$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When you post "or best offer" on craigslist....

That does not mean offer someone less than HALF their asking price. When those morons do that I just respond "LOL" and counter-offer a higher price than I originally posted in the ad.

Now I'm not even someone who puts way high prices on things on craigslist just because it's free and you can, I put really good deals on there.

I think the cutoff for making an offer is about 25% less than asking price, anymore and it's fair game for me to laugh at you.

I put an old empty Peavey 2x15 bass cab on for $80 or best offer. Some guy just offered $25. That gets an "LOL".

I had a quality road bike on there listed at $320 (which is a steal), some guy made a $200 offer, and got super angry at me when I responded back with "LOL" and didn't understand why. I understand that kind of response isn't really called for, but it's either that or ignoring them, and I'd rather let people know that they aren't going to get anywhere making low ball offers like that, especially when the add says how firm I am on the price. Thankfully I got my asking price out of it from a kind gentleman that knew it was a good deal. It's just rather obnoxious.

Blog Entries

Default Re: When you post "or best offer" on craigslist....

I think offering half is a fairly standard point to start haggling from?
    If it's a "stand mount" or "bookshelf" speaker, it's simply not a "no compromise" speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by killersoundz View Post
    That does not mean offer someone less than HALF their asking price. When those morons do that I just respond "LOL" and counter-offer a higher price than I originally posted in the ad.

Now I'm not even someone who puts way high prices on things on craigslist just because it's free and you can, I put really good deals on there.

I think the cutoff for making an offer is about 25% less than asking price, anymore and it's fair game for me to laugh at you.
    I sold a van for about 1/2 bluebook, in the ad I stated my price was firm and I would not entertain offers for less than the advertised price. I still got lowballers. It's just the way craigslist is, its free so people think the stuff that is for sale should be free too.

Maybe I don't understand haggling, I take it as an insult when someone offers significantly less than the asking price, even 25% less I consider an insult. I don't try to sell stuff at unreasonable prices to begin with, so that may be why I'm sensitive to lowball offers.

Quote Originally Posted by critofur View Post
    I agree.

I put an old empty Peavey 2x15 bass cab on for $80 or best offer. Some guy just offered $25. That gets an "LOL".

I had a high end road bike on there listed at $320 (which is a steal), some guy made a $200 offer, and got super angry at me when I responded back with "LOL" and didn't understand why. I understand it's an 'immature' response on my part, but it's either that or ignoring them, and I'd rather let people know that they aren't going to get anywhere making offensive offers. Thankfully I got my asking price out of it. It's just rather obnoxious.
    You can avoid a lot of those headaches by A: not getting angry enough to call random strangers "morons" for wanting to get the best deal possible, and B: learning how to write an ad.

Quote Originally Posted by critofur View Post
    I suppose so for some people, but I don't mess around on my prices. I know the least I'll take for an item right off the get go and I don't goof around trying to fish with high prices on things. Time is money and people aren't quick to get out their wallets these days, so I'm posting at most 5% over what I'll really negotiate to.

I do realize some people post incredibly high prices on things on craigslist because they can (craigslist is like a retail store anymore). I see ebay drumsets that sell for $100 NEW on ebay all day long listed for $600 on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    You can avoid a lot of those headaches by A: not getting angry enough to call random strangers "morons" for wanting to get the best deal possible, and B: learning how to write an ad.
    Hey, keep in mind I'm no amateur at this. I move a lot of stuff (buying and selling) locally, I've been selling at minimum 10 things a month through craigslist ads. I always end up with the right buyer that is willing to pay my asking price or close to it. I've definitely had some nail biting negotiations in person.

The problem are just people like this guy that offered $25 on a $80 asking price, who clearly is not going to be a serious buyer. It's not even worth my time to try and negotiate him up to $60.

