$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seismic Audio - Any thoughts RE: their PA speakers? see link

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/.../lava%2015.htm

For 400 shipped during their sale...very tempting.

I know their website has some very cheap items, so no need to bash the company.

Maybe I should just look for used QSC, JBL and Peavey gear.

I was looking for some Peavy SP2 or SP3 speakers...but at 500/600 a piece....that's a LOT more money.

I was thinking of getting the Seismic's just for the Cabinets, and then upgrading them as needed.

Default Re: Seismic Audio - Any thoughts RE: their PA speakers? see link

No good man. Their stuff is as bad as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    I was thinking of getting the Seismic's just for the Cabinets, and then upgrading them as needed.
    They're cheap particle board. Avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    They're cheap particle board. Avoid.
    So are Yamaha's, and twelve other brand names I can name, ha!. I actually don't have much of a problem with particle board, it's just the construction quality. That company could use baltic birch and they would still be rubbish cabinets by the way they are constructed. A particle board cabinet is essentially as strong as anything else if it's constructed right. Just can't take as much abuse, and turns to mush when it gets wet. But like I said, the panel material is the least of the issues...

Did anyone look at the link?

It says 9 ply plywood...not horrible...not the best.

I have seen the lower end cabinents...yes..particle board and inadequate bracing.

However the link shows the "premium" cabinent.

I contacted seismic for some more info.

I do like the look of the front metal grill...with grill cloth underneath...and the painted finish...instead of the carpet. My 2 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLsI...eature=related

RTA of the Seismic 15's.

Obviously there are in-room artifacts at issue, but this sound guy likes the sound....at least compared to his old piezo's.

My guess is that the 3khz crossover is there to protect the small compression driver, and perhaps the natural rise of the 15" is not accomodated for...hence the midrange boost....not sure though.

It says 9 ply plywood...not horrible...not the best.

Like I said, it doesn't matter what material they use, it will not be constructed well. But it sounds like you answered your own question and you're set on buying them, so go ahead.

this sound guy likes the sound....at least compared to his old piezo's.
    That's saying a lot. lol

This picture right here says everything I need to know about the quality.

Good Lord -

-Absolute rubbish inconsistent finish
    -Bottom Half of the jack plate appears to be recessed while the top half isn't
    -The jack plate is all bent around the screws
    -To the left of the jack plate above the middle screw looks to be some raw plywood showing.

Enough lack of attention to detail to turn me away. I build pro cabinets and I know enough to see this and can only imagine how they slap the rest of it together over in china...

And this is the manufactures image!! They picked the best one to photograph.

Obviously there are in-room artifacts at issue.
    This video is a perfect example why you CANNOT test a loudspeaker in a room, period!. That 3khz response rise is tied to room interactions, and we know that because 6db cuts on the EQ did nothing to correct it.

My guess is that the 3khz crossover is there to protect the small compression driver, and perhaps the natural rise of the 15" is not accomodated for.
    Yes the 3k crossover is there to protect the puny little CD, and running a prosound 15 to 3kz will usually produce quite a midrange response rise... on axis, but there will be nothing from 15deg off axis and beyond. THIS is why 15's should never be crossed higher than 800hz and THIS is why the 15+1 PA speaker system is such a compromised design. If you want to put lots of SPL right in front of the speakers they're fine but if you want wide coverage it's just about the worst speaker config you can buy.. everything else out there does a better job.
    I have no comment on these speakers directly except that if you plan on buying budget speakers and subs will be used then get 12+1 or 10+1 versions instead.
    Paul O

Quote Originally Posted by paul O View Post
    yes The 3k Crossover Is There To Protect The Puny Little Cd, And Running A Prosound 15 To 3kz Will Usually Produce Quite A Midrange Response Rise... On Axis, But There Will Be Nothing From 15deg Off Axis And Beyond. This Is Why 15's Should Never Be Crossed Higher Than 800hz And This Is Why The 15+1 Pa Speaker System Is Such A Compromised Design.
    +1000000000000000000 I couldn't agree more.

