih a multimeter

Use a standard resistor network/sinewave generator as used to measure impedance. Measure an inductor of known value to establish a baseline measurement for volts as mH rather than volts as ohms. Preferably measure a known value close to the estimated of the unknown. If you already have the gear to measure impedance you have the gear to measure inductors.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• diy speaker guy
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Herman Trivilino
      A speaker-builder is going to need that wider range, so, yes. Another factor to consider is zeroing. The LCR and a lot of the other digital meters that I have will not let me zero them. This can be a problem.
      Thanks.

Both those meters can zero (I think). The cheaper ones claim auto zeroing and the other one has an "adj" knob which (I assume) is used for zeroing.
      Don't even try
      to sort out the lies
      it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

• diy speaker guy
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice
        Use a standard resistor network/sinewave generator as used to measure impedance. Measure an inductor of known value to establish a baseline measurement for volts as mH rather than volts as ohms. Preferably measure a known value close to the estimated of the unknown. If you already have the gear to measure impedance you have the gear to measure inductors.
        Thanks Bill. I'll look into this but I'll at those prices I will probably buy a meter anyway.

I have recently been acquiring passive xo components and now that I have a few hundred of them, the convenience and automatic nature of a meter is going to save me a lot of time.
        Don't even try
        to sort out the lies

Comment

• 1100xxben
          Seasoned Veteran
          • May 2008

FYI, I used to use a known value, non-inductive resistor in series with components and a signal generator to measure capacitance and inductance. I also used to measure T/S parameters with that resistor, a signal generator, and an oscilloscope. Now, I use Speaker workshop. After building a simple jig, found here, you can measure impedance of drivers, T/S parameters, passive components, and much more. I believe this setup is very similar to the WT3, but the software is open source and when I built the jig, I think it only ran me about $20 in parts. Granted, I had access to a 4-wire ohm meter to measure all my calibration resistors, but it's super easy to measure inductors and capacitors.

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
            Obsessed & Proud of It
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by diy speaker guy
            Thanks Bill. I'll look into this but I'll at those prices I will probably buy a meter anyway.
            I don't use that setup for impedance anymore, I just suggested it in case you did. I now use WT3, and it does inductance as well. I find that WT3 is a bit off, so I still calibrate it with a coil of known value.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• diy speaker guy
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by 1100xxben
              FYI, I used to use a known value, non-inductive resistor in series with components and a signal generator to measure capacitance and inductance. I also used to measure T/S parameters with that resistor, a signal generator, and an oscilloscope. Now, I use Speaker workshop. After building a simple jig, found here, you can measure impedance of drivers, T/S parameters, passive components, and much more. I believe this setup is very similar to the WT3, but the software is open source and when I built the jig, I think it only ran me about $20 in parts. Granted, I had access to a 4-wire ohm meter to measure all my calibration resistors, but it's super easy to measure inductors and capacitors.
              Thanks for the suggestion but I honestly don't find the electrical side of the hobby fun or easy. I use LIMP (ARTA) and it's 1 piece jig to measure speaker t/s but I think for L and C, a $35 meter is worth it to me for instant measurements with no fuss.
              Don't even try
              to sort out the lies

Comment

• diy speaker guy
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice
                I don't use that setup for impedance anymore, I just suggested it in case you did. I now use WT3, and it does inductance as well. I find that WT3 is a bit off, so I still calibrate it with a coil of known value.
                No I use LIMP (ARTA) for impedance. I was going to use it for L and C as well (just compare the Z curve to a known value) but the sweeps take a couple minutes each.

I never really looked into it, but previously the cheapest LC meter I had seen was $55 + international shipping, not really worth it, especially after hearing so many reports of inaccuracy in cheap meters. But the one I linked at $35 shipped is too inexpensive to ignore.
                Don't even try
                to sort out the lies

Comment

Working...