$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Thread: magnepan mmg

Default magnepan mmg

Hi guys, until today, I was fully ready to build a speaker but after today, I think its a no brainer...I'm buying the smallest of the Magnepan MMG series.

I have never EVER in my life EVER heard such transparent and detailed sound with such enormous soundstage. I also had a chance to hear the Wilson Audio Sasha (I guess its an evolved version of the Watt/puppy). While the Wilson had much more overall output and bass, IMO it did not match the midrange and highs of the Magnepan and did not have the same airiness and effortlness nature of the sound.

The Wilsons were powered by 1200W Mcintosh monoblocks where as the Magnepans were powered by a Mcintosh integrated amp.

My search is complete. Picking up a pair next week and using the subwoofer to cover the last octave or two that it may not be covering. It sounded like it was able to go down to about 50Hz or so but no lower.

Default Re: magnepan mmg

If you can get past their limited SPL and low end, they are a very nice speaker. I had a pair for a year or so.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Invest in a sub...Maggies have notoriously weak low end. I've yet to hear one that has a decent lower octave.

Thumbs up Re: Magnepan MMG

If you like the way they sound in stock form, a fully modded pair will put you into another realm.
    Now, time for reality. For Maggies to sound their best, they have to be properly positioned and set up in a room with enough space to let them shine.

While some here may be all about your decision to buy a ready made speaker, Maggies can still let you get your DIY on. A great speaker for the price, but plenty of room for improvement.

A few interesting things about MMG's:
    Magnepan uses low quality crossover components. Even MMG's are revealing enough to let you hear an improvement from an upgrade here.

Magnepan "dumbed-down" the crossover on the later MMG's to lower it's performance relative to the MG12. Put a MG12 spec x-o (with upgraded parts) on a MMG, add a sub and you'll easily outperform a MG12, for less money.

The stock "feet" leave alot to be desired. It's very easy to make your own rigid stands and even just that will improve the sound.

If you really want to get serious, there is a mod that uses just the driver panel and replaces everything else

Cool Re: Magnepan MMG

Quote Originally Posted by contoursvt View Post
    Picking up a pair next week and using the subwoofer to cover the last octave or two that it may not be covering. It sounded like it was able to go down to about 50Hz or so but no lower.
    Yeah, MMG's aren't going to do much below 50hz. However, down to 50hz, that may be some most detailed bass you've heard. BTW, what will you be driving them with? While you don't necessarily need high power, Maggies can handle just about all the power you can throw at 'em and just keep sounding better

I've always wanted to hear a pair of those.

Properly set-up, it's one of those listen to your music collection all over kinda things.

I love the MMG's I bought in ~2000. I have read complaints about limited SPL, but this has not been an issue for me in a 10" x 14" room when driven with an Adcom GFA555. I supplement low end with a Paradigm PDR 12 sub (not the best, but functional for now).

I listen to a wide range of music [primarily metal (Black Sabbath, Metallica and Iron Maiden), jazz (Coltrane, Bird, and Davis) and blues (Koko Taylor, Terry Evans, and Jimmy D. Lane)] and they are up to the task. Sometimes the realism from the speakers is scary - especially considering the cost less than $600/pair.

Post Re: magnepan mmg

My first cat would actually sit on the sofa next to me, facing the speakers with her ears "forward" and listen to music with me!

Default Re: Magnepan MMG

I've got a Vintage Threshold SA3. Its a 50WPC class A amp. The guy at the shop said it will be more than fine. I hope it will be

Quote Originally Posted by natediggidy View Post
    Yeah, MMG's aren't going to do much below 50hz. However, down to 50hz, that may be some most detailed bass you've heard. BTW, what will you be driving them with? While you don't necessarily need high power, Maggies can handle just about all the power you can throw at 'em and just keep sounding better

My room is quite Small, 10x12 so I'm scared that it might end up too close to the walls but I loved what i heard so much that I want to try it. Price is great too.

