$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default troels gravesen dtqwt mkII ?

Has anyone built these or heard these? I read that they were designed for low wattage amps and still able to deliver very high spl.My consern is that they might not be for me as I use an outlaw 7500 (200@8ohm 300@4ohm.I am running the statements right now,and while I do love their sound I think I may have pushed them a little to hard as they have seemed to of lost some detail.I would like to build a speaker that can handle some high spl without straining.so do you think the dtqwts are for me or would my money be better spent els wear,if so any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your comments.

ps, I listen to mostly rock music, anything from neil yong to tool

Default Re: troels gravesen dtqwt mkII ?

has anyone even listen to these things????????

I like to visit his website. He really has some nice looking speakers. Have you read all the builders pages? It's a fairly high sensitivity speaker, uses PA speakers.

It was built to use with low wattage tube amps. If you're blowing up your Statements, perhaps a PA based design is for you, perhaps more in the Econowave vein, with a prosound woofer and compression horn. No, I haven't heard any of Troel's designs.

Yeah I'd like to build a set one day, just the $1500 for parts that gets me.
    रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत

return to the source

Default yes

It is a very long story but at one point about two years ago I landed a pair of the Trollsgraven ProAc clones verson 6x. It started with me helping helping some guy out who really needed money and had what he thought were these clones but they sounded really bad. Not the opinion bad like "gee, I prefer a little more in the midrange" bad but the "oof mien got, shut them off" bad. So I slowly decompsed them to try to figure out why a seemingly popular speaker would sound so lousy. I got to the end with them completely dissassembled and never figured it out. So then I had all these parts that equaled an early version of the ProAc clone. So I went to the trollsgraven site and ran through the 42346733 pages of discussion and rebuild the speakers to his V6.2 with new cabinets and everything.

So at this time I also had three other speakers I was working and had them all on an ABC switch. Well, the ProAc clones never sounded that great and I knew it had a lot to do with the fact that they were lower efficiency than all the other speakers I was working with, so as I ABCed to death, the ProAc always sounded off.

I decided to sell them and put them on CL. Some guy heads over and I pull all the other speakers into the corner and spend an hour really carefully setting up the ProAc clones with no switch and all alone in perfect alignment. (it should be noted that at version 6x of the XO, they measured nothing like the ProAc so it is just a name).

The guy shows up and I sit behind him as he goes through a number of really decent test tracks. This is the first time I really gave these speakers a chance and wow, as I listened I grew to really like the sound. By the time he shut down and turned to tell me he would take them at full price I was really hoping he would not. They were just wonderful to be in front of. Beautiful stage and delicate.

So, I would gladly build another Trollsgraven speaker in a minute. This guy took a mediocre speaker and totally nailed it.

P
    My speaker site: www.helarc.com

I'm taking a long shot here but I just put all my ht equipment up on ebay. The plan is to use the money I get to finance this project, there should be enough left over to pick up a used 2 channel amp (maybe one of those knock off chines diy amp kits).I kept going back and forth betwen 7.1 or a killer 2 channel. I guess I finaly made up my mind.

A couple of times I put the ol'e projection unit up in the 2 channel room and it sounds pretty good with the full range speakers. There is something to be said for no-subs.
    P
    My speaker site: www.helarc.com

just a shameless plug for myself

the items I'm selling on ebay are:

OUTLAW 7500

CROWN CE 1000

YAMAHA M-50

INTEGRA DTC 9.8

ATLANTIC TEACHNOLOGY SP-8000

YAMAHA M-35

If you are interested in any of these send me a pm.I will list this stuff in the classifieds too.
    Last edited by mike15; 02-20-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot an item

I admire your commitment.

Thread Information