Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fastrid
    • Dec 2010

Isobaric with passive radiators

Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been an audiophile since i was little. I love speakers and more importantly the quality of the sound that they make. I've always wanted to build a home sub woofer. I came up with the idea of having an isobaric enclosure with two radiators. My original idea was having the two face back to front but i've been researching and apparently the best setup is face to face. So with this information maybe the box would be best with 3 or 4 passive radiators depending on design?

I was curious what other think of my idea. I also lack a speaker design program and was wondering if anyone wanted to design one? I had in mind the system having 10" subs if someone would be interested in designing :D

Anyway, I look forward to everyone's comments.
  • greywarden
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2010

Re: Isobaric with passive radiators

If you excel on your computer, you can use unibox, which is one of the most comprehesive Free deisgn programs. Just plug in the parameters for your subwoofer and start playing with numbers.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

• Taterworks
      • May 2008

The only conceivable value in having passive radiators in an isobaric configuration (with two passive radiators each working on the same Vd) is to hang more mass than the suspension of one passive radiator can support. If this is the case, you're probably working with a design that will have a very, very low efficiency.

However, if your intention is to use isobaric drivers to drive a conventional passive radiator enclosure, that could work well, and the goal of isobaric drivers meshes will with the goal of passive radiators (in most cases), which is to achieve a lower tuning from a smaller box. Make sure to provide each subwoofer with enough clearance above its surround that when it is fully extended, it will not come in contact with any part of the other woofer.

Best of luck.
      Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

• gregbibegreg
        • Mar 2012

I was thinking about making a bookshelf speaker with small isobaric 6 and a half inch woofers in isobaric config and use a compression driver horn for the mids and highs and use an 8 inch passive radiator for further bass enhancement.
        I have used isobaric in the past successfully. I had a large powerful DJ system with isobaric 15"s and isobaric 10"s on each side and compression driver horns for highs. Did active cross over3 way lows up to about 300 htz. mids 300 to 5k highs 5k up the lows were 2x 15"s on each side facing each other and 180 degrees out of phase The mids were two 10"s facing each other and out of phase for the isobaric. Lower cab or base cab on the left had 2x 15s and a horn and then the mid and high cab above had 2x 10s and a horn. 3 power amps drove all of the spkrs and horns. Most powerful power amp drove 4x 15's medium power amp drove 4 x 10's least power amp drove 4 horns.
        Was an extremely good sounding DJ system

Comment

• Taterworks
          • May 2008

Psst...your midbass drivers will sound even better if you run them conventionally. Isobaric configuration is only useful for very low frequency systems in compact enclosures. If you aren't under an extreme size constraint, it's far cheaper to use a conventional configuration.

Running midbass and midrange drivers in isobaric configuration brings up a whole other set of variables, and you aren't gaining anything sonically at all by using those drivers that way. In fact, you're probably hearing mostly incoherent mud.
          Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

• gregbibegreg
            • Mar 2012

About the mid 10's in the isobaric config. Each 10" driver had its own 12 gauge speaker wire for optimum dampening or control of the driver from the power amp. The isobaric config of the 10's in the cab would lower the resonant frequency of the cabinet but it did not sound test out to be a problem. The isobaric config of the 10's should greatly reduce if not completely rid of any inter-modulation distortion. Yes the isobaric config did have a tendency to reduce the decibel output but the active crossover had level controls for lows mids and highs so that could be optimally balanced.
            The system sounded crystal clear right up to the point of blowing out your ear drums.

Comment

• gregbibegreg
              • Mar 2012

Attached jpeg image of isobaric 15" cab with isobaric 10" cab above
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...