I have a pair of DIY subwoofers that I put together using Vifa 10" M26WR09 drivers, run via an external amp and external 24db/oct crossover at 50Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    I love the MMG's I bought in ~2000. I have read complaints about limited SPL, but this has not been an issue for me in a 10" x 14" room when driven with an Adcom GFA555. I supplement low end with a Paradigm PDR 12 sub (not the best, but functional for now).

I listen to a wide range of music [primarily metal (Black Sabbath, Metallica and Iron Maiden), jazz (Coltrane, Bird, and Davis) and blues (Koko Taylor, Terry Evans, and Jimmy D. Lane)] and they are up to the task. Sometimes the realism from the speakers is scary - especially considering the cost less than $600/pair.

When I get them, I will definitely have to find out about all the mods to improve the sound even more. I might wait a bit before doing so of course

Quote Originally Posted by natediggidy View Post
    If you like the way they sound in stock form, a fully modded pair will put you into another realm.
    Now, time for reality. For Maggies to sound their best, they have to be properly positioned and set up in a room with enough space to let them shine.

While some here may be all about your decision to buy a ready made speaker, Maggies can still let you get your DIY on. A great speaker for the price, but plenty of room for improvement.

A few interesting things about MMG's:
    Magnepan uses low quality crossover components. Even MMG's are revealing enough to let you hear an improvement from an upgrade here.

Magnepan "dumbed-down" the crossover on the later MMG's to lower it's performance relative to the MG12. Put a MG12 spec x-o (with upgraded parts) on a MMG, add a sub and you'll easily outperform a MG12, for less money.

The stock "feet" leave alot to be desired. It's very easy to make your own rigid stands and even just that will improve the sound.

If you really want to get serious, there is a mod that uses just the driver panel and replaces everything else

If I remember correctly the MMG used the thinner Mylar (.0005 mil instead of .001 mil)(could have been .000005 instead of .00001) .

The 50 hz response is room dependent . 80 to 100 hz is the number to shoot for . Mate it with a very good subwoofer .

Don't expect rock concert levels , for everything else nirvana .

So what happened to the maggi xovers , they used to use large mylar caps and in house wound inductors .

Post Re: magnepan mmg

My room is quite Small, 10x12 so I'm scared that it might end up too close to the walls but I loved what i heard so much that I want to try it. Price is great too.
    In small rooms, room treatment is very important with Maggies. In my 12x12 room, I had diffusion on the wall behind the speakers DIY absorber panels on the sidewalls at the first reflection points and an absorber panel on the wall (at head height) behind the sofa. Huge improvement. These simple steps made more of an improvement than anything else I did to the speakers and the system.

Quote Originally Posted by diru View Post
    So what happened to the maggi xovers , they used to use large mylar caps and in house wound inductors .
    The first gen MMG x-o's had a second order network on the woofers and a lower crossover point for the tweeter. These early models sounded more like the "next-step-up" MG12's than the later ones do. They "de-tuned" the second gen MMG's so they wouldn't loose sales to the more expensive MG12.
    Before I "Gunned" my MMG's, I found out that other MMG owners put the MG12 spec x-o on their MMG's. I did the same (Erse/Jantzen/Dayton, thanks P.E.) and it was a definate upgrade.

I've got a Vintage Threshold SA3. Its a 50WPC class A amp. The guy at the shop said it will be more than fine. I hope it will be
    I would recommend a open baffle subwoofer to go with them. They are a very good match.

Also, but not for the faint of heart. The fuse panels are fused. Get some adhesive copper foil tape and wrap the fuse... but don't try to rock the world. Sucks to replace a panel. The bypass on the fue opens them up a bunch as well as the crossover upgrade.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ar.../t-196501.html

http://www.skiingninja.com/Magnepan-...-p/mag16nn.htm - this is not for the MMG, but a very good template of "how to"

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...azmon/mmg.html

Enjoy.

Dave

Thread Information