You have to know where to come in with an offer, otherwise it's just going to be offensive and I frankly don't even want to sell something to such a clueless individual, I don't need money that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
    Maybe I don't understand haggling, I take it as an insult when someone offers significantly less than the asking price, even 25% less I consider an insult. I don't try to sell stuff at unreasonable prices to begin with, so that may be why I'm sensitive to lowball offers.
    Same here. I think the only people that aren't offended by low ballers are those that fish for a super high price just because they can.

Hey, keep in mind I'm no amateur at this. I move a lot of stuff (buying and selling) locally, I've been selling at minimum 10 things a month through craigslist ads. I always end up with the right buyer that is willing to pay my asking price or close to it. I've definitely had some nail biting negotiations in person.

The problem are just people like this guy that offered $25 on a $80 asking price, who clearly is not going to be a serious buyer. It's not even worth my time to try and negotiate him up to $60.

You have to know where to come in with an offer, otherwise it's just going to be offensive and I frankly don't even want to sell something to such a clueless individual, I don't need money that bad.
    Then learn to decline politely and deal with it like a mature adult. Tossing around adjectives like "moron" and "clueless" says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Then learn to decline politely and deal with it like a mature adult. Tossing around adjectives like "moron" and "clueless" says a lot more about you than it does about them.
    No, I don't think so.

mo·ron
    –noun
    a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
    Craigslist low-ballers clearly illustrate the lack of good judgment.

And you skipped over some reading bud, you missed the part where I said I would rather let these people know that they will typically not get anywhere making offensive offers. I think helping out my fellow man with a little life lesson is a mature thing to do.

This was an item he displayed interest in acquiring and he made poor judgment mistake that ruined the possibility of me even being willing to deal with him. That's something I'm sure he didn't intend for, but it happened. Ignoring him would have done nothing, at least telling him he blew it, will help in the long run. You do it too, maybe in the future we won't have to deal with low ballers, people will get it, but not if you just choose to ignore it. You see it as 'my' problem for my response, I see it as 'their' problem, making a socially awkward mistake.

/end book

Blog Entries

I haven't really had a problem but the few times I get an offer like that I just say I will consider reasonable offers.

Some people may have a different idea of value then you.

I had a quality road bike on there listed at $320 (which is a steal), some guy made a $200 offer, and got super angry at me when I responded back with "LOL" and didn't understand why. I understand that kind of response isn't really called for, but it's either that or ignoring them, and I'd rather let people know that they aren't going to get anywhere making low ball offers like that, especially when the add says how firm I am on the price. Thankfully I got my asking price out of it from a kind gentleman that knew it was a good deal. It's just rather obnoxious.
    Ohh! LOL! That will teach them. Maybe if you try to sell it with some speakers in it. Sounds like you don't really want to haggle.

No, I don't think so.

Craigslist low-ballers clearly illustrate the lack of good judgment.

And you skipped over some reading bud, you missed the part where I said I would rather let these people know that they will typically not get anywhere making offensive offers. I think helping out my fellow man with a little life lesson is a mature thing to do.

This was an item he displayed interest in acquiring and he made poor judgment mistake that ruined the possibility of me even being willing to deal with him. That's something I'm sure he didn't intend for, but it happened. Ignoring him would have done nothing, at least telling him he blew it, will help in the long run. You do it too, maybe in the future we won't have to deal with low ballers, people will get it, but not if you just choose to ignore it. You see it as 'my' problem for my response, I see it as 'their' problem, making a socially awkward mistake.

/end book
    Something like that. Maybe you will grow out of it, who knows.

I do that all the time.

Craigslist is not where you go if you want top dollar; it's where you go if you want something easy with no up-front fees. Getting $25 for that sans drivers is a pretty fair price. There's a reason I'm not selling my $3700 speakers on Craigslist - it's because while Audiogon is expensive and a major hassle, it will also make me a lot more money.

Incidentally, as for the subject of "life lessons," quite a lot of what I own was purchased on Craigslist. I don't think I paid the asking price for any of it. As a result, I'm one of the only college students in town that's still in the black - and I used what I saved to fund stereo equipment. Lowballing costs me only a few seconds of my time and, in some cases, pays out rather spectacularly well.