However the link shows the "premium" cabinent.

For the price of their 'premium' cabs you can get a good speaker from Yahama, Peavey, etc. A 3kHz crossover with a fifteen? Really...

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction......

I'm NOT going to buy a pair.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction......

I'm NOT going to buy a pair.
    Not having heard a set I can't really give an opinion but it would be hard to do a DIY box for less than what a Seismic charges.

Probably a better value than the Pyle/Custom stuff and the 100's of plastic tubs masquerading as speakers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jont View Post
    Not having heard a set I can't really give an opinion but it would be hard to do a DIY box for less than what a Seismic charges.
    Not really, about $150 for a decent eminence woofer and compression driver per speaker....plus a sheet of chinese plywood if that's what you want to use, or MDF. Couple crossover components.....

Quote Originally Posted by jont View Post
    One does not DIY to build the cheapest cab possible. One does DIY to build high end cabs that one otherwise couldn't afford. If you want a cheap cab buy used.

Quote Originally Posted by killersoundz View Post
    This picture right here says everything I need to know about the quality.

Good Lord -

-Absolute rubbish inconsistent finish
    -Bottom Half of the jack plate appears to be recessed while the top half isn't
    -The jack plate is all bent around the screws
    -To the left of the jack plate above the middle screw looks to be some raw plywood showing.

Enough lack of attention to detail to turn me away. I build pro cabinets and I know enough to see this and can only imagine how they slap the rest of it together over in china...

And this is the manufactures image!! They picked the best one to photograph.
    Nice. either the label is on crooked, or the template for cutting the socket holes is crooked.

He77, just the label's use of the word "professional" sticks it in the pyle/pyramid ballpark...

Quote Originally Posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    One does not DIY to build the cheapest cab possible. .
    Dumpster divers and frugal speakerbuilders/tweakers always limited by budget in their quest for more spl's.

DIY is sometimes the cheapest way to achieve this objective when you can spare the time and energy to build/repair/modify projects but I agree that used or new is more often a better deal.

The old general rule that you "buy tops" and build subs was coined because of the extra time and materials needed to design a good PA cabinet. But in some markets buying used is not a option so finding the lowest common denomonator, "the cheapest tool that will get the job done" is what we do.

JBL, Behringer, Yamaha, Peavey and Seismic all put out product that would cost the DIY'er more in materials to replicate than they cost on the open market. Other forums out there debate the merits of those products and Seismic has not fared any worse than the others for that price point AFAIK.

As always the best advice to invest in something good but good is a relative term. To a novice DJ or band Seismic Audio may be a good value if they were using a home stereo "rock out" to before.
    I have seen many clubs and theaters that use even poorer quality speakers and know PE has some clunker brands that make speaker shaped objects that would not cut the mustard for real audio work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul O View Post
    This video is a perfect example why you CANNOT test a loudspeaker in a room, period!. That 3khz response rise is tied to room interactions, and we know that because 6db cuts on the EQ did nothing to correct it.
    I would tend to think the exact opposite. What good does it do to test a speaker in an environment that it wont be used in? It would seem that the best place to test a speaker is in the room and position that it will be used. Of course there will be room interactions, but do those go away if you test in a chamber? You still have to bring the speakers back in to the room eventually. I understand that optimal results would only come from an acoustically controlled environment, but that becomes irrelevant if they don't perform in their destination environment.

In the end, it's only the final in room results that matter, all else is merely fodder for a sales brochure or website.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    What good does it do to test a speaker in an environment that it wont be used in?
    So that all may be equally compared.

PSW did a 'subwoofer shoot-out' a few years ago, with months of great hoopla leading up to a totally anti-climactic event. They tested a dozen odd subs in a warehouse. All they ended up measuring was the response of the room.

Measuring in-room to compare which speakers work best in that room only makes sense if you never intend to use them anywhere but in that room.

Thread Information