$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Thread: why so loud?

Default why so loud?

So i got my dacmagic in tonight and hooked it up to my pc feeding my classdaudio sds-254 and with my windows volume on 1 and the pots on my amp just barely cracked it is really loud.

Default Re: why so loud?

Quote Originally Posted by toolfan89 View Post
    So i got my dacmagic in tonight and hooked it up to my pc feeding my classdaudio sds-254 and with my windows volume on 1 and the pots on my amp just barely cracked it is really loud.
    Are you running Windows 7? I've heard a lot of problems similar to this with Win 7.

yeah ive got 7. but now i cant get any audio. i was listening went out of the room for 5 min came back to start a song and no audio. disabled all other audio devices and it played one song but when i went to change it stopped again.

Ok i got it to work again after clicking random things but now the my main problem is i can only turn sampling rate on the device settings up to 16 bit/48 khz

A lot depends on your sound card. Also if you're running the standard drivers through USB that's all you'll get. You should be running ASIO for the output.
    http://www.asio4all.com/

Running ASIOALL should fix most problems and let you get what ever rate your soundcard/dac will manage, even across USB.

Things to try: Right click on the speaker icon in the tray and select playback devices. Choose your dacmagic and right click , select properties. Click the advanced tab and select the rate there (still limited if USB). If SPDIF, you have more choices.

Your Windows volume should be set to 100. If you're too loud as described, I suspect you have a gain issue at the SDS254 or you have some settings in the Dacmagic (not familiar w/ this one) that you can tweak. I'm running Win 7/64 w/ a USB DAC into an integrated amp and have no volume issues running as above.

This IS NOT a Win 7 issue. When you're in the properties as above, make sure you don't allow apps to take exclusive control of the device. Plenty of inof on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by toolfan89 View Post
    yeah ive got 7. but now i cant get any audio. i was listening went out of the room for 5 min came back to start a song and no audio. disabled all other audio devices and it played one song but when i went to change it stopped again.

Ok i got it to work again after clicking random things but now the my main problem is i can only turn sampling rate on the device settings up to 16 bit/48 khz

Now I have some good ole distortion coming from the right channel.

Blog Entries

What's the motherboard you're using?

Click once on the speaker icon in the tray, then at the top, click the speaker icon. That'll take you into a control panel. The advanced tab takes you to the default bit rates, etc. Levels tab takes you to the system volume control.

my mobo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130223

i can deal with the bit rate for now but what could be a reason for distortion coming from one channel. id really like to try a few things to fix it before people start saying i have a bad unit.

Im really starting to hate this thing. i have no master volume control anymore and the volume wheel on my keyboard doesnt work with it so any video i watch online i have to quickly turn its volume all the way down or else i wake up the whole house like i did a few minutes ago.

I've had similar issues before with Windows 7, a Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card, and an external DAC (it's for a gaming headset but it also has 3.5mm outputs for a regular 5.1 setup).

What I had to do do even get the thing to play was interesting. Under the Windows 7 "Playback devices" I had to put the analog device (generically called "Speakers") as the Default playing device. However, it still passes a 5.1 mix via SPDIF to my external DAC encoded in Dolby Digital Live. To this day I cannot use my computer to change the volume, I just have to use the controls on the headset cable (or if I'm using my desktop speakers I use the volume control on my Class D amp module).

I suppose it is erroneously assumed that one wouldn't want to be able to control the volume from the PC if they're using the digital output since most people are probably just using their computers as an HTPC and the signal's simply being passed to a home theater receiver.

If you're using USB however, you can ignore my entire reply.

I know this is no help but I thought I would share, I use one of these
    http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...x?ProductId=43
    Makes a great external sound card, A/D and D/A conversion, master vol and separate headphone vol, plenty of input/output options, I love it.

I wonder if it's a driver issue, or a bug with windows 7? The windows sound mixer program was always kinda lame IMO. Come to think of it, I've had quite a few issues with USB devices on win 7, my camera and my printer both refuse to work, but they work fine with vista. Of course vista has it's own issues, I won't get into that though...

thank jesus i finally have it working right. the distortion is gone dont know how but im not gonna go messing with stuff to make it start back up. I also bought a toslink off PE and and could not get it to work and after a few hours i figured out that i had the device settings under windows set above 24/96 and it wouldnt play. but everything is good now, i have a master volume control and can use my volume wheel on my keyboard. plus its not as loud anymore.

Thread Information