The Lunch Box
Shopped, but could not find a small portable speaker system for my iPod, so decided it would be a good DIY project. The result, pictured below, is the "Lunch Box".
- Small portable speaker system
- Self contained
- Using iPod as the signal source
- Battery, or A/C powered
- Protection for iPod
- Small tool box (Harbor Freight Item #36870)
- 2 090-805 9V Battery Clip
- 2 140-972 4 AA Cell Battery Holder
- 1 265-243 Pyramid 438GS 4" Coaxial Speaker Pair
- 1 120-052 12 VDC 2000mA Switching Power Supply US and EU Power Plugs
- 1 300-385 Dayton Audio DTA-2 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Module
- 1 090-317 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack
- 1 090-479 2.5mm Panel Mount DC Jack
- 1 260-782 XTC 4" Foam Baffle Pair
- 1 240-096 3.5mm Stereo Male To Male Cable 1 ft.
The box opens to reveal the DTA-2, housed on a clam shell sun glass case. Note the secure inside mount for the iPod, batteries and storage for the optional A/C power supply. There's also room for spare batteries, cables and a beer, or two!
The inside front of the case holds the on/off volume control and the Pyramid speakers. Note they are protected and baffled by the XTC 4" foam baffles.
Alternatively, the iPod can be moved from the inside mounting location to the outside, where it is connected using a short cable to a 3.5 mm jack located on the side of the unit. Note the jack for the A/C power supply and DPDT for switching from battery to external power.
In summary this little boom box, while not having the punch to power a party, more than meets my design objectives.
Last edited by jaycgl; 03-09-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
Tags for this Thread
Your #1 Source for Audio, Video & Speaker Building Components
Deal of the Day
View Our latest
Order our FREE 336 Page Full Color Catalog
Speaker Component Categories
Home Audio Speakers
Professional Audio & Guitar Speakers
Car Audio Speakers
Measurement & Design Tools
Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers
Full-Range Plate Amplifiers
Cabinet Hardware & Speaker
Subwoofer System Kits
Speaker Repair Parts