When you post "or best offer" on craigslist....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killersoundz
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2010

When you post "or best offer" on craigslist....

That does not mean offer someone less than HALF their asking price. When those morons do that I just respond "LOL" and counter-offer a higher price than I originally posted in the ad.

Now I'm not even someone who puts way high prices on things on craigslist just because it's free and you can, I put really good deals on there.

I think the cutoff for making an offer is about 25% less than asking price, anymore and it's fair game for me to laugh at you.

I put an old empty Peavey 2x15 bass cab on for $80 or best offer. Some guy just offered $25. That gets an "LOL".

I had a quality road bike on there listed at $320 (which is a steal), some guy made a $200 offer, and got super angry at me when I responded back with "LOL" and didn't understand why. I understand that kind of response isn't really called for, but it's either that or ignoring them, and I'd rather let people know that they aren't going to get anywhere making low ball offers like that, especially when the add says how firm I am on the price. Thankfully I got my asking price out of it from a kind gentleman that knew it was a good deal. It's just rather obnoxious.
  • critofur
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Feb 2008

Re: When you post "or best offer" on craigslist....

I think offering half is a fairly standard point to start haggling from?
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

• kornphlake
      Midrange Member
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by killersoundz
      That does not mean offer someone less than HALF their asking price. When those morons do that I just respond "LOL" and counter-offer a higher price than I originally posted in the ad.

Now I'm not even someone who puts way high prices on things on craigslist just because it's free and you can, I put really good deals on there.

I think the cutoff for making an offer is about 25% less than asking price, anymore and it's fair game for me to laugh at you.
      I sold a van for about 1/2 bluebook, in the ad I stated my price was firm and I would not entertain offers for less than the advertised price. I still got lowballers. It's just the way craigslist is, its free so people think the stuff that is for sale should be free too.

Maybe I don't understand haggling, I take it as an insult when someone offers significantly less than the asking price, even 25% less I consider an insult. I don't try to sell stuff at unreasonable prices to begin with, so that may be why I'm sensitive to lowball offers.

Comment

• johnnyrichards
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by critofur
        I agree.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
        https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
        https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• johnnyrichards
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Oct 2005

I put an old empty Peavey 2x15 bass cab on for $80 or best offer. Some guy just offered $25. That gets an "LOL".

I had a high end road bike on there listed at $320 (which is a steal), some guy made a $200 offer, and got super angry at me when I responded back with "LOL" and didn't understand why. I understand it's an 'immature' response on my part, but it's either that or ignoring them, and I'd rather let people know that they aren't going to get anywhere making offensive offers. Thankfully I got my asking price out of it. It's just rather obnoxious.
          You can avoid a lot of those headaches by A: not getting angry enough to call random strangers "morons" for wanting to get the best deal possible, and B: learning how to write an ad.

Comment

• killersoundz
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by critofur
            I suppose so for some people, but I don't mess around on my prices. I know the least I'll take for an item right off the get go and I don't goof around trying to fish with high prices on things. Time is money and people aren't quick to get out their wallets these days, so I'm posting at most 5% over what I'll really negotiate to.

I do realize some people post incredibly high prices on things on craigslist because they can (craigslist is like a retail store anymore). I see ebay drumsets that sell for $100 NEW on ebay all day long listed for $600 on craigslist.

Comment

• killersoundz
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by johnnyrichards
              You can avoid a lot of those headaches by A: not getting angry enough to call random strangers "morons" for wanting to get the best deal possible, and B: learning how to write an ad.
              Hey, keep in mind I'm no amateur at this. I move a lot of stuff (buying and selling) locally, I've been selling at minimum 10 things a month through craigslist ads. I always end up with the right buyer that is willing to pay my asking price or close to it. I've definitely had some nail biting negotiations in person.

The problem are just people like this guy that offered $25 on a $80 asking price, who clearly is not going to be a serious buyer. It's not even worth my time to try and negotiate him up to $60.

You have to know where to come in with an offer, otherwise it's just going to be offensive and I frankly don't even want to sell something to such a clueless individual, I don't need money that bad.

Comment

• killersoundz
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kornphlake
                Maybe I don't understand haggling, I take it as an insult when someone offers significantly less than the asking price, even 25% less I consider an insult. I don't try to sell stuff at unreasonable prices to begin with, so that may be why I'm sensitive to lowball offers.
                Same here. I think the only people that aren't offended by low ballers are those that fish for a super high price just because they can.

