$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I hate hurricane nuts

I just finished up re-vamping my subwoofer box to go from a sealed to ported design. At the same time I decided to replace all the screws with socket cap bolts and hurricane nuts. What a PITA. I drilled everything out nicely and installed them with a C-clamp. They seemed nice and tight. I went to install the amp first and on the second to last screw, the nut just spun and I couldn't get the bolt back out. Had to cut the head off with bolt cutters. Happened two more times before I got everything installed. I ended up ripping most of the hurricane nuts back out and putting wood glue or epoxy on them before reinstalling. I may not be able to ever get my sub or amp back out, haha. I also 45 deg chamfered all the enclosure edges, re-did the finish (Duplicolor truck bed coating), and flush mounted the amp. I'll get some pics up soon.

On another note, porting that sub was the best thing I ever did (RSS315HF and 240W plate amp). Switching the boost resistors in the amp was a PITA though. I ended up heating the existing solder and pushing the resistors out with a paperclip, then installing the new ones on the opposite side of the board (WAY easier to access). It's so much louder and goes way lower now. The port ended up going in really nicely and I used PVC cement and epoxy to install it. The port is down-firing, and I still need to fine-tune the spacing above the carpet. I was getting some weird port-noise type stuff going on at 20 Hz (but that's a 0db sine wave). I think it may be the floor spacing, right now it's only at 1.5". I'm getting some nice feet for the sub later today to space it up higher. Probably the first ones here:
    http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDi...n+feet&x=0&y=0
    But now 30 Hz shakes the house considerably . I don't have any measurement equip, or I would see what the in-room response looks like.

Default Re: I hate hurricane nuts

Polyurethane glue works great for hurricane nuts. Just be sure to dampen with water either the wood or the nut first, and put the glue on the other. It has a nice gap filling expansion when applied correctly.

Here is a tip, while glue is drying, leave the screws in. This is so glue doesn't have a chance to get inside the nut threads and make it hard to screw in/out.

I had a few of the hurricane nuts that had bad threads and while driving the bolts in, they caught and spun right away.

A dab of just about any construction adhesive will anchor them solidly. I spray the bolts with WD40, use a big washer, and snug them up with the bolt. Back em off a turn and let them dry over night with the bolts in.
    Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I haven't had much trouble with hurricane nuts, but they don't bite into MDF for squat. Pressing them in with a dab of Gorilla Glue works wonders. Either that or make plywood pads for the back side of the baffle for the hurricane nuts to bite into. Even then, some glue doesn't hurt.

I use them for every build and never have a problem. When a screw won't start properly, I get out a tap.

• I never glue them in.
    • I mark the holes to drill by using a nail wrapped with electrical tape that will barely fit through the hole so it is centered.
    • I choose a drill that is the same size as the neck on the t-nut to get maximum grab.
    • I drill using multiple drill sizes and use 1/32" increments for the last 2 or 3 drillings.
    • I use screws to pull the t-nuts in so if I have a little misalignment the t-nut is installed providing the necessary angle.

Yes it is a lot of work to get them done right.

I've seen commercial products that use a staple to hold them in place. Obviously it doesn't cross right over the middle, it's a bit off center to still allow the screw to go in.

I've had hurricane nuts spin even when glued with polyurethane glue.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a lot of work bmaupin. As long as it works for you thats cool, would take way too long for me tho. You can put in 6 at a time with no issues this way.

These suckers are never coming out, or spinning, the MDF would be destroyed before the t-nut it's self or its bond will break.

I've switched over to using these. I put a little 2 part epoxy on them before threading them into the wood. On a recent baffle I was scrapping I tried to thread them back out to salvage them. I ended up completely stripping the allen socket on all of them and never got one to budge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
    I've switched over to using these. I put a little 2 part epoxy on them before threading them into the wood. On a recent baffle I was scrapping I tried to thread them back out to salvage them. I ended up completely stripping the allen socket on all of them and never got one to budge.
    Impressive, only have limited experience with those and I find them to be a bit sketchy because on mdf they never want to start quite straight, tho they usually seem to end up that way, and on plywood its hard to drill a big enough hole without the bit catching and causing tearout. Tho maybe thats just me.

I know what you mean. I use a T-handle allen wrench to put them in so I can eyeball them in straight. A brad point drill bit might help you with cleaner holes on ply as well.

these are the only way to go.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=fasteners

all others pale in comparison. It amazes me the pe does not carry them.

Dang, lots of response to the hurricane nuts! Yea, the ones that spun were primarily where I didn't glue them. And yea, leaving the screws in while they dry is a must so no glue gets in. Of course the screw can still glue to the nut. I noticed that even bits of sawdust and stuff will make for a rough bolt threading. I put a bit of WD40 on the screws also before threading to make sure it went in properly. This was my first experience with hurricane nuts. Next time I'll install them BEFORE I install the baffle on the enclosure.

Blog Entries

Yeah- those just plain rock! I've used them several times, and are my pick for well-nuts as of right now. The hammer-in type are nice too, but you probably should mold those in place for a better fit.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philiparcario View Post
    these are the only way to go.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=fasteners

all others pale in comparison. It amazes me the pe does not carry them.
    Hrm, those are kind of neat, a bit pricy at almost $1.00 each. That and going into MDF the aren't going to be any better than anything else I would think as screw holding in MDF is lousy at best. Plus the material would need to be fairly thick to accommodate the screws through the back. But neat idea none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I had a few of the hurricane nuts that had bad threads and while driving the bolts in, they caught and spun right away.
    So, I guess the best thing to do would be to test run a screw into each nut before installation. Or you could just quickly run a tap through each nut first as a precautionary measure.

One thing I learned form using Mollies/Drive anchors, is to use oil. A drop of oil on the screw threads helps prevent binding.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    So, I guess the best thing to do would be to test run a screw into each nut before installation. Or you could just quickly run a tap through each nut first as a precautionary measure.

One thing I learned form using Mollies/Drive anchors, is to use oil. A drop of oil on the screw threads helps prevent binding.
    Yep, gave me an excuse to run and buy a tap an die set, oh darn

Having used them a few times with success, I think one of the key things is to drill just the right sized hole. I measure them with calipers, and get as close as I can to the "shaft" size (OD of the main length) or go a hair smaller. There's just not that much blade on them, and if they're tight going in you've got friction on your side, besides the blades. If you're a size larger, it will be real easy for them to come loose.

And, I've always used some two part epoxy as well, for added insurance.

I only use EZ-Lock inserts. They're great:

Do It Someone Else.

Thread Information