$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Thread: Mirage 360's

Default Mirage 360's

Wounder why these old Mirage 360 speakers sound so good?
    Even compared to some of the speakers I have built. Not complaining, just wounder why ?
    cuggie
    "What's Time To A Pig?"

Default Re: Mirage 360's

They're nice... many yrs ago, I bought my father a pair of Mirage 3way floorstanders, and they were really nice (minus the cheap tweeters).

Cuggie,

I not certain on that specific Mirage model but most of the early Mirage speakers were configured as bipolars--an array of drivers on the front and a duplicate array on the rear of the enclosure fed in phase front and back. Essentially, what results is in essence an in-room omnidirectional polar sound pattern. Many of the more recent Mirage speakers are configured as omni-directionals but do so with reflectors and such so that only one set of drivers are necessary.

I've built some bipolar speakers with full range drivers and they achieve several sufficent advantages versus just equivalent monopolar speakers. You can walk around the room and have essentially the same radiation pattern in front of and behind the speakers. You automatically negate the baffle step issue as you have identical radiation into front and rear spaces below the baffle step frequency. The principal disadvantage is that bipoles require at least 3-4 feet distance from the rear of the speakers to the wall behind them to keep from smearing the direct and reflected sound at the listening position.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Griffin; 11-16-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: correction

Are these the ones??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEWCRAIGSLISTSTUFF017.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	12194  

Yes, that photo looks like the Mirage M-360 model photos that I found with an internet search. They are just ordinary two way monopolar speakers. Thus the M-360 are conventional monopolars instead of the slick Mirage omnipolar models--either the bipolars or the recent reflector versions. I don't see any magic in the M-360 model vs. the more upscale Mirage designs. If you like them fine but they certainly don't stand out as different in todays world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Griffin View Post
    Yes, that photo looks like the Mirage M-360 model photos that I found with an internet search. They are just ordinary two way monopolar speakers. Thus the M-360 are conventional monopolars instead of the slick Mirage omnipolar models--either the bipolars or the recent reflector versions. I don't see any magic in the M-360 model vs. the more upscale Mirage designs. If you like them fine but they certainly don't stand out as different in todays world.
    Not as far as driver topology, of course, but there ten thousand 2-way speakers out there and many of them evoke feelings of wonder.

Perhaps they did something very right with this model - it is entirely possible to do so with nothing more than a dome-over-a-mid.

Yep, you got it right that is them. Maybe my ears are easy to please. Just glad they sound good to me.
    Thank You for the Feed back
    cuggie
    "What's Time To A Pig?"

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image...8595&is_user=0

These are the ones I bought (different/better tweeters pictured) for my father... these with some serious age on 'em!!

Thread Information