$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default DECWARE Subwoofer Enclosures

Has anyone built or heard any of the DECWARE designs? I've seen the Home Wrecker mentioned here in the past and more recently the W032 designs.

Thanks,

Default Re: DECWARE Subwoofer Enclosures

I tried a couple back when I was young and stupid (wasn't actually that long ago). I tried a Wicked One with unsuitable 8 inch drivers and it wasn't great due to the incompatible drivers but it worked well enough to inspire my buddy to build a half Wicked One with a suitable driver which was much better.

Then I made an Imperial but I made the original 1956 Jensen Imperial, not the Decware Imperial (although aside from adding a bit more bracing there's not much difference). I used unsuitable drivers for this one as well but it was still pretty impressive.

Both me and my buddy made Deathboxes with 10 inch drivers but we didn't have plans. It's not hard to tell what's inside though.

My buddy made the downward firing sealed car enclosure as well, also without plans. You don't really need plans for this one, it's just a downward firing sealed box.

All of this happened 6 or 7 years ago in about a 1 year period. The half Wicked One and the Imperial are both documented on my website (link below) in the projects section. We didn't review the other 2 because we didn't want to imply that our results mattered since we didn't have plans.

Back then I didn't know how to model these enclosures but since I've learned how I would never build any of these designs again. There's nothing really special about any of them but there's also nothing particularly wrong with any of them as long as you use the correct driver. Unfortunately there's no way to know what the correct driver is until you model it. But once you know how to model enclosures there's not much point in buying plans anymore.

I don't recommend any of them unless you model them first. What else do you want to know?
    Don't even try
    to sort out the lies
    it's worse to try to understand.

I was just looking for impressions, bang for the buck, etc. I am tired of rectangles & tubes & was looking for other options.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Henry View Post
    I was just looking for impressions, bang for the buck, etc. I am tired of rectangles & tubes & was looking for other options.
    http://billfitzmaurice.com/autotuba.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Henry View Post
    All the Decware subs are rectangles, aren't they?

Anyway, I strongly recommend Hornresp. Then you can design whatever you like with any driver you choose.

Impressions and my opinion of bang for the buck are almost completely meaningless unless you use exactly the same drivers I did, but there's some info on my website.
    Don't even try
    to sort out the lies
    it's worse to try to understand.

[QUOTE=diy speaker guy;1699622]All the Decware subs are rectangles, aren't they?

Not on the inside

I have learned a lot from the contributors to this forum & do value the impressions and opinions offered. Thanks for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by diy speaker guy View Post
    Back then I didn't know how to model these enclosures but since I've learned how I would never build any of these designs again. There's nothing really special about any of them but there's also nothing particularly wrong with any of them as long as you use the correct driver.
    From the pictures, the "Wicked One" looks to me like a bandpass alignment with an expanding vent, not a horn. One advantage of this type of alignment (according to my modelling results) is an expanded bandwidth for the same efficiency, the tradeoff being a larger enclosure, but it has to be done right. They can be modelled in HornResp.

Thread Information