$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Working with the Linaeum Dipole Tweeter

For a more long term project, nothing immediate, but I've got four working Radio Shack LX5 with the Linaeum dipole tweeter.

Is anyone aware of measurements for the tweeter? I figured I could use them for something.

I've found some stuff for XO tweaks of the existing speakers and a small project about reusing the tweeter, but nothing for actual tweeter measurements.

Default Re: Working with the Linaeum Dipole Tweeter

I've got several pair used for things like for surrounds, but one of which was just gathering dust. I figure the woofer foam won't last forever so I repurposed the tweeters.

Just for kicks I put it as a super tweeter on top of my HT mains. I made a simple 12db hi-pass XO for it around 10k. The RS28 tweeter in the mains is still running in its normal range . Looks kinda cool - I'll try to post a photo.

FWIW here's some info I found. It sounds better than it measures:
    http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=rslx_m.html

I don't have any measurements, but about 10 years or so ago I spent a fair bit of time playing with the Lx-5. I dropped a Seas P14RCY/P into the cabinet in place of the stock woofer to very good effect.
    The best project involving the tweeter though was to use the Seas driver in a ~8" sphere with the Linaeum dipole sitting on top - a poor man's version of the Gallo Nucleus. IMHO it showed great promise - amazing soundstaging and imaging, although since I lacked decent measurement capability at the time I never managed to dial in a really good xover.
    Still, taking the Ikea salad bowl idea they're exploring over at diyaudio and plopping the Linaeum on top might be a very interesting setup.

Tom Bond made some really nice mini-monitors / pc speaks with Linaeums and RS100's - you should try and contact him. They really sounded nice and are one of the few speaks my GF actually noticed, mine included!

Cheers / Robert

Why not mod the LX5 for a start.

Here's a discussion of the famous Eric Wallin/Larry Van Wormer LX5 mod that's generally considered the best to date. Note that Dennis Murphy looked at Larry's crossover mod and found that all he felt was needed was an added resistor (30-33 ohms).
    This also includes cabinet damping and woofer mods. An interesting read for anyone contemplating use of the LX5 in any manner. Please read this entire thread before using the link Larry provides, as it has some later thoughts on the initial modification and tips not included in the linked article.

http://forum.diyspeakers.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65

Best Regards,
    TerryO

Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    For a more long term project, nothing immediate, but I've got four working Radio Shack LX5 with the Linaeum dipole tweeter.

Is anyone aware of measurements for the tweeter? I figured I could use them for something.

I've found some stuff for XO tweaks of the existing speakers and a small project about reusing the tweeter, but nothing for actual tweeter measurements.
    I may be able to help. I have two Lineaum Tweets that RS sold as separates, I also have a pair of Pro- LX5 II that I could measure. One thing I'm not sure of,,, a normal driver would be measured while mounted on a "standard" baffle, what "standard" mount would work for the dipole linaeum?

BTW: I have Soundeasy 16, EMM-6 and Behr mic pre-amp. Pretty much the usual measurement standard around here.

Phil

Thread Information