Blog Entries

"Sorry, no. It's worth much more than that to me. Try again."

I realize that's a bunch more keystrokes than LOL, but why not be civil? How exactly does one gauge the desperation of the seller, if not by offering a lowball price? If I really REALLY wanted to get rid of something, I (knowing its value of course) would post a pretty reasonable price, and then maybe take the first offer that comes along. Then again, I might not. But that's the beauty of craigslist, IMHO, you decide what you will take, and the market determines what you will get. If the two are the same, you have a happy deal for both parties.

Lighten Up.

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by killa View Post
    Ohh! LOL! That will teach them. Maybe if you try to sell it with some speakers in it. Sounds like you don't really want to haggle.
    You're right, I don't wanna haggle on this deal. I am actually planning on putting some speakers in it if I can't flip it empty. Trust me if I need the cash or I just want to get rid of something I'll haggle all day, there are other deals I don't want to loose money on. Although I've sold a lot of my possessions at a lost.

Quote Originally Posted by spasticteapot View Post
    I do that all the time.

Craigslist is not where you go if you want top dollar; it's where you go if you want something easy with no up-front fees. Getting $25 for that sans drivers is a pretty fair price. There's a reason I'm not selling my $3700 speakers on Craigslist - it's because while Audiogon is expensive and a major hassle, it will also make me a lot more money.

Incidentally, as for the subject of "life lessons," quite a lot of what I own was purchased on Craigslist. I don't think I paid the asking price for any of it. As a result, I'm one of the only college students in town that's still in the black - and I used what I saved to fund stereo equipment. Lowballing costs me only a few seconds of my time and, in some cases, pays out rather spectacularly well.
    Right on, and I don't typically pay asking price when I buy through craigslist, and I expect people to haggle with me as well and I leave a little room for that. Now if it's clearly a ridiculous deal, just out of respect I won't even try to haggle.. Like that peavey cab, I just bought that today as is from a guy for $30. I wouldn't have even tried to offer him $25, that is just offensive and he would have probably spit on me, as I would expect. $30 is already a wicked deal, as is most of the stuff I've sold on craigslist are deals like that when I was hard up for cash (that's when low ball offers become offensive). I will admit I take it much more personal when I need money, otherwise it doesn't matter and I wouldn't even say anything. I can understand how people on this forum couldn't sympathize with that however.

Now ironically (and hypocritically), I was fishing around with the $80 price tag on that empty cab. Still an ok deal, someone might bite. I have enough sense not to post it on the same craigslist page I bought it off of today however, that would be silly. Would have made a good laugh for some people though, saw a cab for $30...then later on that night $80. ha!

I think the "or best offer" statement is an open invitation for people to make "any kind of offer", perhaps the "best" allowed by their budget.

Maybe changing to something like, "or reasonable offer" might eliminate a lot of headaches for buyer and seller.

Just my 2 cents.
    - Dave R
    the 200% Norske

I'm always civil with my responses. You never know when the guy you call a moron may be your next paying customer. I had a guy blow me off on what I thought was a reasonable offer. Never heard back from him after he said he'd take the item and call me the next day. It hacked me off. I considered sending an email telling him that I was disappointed but I wasn't going to be nasty. In the end I let it slide and said/did nothing.

The rest of the story...he eventually contacted me about 1.5 weeks later about the item. I still had it. He purchased it for the agreed price and last night I made another sale to him for another item. If I'd flown off the handle and called him a moron I'd now be almost $3000 poorer. He's a nice guy and probably just got busy with real life. You never know the person or situation behind the email. Being flippant isn't the best approach. Just let it slide.

Coming from dealing with old cars, I expect to be lowballed on things, big time. And guess what, I will lowball others as well.

But I never responded with "LOL" as a response to an offer, I would respond with "Sorry, that is not a fair offer" or something like that.

I agree with the earlier poster that it says more about you than the lowballer.

Thread Information