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Oct 2005

Hey, keep in mind I'm no amateur at this. I move a lot of stuff (buying and selling) locally, I've been selling at minimum 10 things a month through craigslist ads. I always end up with the right buyer that is willing to pay my asking price or close to it. I've definitely had some nail biting negotiations in person.

The problem are just people like this guy that offered $25 on a $80 asking price, who clearly is not going to be a serious buyer. It's not even worth my time to try and negotiate him up to $60.

You have to know where to come in with an offer, otherwise it's just going to be offensive and I frankly don't even want to sell something to such a clueless individual, I don't need money that bad.
                  Then learn to decline politely and deal with it like a mature adult. Tossing around adjectives like "moron" and "clueless" says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Comment

• killersoundz
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by johnnyrichards
                    Then learn to decline politely and deal with it like a mature adult. Tossing around adjectives like "moron" and "clueless" says a lot more about you than it does about them.
                    No, I don't think so.

mo·ron
                    –noun
                    a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
                    Craigslist low-ballers clearly illustrate the lack of good judgment.

And you skipped over some reading bud, you missed the part where I said I would rather let these people know that they will typically not get anywhere making offensive offers. I think helping out my fellow man with a little life lesson is a mature thing to do.

This was an item he displayed interest in acquiring and he made poor judgment mistake that ruined the possibility of me even being willing to deal with him. That's something I'm sure he didn't intend for, but it happened. Ignoring him would have done nothing, at least telling him he blew it, will help in the long run. You do it too, maybe in the future we won't have to deal with low ballers, people will get it, but not if you just choose to ignore it. You see it as 'my' problem for my response, I see it as 'their' problem, making a socially awkward mistake.

/end book

Comment

• ocool_15
                      Midrange Member
                      • Aug 2007

I haven't really had a problem but the few times I get an offer like that I just say I will consider reasonable offers.

Some people may have a different idea of value then you.

Comment

• killa
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2006

I had a quality road bike on there listed at $320 (which is a steal), some guy made a $200 offer, and got super angry at me when I responded back with "LOL" and didn't understand why. I understand that kind of response isn't really called for, but it's either that or ignoring them, and I'd rather let people know that they aren't going to get anywhere making low ball offers like that, especially when the add says how firm I am on the price. Thankfully I got my asking price out of it from a kind gentleman that knew it was a good deal. It's just rather obnoxious.
                        Ohh! LOL! That will teach them. Maybe if you try to sell it with some speakers in it. Sounds like you don't really want to haggle.

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                          Obsessed & Proud of It
                          • Oct 2005

No, I don't think so.

Craigslist low-ballers clearly illustrate the lack of good judgment.

And you skipped over some reading bud, you missed the part where I said I would rather let these people know that they will typically not get anywhere making offensive offers. I think helping out my fellow man with a little life lesson is a mature thing to do.

This was an item he displayed interest in acquiring and he made poor judgment mistake that ruined the possibility of me even being willing to deal with him. That's something I'm sure he didn't intend for, but it happened. Ignoring him would have done nothing, at least telling him he blew it, will help in the long run. You do it too, maybe in the future we won't have to deal with low ballers, people will get it, but not if you just choose to ignore it. You see it as 'my' problem for my response, I see it as 'their' problem, making a socially awkward mistake.

/end book
                          Something like that. Maybe you will grow out of it, who knows.

Comment

• spasticteapot
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jan 2007

I do that all the time.

Craigslist is not where you go if you want top dollar; it's where you go if you want something easy with no up-front fees. Getting $25 for that sans drivers is a pretty fair price. There's a reason I'm not selling my $3700 speakers on Craigslist - it's because while Audiogon is expensive and a major hassle, it will also make me a lot more money.

Incidentally, as for the subject of "life lessons," quite a lot of what I own was purchased on Craigslist. I don't think I paid the asking price for any of it. As a result, I'm one of the only college students in town that's still in the black - and I used what I saved to fund stereo equipment. Lowballing costs me only a few seconds of my time and, in some cases, pays out rather spectacularly well.

Comment

• Mark65
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Jul 2007

"Sorry, no. It's worth much more than that to me. Try again."

I realize that's a bunch more keystrokes than LOL, but why not be civil? How exactly does one gauge the desperation of the seller, if not by offering a lowball price? If I really REALLY wanted to get rid of something, I (knowing its value of course) would post a pretty reasonable price, and then maybe take the first offer that comes along. Then again, I might not. But that's the beauty of craigslist, IMHO, you decide what you will take, and the market determines what you will get. If the two are the same, you have a happy deal for both parties.

Lighten Up.

Mark
                              You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...