$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Building a small bass guitar cabinet

I was thinking about building a small bass cab using multiple small drivers, maybe the Peerless 6 1/2" PPB cone HDS woofer. I like the idea that it can run down to 20Hz, but at the same time I'd like to use a sealed cab to keep things controlled. I was thinking about using 8 of them in a single airspace. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Default Re: Building a small bass guitar cabinet

Hi-fi woofers don't work well in pro applications, and there's no reason for an electric bass cab to go lower than a 35Hz f3 with drop tuning, with a 50Hz f3 being quite adequate for 4 string.

How is it that hi-fi woofers wouldn't work well here? Just trying to understand. Since we seem to be on the topic of cross-usage, how would a car audio subwoofer work out as a sub in a bass guitar or PA application? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirk View Post
    How is it that hi-fi woofers wouldn't work well here? Just trying to understand. Since we seem to be on the topic of cross-usage, how would a car audio subwoofer work out as a sub in a bass guitar or PA application? Thanks.
    For instrument and pro audio use the speakers are typically high efficiency with a bit of presence (response speaking). They have accordion style paper surrounds while home audio and car audio woofers have rubber surrounds. Home audio and car audio speakers are low efficiency which means you will need 3 or 4 times the power to get them up to the output levels that an efficient pro sound woofer will do. Don't try to reinvent the wheel here, just get some eminence drivers made for bass guitar.

How is it that hi-fi woofers wouldn't work well here?...
    Drivers are designed with performance goals that involve compromise in other aspects.
    As noted MI and PA speakers goals are efficiency and power handling over Low Frequency Extension.
    Last edited by Sydney; 01-18-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: sp

How is it that hi-fi woofers wouldn't work well here?
    Sensitivity, durability, frequency response. In all those respects hi-fi and pro-sound drivers are as apples to oranges.
    how would a car audio subwoofer work out as a sub in a bass guitar or PA application?
    Very poorly. They're designed to work in a less than 100 cubic foot car, not a 10,000+ cubic foot club.

If you want 20Hz at high output there are very few pro woofers that will deliver that with high SPL, but on the other side, the car and home drivers that will deliver that may not be efficient enough to suit your needs for the mass limited frequencies. You're essentially asking for a very expensive driver.

20hz?

...When mixing in the studio, it's pretty common to high pass bass guitar at ~45hz if not higher on some mixes. It varies with the guitar, with active basses I usually have to cut a bit of bass out. Even more ironic is that even with 5 string basses which the B note is 30hz, that fundamental is hard to reproduce faithfully and it's high passed out of most mixes anyway. You never hear booming 30hz bass guitar on a mix, although I agree that it would be nice for it to come through the amp well live.

I think you're missing the point though. The fundamental E on a 4 string bass is 41hz, D is 36hz....not the point, but the midrange reproduction and presence is what really matters to cut through and be heard, something a home audio woofer won't do. Besides, miking up a bass cab is basically next to obsolete anymore, direct through a nice preamp with good EQ or a sansamp is always better. IMO There are very few bass cabs worthy of even trying to mic up, and they are only useful for band rehearsal and a bass monitor on stage.

I was thinking about building a small bass cab using multiple small drivers, maybe the Peerless 6 1/2" PPB cone HDS woofer. I like the idea that it can run down to 20Hz, but at the same time I'd like to use a sealed cab to keep things controlled. I was thinking about using 8 of them in a single airspace. Any thoughts, suggestions?
    I disagree with the consensus regarding hifi vs. instrument speakers, if and only if you use sufficient drivers to reproduce the power and ther fundamentals plus some full range if not tweeters to give you the transients usually only to be had from instrument drivers.

As for closed, I was leaning that way myself for an extension cab I'm building for my Fender Frontman 65R. It's an open box, and I found literature that says open boxes are only a "problem" perpendicular to the axis, because that's where destructive interference cancels out signal. But then that's where you the musician are and anything that keeps the volume reasonable for you can't be all bad. You might want a decent monitor in front of you too, but if it's not necessary with the main cab, no reason to expect an extension cab to need it more.

My extension has a Sony 8" 75 ohm woofer, six Sony 5" 5.5 ohm mini-woofers and two Vifa 3.5" 16 ohm full range drivers and a Goldman 3" 75 W piezo tweeter for the transients. The amp pushes 65 W into the on board 8 ohm, and I reckon is hitting about 100 into the 5.3 load with all the drivers going. The output is very clean and has every bit the transients I got used to from the main cab.

They're correct about the frequencies of the notes not going down to 20 Hz. But I know there's more to it than the notes. The percussives of a thumb slap for instances. To get that low while still handling the transients does sound iffy. But to me, iffy is a reason to try it and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by drmcclainphd View Post
    My extension has a Sony 8" 75 ohm woofer,
    really?

Thread Information