$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Question Crown Power Amps Vs BGW, etc.?

Hello all. I'm in the market for another power amp. I would like to know some opinions about the Crown power amps that PE sells. They are on sale this month.How are they compared to BGW or Behringer, QSC, Carver or any other ones? Thank you all in advance for your time!!!, GregB.

Default Re: Crown Power Amps Vs BGW, etc.?

Crown is about as good as any midpriced amp. BGW hasn't been around for at least 10 years. Carver's been gone for awhile as well.

I bought one of the Crown's about 1.5 years ago and have no complaints whatsoever. I had a QSC that gave up the ghost after 20+ years.

I'm not a behringer fan, though some say they're power amps are good (but I 've yet to see anything by behringer in a pro environment)

To build "cost effective" amplifiers manufacturers have to cut corners in quality, performance, and features. This thread is asking about Crown in particular so you should know the old XLS series is well known for fan noise and the XTI series for poor low frequency performance, there are other reports of buttons falling off and LCD display problems as well. The other brands have their share of problems too so I'm not picking on Crown but the old addage still apllies.. you get what you pay for even from the big boys.
    Paul O

Thank you all for your time and knowledge! What about Yamaha? Thanks GregB.

I have two of them with no problems to date.. they're about 3rys old now. These amps are a hidden gem for studio and high powered home applications IMO specifically because of the sound quality and lack of fan noise. They do have fans but the amp design is so efficient there is hardly any waste heat so the temperature sentive fans never turn on under typical 8 or 4ohm loads. Besides that they're relatively light, sound quality is typical Yamaha clinically clean, and the built-in filters are usefull. I bought these over the QSC RMX series on SQ and weight.
    Paul O

I Run QSC RMX2450's, PLX3102's, Crown XTI2000/4000's, XLS602,XLS802, CE1000/2000 and for a short time... behringer ep2500's. i can tell you this...

Crown's RMA process is way faster than QSC's but they both honer there warranty and stand behind there product. Out of the 2 i like my crown amps better they seem to have better power to weight. Both are trusted brands and will deliver what they say they will.

As for the ep2500. does it put out the same power as a 2450rmx....Yes is it the same quality Hell no. it can deliver the watts it just cant do it for very long. i had 4 sub cabs all the same dual 18" 4ohm load 2 on rmx 2450's 2 on ep2500's after a few shows it was obvious that the ep2500's would start strong then fall into some kind of safty mode where they looked like they were working but not cranking out the watts when they should. then they would overheat. mind you they were being driver hard but limited hard so they would rarly ever clip just like the QSC's well long story short the QSC's never missed a beat the behringers were problematic and unreliable on sub duty. my guess is that the output transformers have the guts but the power supply is vastly lacking compared to QSC's. (I sold them off at a 50% loss after just 2 months and got 2 more used RMX2450's)

Similar experience with the EP2500. I ran one last year for 4 ohm top cabs and it was fine - even running into mild clipping. But I needed a quick test of four new horn subs this summer so I bridged it and the RMX2450 in the same rack. I though I bottomed the subs it sounded so nasty - clip lights and horrible popping sounds running 4 ohms bridged. The 2450 was perfectly fine with it.

Agreed that you can't go wrong with a Crown or QSC amp. Both are dang near bulletproof AND you know they are built very well. In my years of DJing various clubs, and helping with sound for live bands, I've used both many times.

I use Carvin DCM2000 amps (3) and have never had a hiccup from any of them. Very clean sound and I can beat the hell out of them and they never complain. Example is on a couple occasions (out of necessity), I ended up running both my SW1802 sub cabs (dual 18" cabs, 4 ohms each) paralleled off of a single DCM2K bridged. SO that's a 2-ohm load to a bridged amp! Ran non-stop for 4-hour shows, and though the amp's top was quite hot to the touch, it NEVER quit on me. Carvin has replaced the DCM line with the newer DCML line, which is a lighter Class AB design.

But, I would gladly and eagerly use a Crown or QSC again any day.

Thread Information